Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectovertightening lugnuts
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=5640
5640, overtightening lugnuts
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
is it possible to overtighten the lugnuts??? Cuz my right rear rim is making some strange noises {kind of like a scrubing noise that gets faster and faster as I speed up) and it gets worse when I brake, so im thinking this may be the problem.
5641, RE: overtightening lugnuts
Posted by daved, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes you can overtighten lugs but they shouldn't make the wheel not turn. You just won't be able to get the bolts off the next time you take you wheels off. I had a shop overtighten my lugs once and it was a pain in the ass to fix. 2 snaped off and 2 more I had to go get torched off. Tip never let a shop use an air gun on your lugs thats how they fucked mine up.
5642, RE: overtightening lugnuts
so overtightening wouldnt make the rim make the strange noise then huh?? Maybe I got a rock or something stuck in there, Ill have to check when i get out of class
5643, RE: overtightening lugnuts
Posted by Ryan_Hes, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Does the noise happening more often when turning a certain direction? If so, check that all lugs are tight enough. I had 2 loose ones one time, took it to a shop and they said they were just loose, and tightened em for free.
5644, RE: overtightening lugnuts
no not really it only gets worse when I brake and I can tell that it is definitely coming from the rear driver side of the car. I thought that it was the exhaust at first, but I got the OBX muffler welded on today (which sounds beautiful) and I asked the muffler shop to see if it could see what would be banging and to fix it and that did fix the problem with the exhaust but now im hearing this scrubbing sound. Its irritating as hell scrub...scrub...scrub its loud too
5645, RE: overtightening lugnuts
Posted by vegasdsmr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
check your brake pads, the little metal part might be rubbing, creating the noise.
5646, RE: overtightening lugnuts
Posted by FuSi0N, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
One of my lug bolts broke off one day when I was taking my wheels off, does anyone know what I'll need to replace?
5647, RE: overtightening lugnuts
Posted by vegasdsmr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
a new lug nut, i have several that i yanked from the junk yard, email me, and ill send ya what u need
5648, RE: overtightening lugnuts
well I have an rs so I dont have disk brakes in the rear I have drums and dont have a clue how to check the pads?? Can anyone help out with that??
5649, RE: overtightening lugnuts
wait a minute, that cant be it though, because it was making this noise when I had the 14's on the car, its got something to do with the rims, either is something stuck in there or something. I dunno, ill check it out when I get a chance.
5650, RE: overtightening lugnuts
Posted by daved, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey Fusion to fix you problem you need a new stud. You can get them from Satan for about $3 a stud, plus you will need a new lug nut unless you can get the part that broke off out of the old lug nut. It's not that simple of a process to fix, to put new studs in you have to take off the brakes and do it from the inside. Not hard just takes some time.
5651, RE: overtightening lugnuts
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Shops will charge around 40 bucks labor to replace broken studs on a wheel. The do have to take off the brake caliper and knock the old stud out, and then put the new ones in from behind.
5652, RE: overtightening lugnuts
Posted by JJPhatStrat, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yep...i recently lost 3 bolts. Luckily it was the shop's fault for using that dayum air thingie so they replaced them for free. About the weird warping sound...i had that too! i had it when i had my 14's on the car though...and it was because i had recently gotten one new tire. it sounds like your noise might be a little different than mine, (mine didnt get louder when i braked) but if its the same then thats what it is. its the tire(s). what was causing the tire to do that? i have no idea.

JJ
www.geocities.com/jjphatstrrat/fuzzy
5653, RE: overtightening lugnuts
Posted by Mystic511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
maybe your rims are rubbing on your brake calipers?
5654, RE: overtightening lugnuts
found the problem. after i got out of class I was going to try to loosen them but they were already loose. I was riding around with a wheel that was about to fall off :( I forgot to tighten the lugnuts again after I put the car down. Glad I caught it when i did
5655, RE: overtightening lugnuts
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What siz tires u got on there? If you are lowered, the fender might be touching the tires at higher speeds and over bumps. If it is a scratchy sound or sounds like u bottom out, it is probably the tires being too big. The biggest you can go is 215-45-17 I had to go with 205-40 and plan to go 215-40 next time.
I generated this page in 0.0095880031585693 seconds, executing 7 queries.