Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5156
View in threaded mode

Subject: "cv boot" Previous topic | Next topic
optimuspetersonDec-18-01 06:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5156, "cv boot"

i just recently found out that my drivers side cv boot is split open. how hard is this to fix. what do i do. is it bad to drive it like this?

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
optimuspetersonDec-19-01 06:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5157, "RE: cv boot"
In response to Reply # 0

anyone?

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

iamnotwhoiamDec-19-01 07:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#5158, "RE: cv boot"
In response to Reply # 1

yeah having that boot busted can ruin the joint inside if not taken care of soon enough.. in my old car i had a split in the cv joint boot and still drove on it for 1year + but not always the safest thing to do... well as far as a way to fix it.. i think there are kits available at most auto parts stores, but be sure to get the one that isnt split down the middle they are easier to put on but i hear they dont last as long.. for putting a new one on you will have to remove wheel-hub-brakes to get to it, if you or have some friends help be sure to have some air tools handy cause that stuff dont like to come loose very easy...

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Amish_EclipseDec-19-01 02:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#5159, "RE: cv boot"
In response to Reply # 2

yeah it's not good to do but pretty common. you can just get the boot it shouldn't be to hard and labor on it sshouldn't hit you over the head. but that boot holds in grease. the grease lubes the cv bearings. note: cv stands for constant velocity so these things don't rev with the engine they move with te wheels so grease is sooooooo important here.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

rpm97talonDec-20-01 02:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#5160, "RE: cv boot"
In response to Reply # 3

hey bro just go buy a new axle at a napa or auto zone. I think I bought both of mine awile back for around 40-60$ a piece. The deal with the grease and the clamps is a big mess. And yes you will need power tools cause believe me you wont be able to get off the axle nut. Its takes something like 240 ft/lbs of torque. And get the 22mm socket to remove it. later mike

stage BIG custom mj racing turbo set up, built block.worked head,all tial components, hks evcez,spearco 992,oh yeah and a huge bottle in the trunk last run all turbo 13.8@108 no nos dyno'd at AEBS in Cali with 300+ hp to the wheels

Amish_EclipseDec-20-01 02:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#5161, "RE: cv boot"
In response to Reply # 4

hehe 240ft/lbs with hand tools. that's almost me sitting on the fucker

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5156 Previous topic | Next topic