Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26930
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
Jerm23Aug-11-04 09:50 AM
Member since Jul 07th 2004
75 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26930, "Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"

I've been hearing this nasty clunking/rattling noise for a while now and I asked the shop who was changing my coolant to check it out. They said it looked like my struts were blown and I needed new sway bar links. I believed them on the strut since the previous owner had sportlines on stock struts (dumbass). So I changed the rear struts and sway bar links myself (have yet to do the front) and the noise is still there. The sway bar link was visibly loose and after changing that the rattling noise is gone but I still have the clunking sound (I hope this makes sense). Anything else I could check out? It doesn't make the sound if I push down on the back of the car when parked, only when I'm driving and going over bumps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'99 Eclipse GS-T
HRC Stage II
w/walboro 155lph, 30# injectors
Clarion AutoPC 310C
Avionixx
DEI Viper
IDQ12

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
FarOutKuckiAug-11-04 10:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2719 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26931, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 0

ball joint? have you done the recall?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Jerm23Aug-11-04 10:37 AM
75 posts,
#26932, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 1

hmmm not sure, when was the recall. When I purchased my car 2.5 years ago I took it to a dealership and they said all the recalls were done on it. was it more recent than that ? I'm not the original owner so I don't think I'd get recall notices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'99 Eclipse GS-T
HRC Stage II
Clarion AutoPC 310C
Avionixx
DEI Viper
IDQ12

Jerm23Aug-11-04 11:39 AM
75 posts,
#26933, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 2

Well I called the dealership and the ball joint recall was done on my car in 2002. Also the ball joints are in the front and the noise is coming from the rear of the car <<<boy did I feel stupid when I called and asked him if my rear ball joints were changed under recall lol

The service guy said to just bring in my car during lunch and give him a ride around so he can hear the noise and see if he can diagnose it for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'99 Eclipse GS-T
HRC Stage II
Clarion AutoPC 310C
Avionixx
DEI Viper
IDQ12

98redtalonAug-11-04 06:01 PM
Member since Sep 29th 2003
86 posts,
#26934, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 3

This may sound kinda stupid but did you check your spare tire and jack???? Mine where lose and banged for months until I just removed them. Wouldn't hurt to check and it's real easy to do. Just my .02

John

Garrett T3/T4 48/63, K&N, 60mm Jeep TB, Custom Log Manifold, 31x6x2.75 FMIC, Cartech FPR, 2.5" SS Catback, Accel Wires, NGK Plugs, Grounding Kit, Eibach Adjustable Coilovers /w Tokico Blues, TSW VX-1 Chrome 17x9, Toyo Proxies 245-45ZR17's

Official Talon Brethren Member #5

Finally Turbo'd!!! Now to the track

TalontaxiAug-11-04 06:40 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
#26935, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 4

Possibly your strut mount.Its worth a check.

run4cvrAug-11-04 06:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2477 posts,
#26936, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 5

Could be your rear knuckle bushing. Mine went out and made that same noise. Also like said above, rear strut could be bad.

John 96 GS

Jerm23Aug-12-04 02:56 AM
75 posts,
#26937, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 6

I'll have the rear knuckle bushing checked. I don't think it's my strut or strut mount since I changed both of them when I changed my struts (Tokico Blues), I got one of those strut mount kits. I don't think it's the strut since it's still only happenning on the right side. It would be a big coincidence if my Tokico strut is bad on the same side it's been making the noise. If I go over a bump with just the left side of the car there's no noise. I'm taking my car to the dealership during lunch and the head tech said I could drive him around and he'll check it out to see what it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'99 Eclipse GS-T
HRC Stage II
Clarion AutoPC 310C
Avionixx
DEI Viper
IDQ12

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-12-04 06:02 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#26938, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 7

make sure the exhaust mounts arent broken andthe exhaust is hitting the spare tire well.

Terry

96 Eagle talon ESI
Greddy header - Greddy exhaust

97 Eclipse
Star Stage II - Boost/oil/EGT gauges - Apexi N1 3" exhaust - SFMU/return line - Apexi SAFC - Stage 2 6 puck Sprung hub MIBA clutch - Shortened shifter - Koni Yellows w/eibach prokit - Stillen Fr/Rr swaybars - ceramic intake - DEI Keyless entry alarm - Niche 17" Shoks

Waiting to be installed: HKS EVC IV, 450 Turbo injectors, GSX Front brakes (need rotors)

Mitchell on Demand copies available

Chip176583Aug-12-04 05:43 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2003
182 posts,
#26939, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 8

I had that same problem with mine..everytime I went over a bump it banged loud as hell. It turned out to be teh rubber bushing at the top of the wheel well. It was totally rotted out so i replaced it with some large sing washer from home depot.

scarecrowAug-12-04 08:23 PM
Member since Aug 02nd 2004
11 posts,
#26940, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 9

Have the same problem.

I took it to a local garage and they quoted me near 100 on changing out the knuckle and tie rod bushings, along with the shocks. The noise reportedly was from the knuckle bushing. its my back right wheel as well. Amazing how these things wear in the exact same way....

scare

Aftermarket additions:
several small dents on top and hood
added thumb size crack to exhaust manifold (Highest Quality)
rust.
Added several paint chips to front bumper
Added ingenious door locking mechanism that makes passenger side door never open again, even when removing door panel
Added krylon paint to intire entior... which turns wet again in the summer.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26930 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic