Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectProthane bushings - still have to load suspension?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33776
33776, Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys,

I'm installing the full Prothane bushing kit right now. Once I've got everything back together do I still need to load the suspension before I torque everything down?

After market bushings pivot freely unlike the stock ones right?
33777, RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I did. I always stuck a jack with a 2x4 under the lateral control arm and jacked until that corner just came off the stand.

Then torque away!
33778, RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?
Posted by Gruff511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Do you HAVE to load the suspension though with prothane bushings? OR is it personal preference?
33779, RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I did not and I can't really see a reason why you HAVE to. All parts will fall to their "normal" position.

33780, RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?
Originally posted by bullettdsm
I did not and I can't really see a reason why you HAVE to. All parts will fall to their "normal" position.

Ok that's what I thought. When tightened, the arms definitely do not bind in place like with the stock bushings.

33781, RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?
Okay good to know. Im about to install my prothane master bushing set. Anybody got and idea of how many hours it will take using air tools? Im just trying to get an idea so I can pick a day to knock it all out. Thanks
33782, RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?
Originally posted by Gruff511
Okay good to know. Im about to install my prothane master bushing set. Anybody got and idea of how many hours it will take using air tools? Im just trying to get an idea so I can pick a day to knock it all out. Thanks

I don't have air tools but i'd say it took me 10-12 hours to do one of the rears. Most of that time was spent getting the old bushings out though (8 per side on the rear). If you have a press things will be much faster. This was also my first time doing suspension work. I'm sure the other side will be much faster for me. I'll probably do it in pieces also rather than trying to do all the arms at once. (car's my DD so i had to finish everything once i started).

33784, RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?
Okay thanks that gives me a good est. time
33788, RE: Prothane bushings - still have to load suspension?
Originally posted by Gruff511
Okay thanks that gives me a good est. time

Also be sure to take apart the bushing for the inboard side of the lateral arm and toe adjustment arm. It came assembled and looked like 1 solid piece and was giving me a bitch of time trying to get it lined up. The piece is actually an outer meter sleeve, 2 pieces of poly pushed in from either side, and an inner sleeve. It comes apart with some prying and pulling. IDK why that one doesn't come disassembled like all the other bushings.

Also we don't use that extra spacer. It's an AWD only part. It'd be nice if the parts list indicated that...
I generated this page in 0.007659912109375 seconds, executing 7 queries.