Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33348
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Rear Trailing Arm Question" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
electroheadJul-17-11 04:08 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33348, "Rear Trailing Arm Question"

Hey, guys. I've been looking into what has been causing me to wear out my tires in the back way to quickly. I've even had a shop check my suspension components while doing an alignment, and have been told everything is fine. I'm not convinced, and believe my rear trailing arms are shot. My car feels unsettled during highway drives. Nothing unsafe, but my car does not feel planted, almost like an older MR2, around turns. Is it possible to have the RTAs go bad, but not make any noise and have the alignment check out ok? And, not trying to sound dumb, but if the RTAs need replacement, will I have to get my car realigned? Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
2ndGen-ElTalonJul-17-11 04:24 PM
Member since May 26th 2010
88 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33349, "RE: Rear Trailing Arm Question"
In response to Reply # 0

I guess it could potentially happen under certain conditions, I.E Highway driving, I would look into it, they can still be in alignment with the Toe & Camber, but the joint still damaged, just over bumps, humps, lumps, etc...

I would look into it and see for yourself how much play they have, I like to use a crowbar for this, & the 9 & 3 o'clock on the wheel to see for play, if you don't feel like taking the tire off.

I would start there man, My 0.02 cents.

Jeff

Originally posted by 740TurboBrick

"Dsms run on Gasoline, DSMers run on Alcohol...Id bring a tank to refuel the DSMers..."

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Jul-17-11 05:51 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#33350, "RE: Rear Trailing Arm Question"
In response to Reply # 1

It is more likely a bushing is bad than the arm. The arms are just steel bars. Closely inspect the bushing at the top of your knuckle for deterioration.

---

2012 2500HD LML

electroheadJul-17-11 05:58 PM
182 posts,
#33351, "RE: Rear Trailing Arm Question"
In response to Reply # 2

I thought the bars and bushings were one unit, with bump-stops on either side. In that case, it's going to be alot cheaper than I thought. Being that the car is a 95, I think it's safe to say the bushings are gone. Will I need to realign the car once I replace the bushings?

electroheadJul-18-11 09:17 AM
182 posts,
#33352, "RE: Rear Trailing Arm Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Another stupid question: I was looking at the CAPS and there are two trailing arm bushing stoppers on both sides of the trailing arms. Do they just act as protection from debris or are they integral to the function of the trailing arms? Basically what I'm asking is can I reuse them or should they be replaced as well? Sorry for questions, but suspensions are definitely a weak point for me and something I'm trying to learn more about.

AdministratorCODE4Jul-18-11 09:22 AM
2552 posts,
#33353, "RE: Rear Trailing Arm Question"
In response to Reply # 4
Jul-18-11 09:26 AM by CODE4

What stopper are you talking about?

EDIT: I think I see what you are talking about. Why not just replace the bushings with some urethane ones? Prothane makes them. I think when the Prothane replacements are in, you do not use any of the stock parts.

---

2012 2500HD LML

electroheadJul-18-11 09:37 AM
182 posts,
#33354, "RE: Rear Trailing Arm Question"
In response to Reply # 5

Part numbers 41324B and 41324C. I want to replace them with OEM since this car is just a daily and I'm currently saving money (or at least trying to) for a rust free 2GNT to be my fun car.

electroheadJul-27-11 07:02 PM
182 posts,
#33371, "RE: Rear Trailing Arm Question"
In response to Reply # 6

Well, I ordered my trailing arms and hardware yesterday. For haha's I went to a shop to get a quote on labor and was told it would cost $280 (without an alignment). They were trying to tell me it's a complicated process and it takes 2 hours per side, and that's a best case scenario. I called bullshit, asking how difficult is it to change a part that is easily reached and held together by two bolts. Within a couple of seconds( with a bit of stuttering and a look deer give right before they meet a speeding truck), the quote dropped to $240 (and the excuse was that he looked up the wrong info, even though he didn't go back on the computer a second time). So, needless to say, I'm changing my arms myself at a co-worker's house (air compressor and tools galore) and saving myself a heap of cash. All I'll have to spend is $70 for an alignment. I can live with that. It may be hot outside, but not hot enough to spend that kind of cash.

dalesmitsuJul-27-11 09:21 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#33372, "RE: Rear Trailing Arm Question"
In response to Reply # 7

Do you have access to a air compressor and impact gun. It'll take 5-10 mintues per side. If not try get a cordless impact from harbor freight. I changed the same trailing arms on my brothers camaro. Different car but its same procedure.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

AdministratorCODE4Jul-27-11 09:24 PM
2552 posts,
#33373, "RE: Rear Trailing Arm Question"
In response to Reply # 8

If you bothered to read his post, he already addressed that

---

2012 2500HD LML

2ndGen-ElTalonJul-28-11 04:11 PM
Member since May 26th 2010
88 posts,
#33374, "RE: Rear Trailing Arm Question"
In response to Reply # 9

Just full of funny post's today on the forum!

I think he's got it covered though, Sounds like he's got the right attitude about it anyways.

Jeff.

Originally posted by 740TurboBrick

"Dsms run on Gasoline, DSMers run on Alcohol...Id bring a tank to refuel the DSMers..."

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33348 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic