Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectcv boot
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=5156
5156, cv boot
Posted by optimuspeterson, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i just recently found out that my drivers side cv boot is split open. how hard is this to fix. what do i do. is it bad to drive it like this?
5157, RE: cv boot
Posted by optimuspeterson, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
anyone?
5158, RE: cv boot
Posted by iamnotwhoiam, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah having that boot busted can ruin the joint inside if not taken care of soon enough.. in my old car i had a split in the cv joint boot and still drove on it for 1year + but not always the safest thing to do... well as far as a way to fix it.. i think there are kits available at most auto parts stores, but be sure to get the one that isnt split down the middle they are easier to put on but i hear they dont last as long.. for putting a new one on you will have to remove wheel-hub-brakes to get to it, if you or have some friends help be sure to have some air tools handy cause that stuff dont like to come loose very easy...
5159, RE: cv boot
Posted by Amish_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah it's not good to do but pretty common. you can just get the boot it shouldn't be to hard and labor on it sshouldn't hit you over the head. but that boot holds in grease. the grease lubes the cv bearings. note: cv stands for constant velocity so these things don't rev with the engine they move with te wheels so grease is sooooooo important here.
5160, RE: cv boot
Posted by rpm97talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hey bro just go buy a new axle at a napa or auto zone. I think I bought both of mine awile back for around 40-60$ a piece. The deal with the grease and the clamps is a big mess. And yes you will need power tools cause believe me you wont be able to get off the axle nut. Its takes something like 240 ft/lbs of torque. And get the 22mm socket to remove it. later mike
5161, RE: cv boot
Posted by Amish_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hehe 240ft/lbs with hand tools. that's almost me sitting on the fucker
I generated this page in 0.0081131458282471 seconds, executing 7 queries.