Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33776
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?" Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45Feb-06-13 07:22 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33776, "Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?"

Hey guys,

I'm installing the full Prothane bushing kit right now. Once I've got everything back together do I still need to load the suspension before I torque everything down?

After market bushings pivot freely unlike the stock ones right?

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ModeratortekleinFeb-06-13 07:24 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33777, "RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?"
In response to Reply # 0

I did. I always stuck a jack with a 2x4 under the lateral control arm and jacked until that corner just came off the stand.

Then torque away!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Gruff511Feb-07-13 09:24 AM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33778, "RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?"
In response to Reply # 1

Do you HAVE to load the suspension though with prothane bushings? OR is it personal preference?

ModeratorbullettdsmFeb-07-13 03:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#33779, "RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?"
In response to Reply # 2

I did not and I can't really see a reason why you HAVE to. All parts will fall to their "normal" position.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

MCubed45Feb-07-13 07:02 PM
2706 posts,
#33780, "RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by bullettdsm
I did not and I can't really see a reason why you HAVE to. All parts will fall to their "normal" position.

Ok that's what I thought. When tightened, the arms definitely do not bind in place like with the stock bushings.

-marc

Gruff511Feb-09-13 10:02 PM
203 posts,
#33781, "RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?"
In response to Reply # 4

Okay good to know. Im about to install my prothane master bushing set. Anybody got and idea of how many hours it will take using air tools? Im just trying to get an idea so I can pick a day to knock it all out. Thanks

MCubed45Feb-10-13 12:23 AM
2706 posts,
#33782, "RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Gruff511
Okay good to know. Im about to install my prothane master bushing set. Anybody got and idea of how many hours it will take using air tools? Im just trying to get an idea so I can pick a day to knock it all out. Thanks

I don't have air tools but i'd say it took me 10-12 hours to do one of the rears. Most of that time was spent getting the old bushings out though (8 per side on the rear). If you have a press things will be much faster. This was also my first time doing suspension work. I'm sure the other side will be much faster for me. I'll probably do it in pieces also rather than trying to do all the arms at once. (car's my DD so i had to finish everything once i started).

-marc

Gruff511Feb-10-13 09:49 AM
203 posts,
#33784, "RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?"
In response to Reply # 6

Okay thanks that gives me a good est. time

MCubed45Feb-27-13 09:37 PM
2706 posts,
#33788, "RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Gruff511
Okay thanks that gives me a good est. time

Also be sure to take apart the bushing for the inboard side of the lateral arm and toe adjustment arm. It came assembled and looked like 1 solid piece and was giving me a bitch of time trying to get it lined up. The piece is actually an outer meter sleeve, 2 pieces of poly pushed in from either side, and an inner sleeve. It comes apart with some prying and pulling. IDK why that one doesn't come disassembled like all the other bushings.

Also we don't use that extra spacer. It's an AWD only part. It'd be nice if the parts list indicated that...

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33776 Previous topic | Next topic