Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5640
View in threaded mode

Subject: "overtightening lugnuts" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
1TuffRSJan-14-02 07:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5640, "overtightening lugnuts"

is it possible to overtighten the lugnuts??? Cuz my right rear rim is making some strange noises {kind of like a scrubing noise that gets faster and faster as I speed up) and it gets worse when I brake, so im thinking this may be the problem.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
davedJan-14-02 07:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
665 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5641, "RE: overtightening lugnuts"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes you can overtighten lugs but they shouldn't make the wheel not turn. You just won't be able to get the bolts off the next time you take you wheels off. I had a shop overtighten my lugs once and it was a pain in the ass to fix. 2 snaped off and 2 more I had to go get torched off. Tip never let a shop use an air gun on your lugs thats how they fucked mine up.

1999 Eclipse RS (all show)
1990 Turbo Eclipse (race)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1TuffRSJan-14-02 08:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#5642, "RE: overtightening lugnuts"
In response to Reply # 1

so overtightening wouldnt make the rim make the strange noise then huh?? Maybe I got a rock or something stuck in there, Ill have to check when i get out of class

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

Ryan_HesJan-14-02 08:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#5643, "RE: overtightening lugnuts"
In response to Reply # 2

Does the noise happening more often when turning a certain direction? If so, check that all lugs are tight enough. I had 2 loose ones one time, took it to a shop and they said they were just loose, and tightened em for free.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

1TuffRSJan-14-02 08:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#5644, "RE: overtightening lugnuts"
In response to Reply # 3

no not really it only gets worse when I brake and I can tell that it is definitely coming from the rear driver side of the car. I thought that it was the exhaust at first, but I got the OBX muffler welded on today (which sounds beautiful) and I asked the muffler shop to see if it could see what would be banging and to fix it and that did fix the problem with the exhaust but now im hearing this scrubbing sound. Its irritating as hell scrub...scrub...scrub its loud too

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

vegasdsmrJan-14-02 08:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#5645, "RE: overtightening lugnuts"
In response to Reply # 4

check your brake pads, the little metal part might be rubbing, creating the noise.

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

FuSi0NJan-14-02 08:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1762 posts,
#5646, "RE: overtightening lugnuts"
In response to Reply # 3

One of my lug bolts broke off one day when I was taking my wheels off, does anyone know what I'll need to replace?

"Liberate Tutemea Ex Infernis"
More pics at www.cyn0sure.homestead.com

vegasdsmrJan-14-02 09:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#5647, "RE: overtightening lugnuts"
In response to Reply # 6

a new lug nut, i have several that i yanked from the junk yard, email me, and ill send ya what u need

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

1TuffRSJan-14-02 09:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#5648, "RE: overtightening lugnuts"
In response to Reply # 7

well I have an rs so I dont have disk brakes in the rear I have drums and dont have a clue how to check the pads?? Can anyone help out with that??

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

1TuffRSJan-14-02 09:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#5649, "RE: overtightening lugnuts"
In response to Reply # 8

wait a minute, that cant be it though, because it was making this noise when I had the 14's on the car, its got something to do with the rims, either is something stuck in there or something. I dunno, ill check it out when I get a chance.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

davedJan-14-02 09:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
665 posts,
#5650, "RE: overtightening lugnuts"
In response to Reply # 9

Hey Fusion to fix you problem you need a new stud. You can get them from Satan for about $3 a stud, plus you will need a new lug nut unless you can get the part that broke off out of the old lug nut. It's not that simple of a process to fix, to put new studs in you have to take off the brakes and do it from the inside. Not hard just takes some time.

1999 Eclipse RS (all show)
1990 Turbo Eclipse (race)

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5640 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic