Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26930
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
Jerm23Aug-11-04 09:50 AM
Member since Jul 07th 2004
75 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26930, "Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"

I've been hearing this nasty clunking/rattling noise for a while now and I asked the shop who was changing my coolant to check it out. They said it looked like my struts were blown and I needed new sway bar links. I believed them on the strut since the previous owner had sportlines on stock struts (dumbass). So I changed the rear struts and sway bar links myself (have yet to do the front) and the noise is still there. The sway bar link was visibly loose and after changing that the rattling noise is gone but I still have the clunking sound (I hope this makes sense). Anything else I could check out? It doesn't make the sound if I push down on the back of the car when parked, only when I'm driving and going over bumps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'99 Eclipse GS-T
HRC Stage II
w/walboro 155lph, 30# injectors
Clarion AutoPC 310C
Avionixx
DEI Viper
IDQ12

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
TalontaxiAug-14-04 12:01 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26941, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 10

You have tie rods on your rear wheels?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

wite96gsAug-17-04 02:08 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
365 posts,
#26942, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 11

this might sound stupid, but did you try having a passenger push up on rear hatch glass? I have a similar problem and I just realized what it was this weekend on my way home from OH(9hours behind the wheel, you get bored), found out that it is my hatch hinges that are making a rattling/clunking sound. so now my hatch hinges sound just like my hood hinges.... YEAH! GL

SpreadEagleAug-17-04 02:20 PM
Member since May 29th 2003
459 posts,
#26943, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 12

$20 on rear knuckle bushing

95ESI-cai,borla,sportlines,kyb,tsw
more on the way

Redmachine97Aug-17-04 06:57 PM
Member since Apr 04th 2004
27 posts,
#26944, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 13

Ihad this problem with a different car, it was 2 things, 1 can't be for eclipses...It was a rear diff mount(240z) and the other was just bad shocks,going down the road, hit a bump it would slam down hard with a thump. I replaced the springs and the strut/ bumpstop and no longer had that problem

And no Flame Returns

qtxdevilOct-01-04 02:32 AM
Member since Jul 10th 2003
18 posts,
#26945, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Chip176583
I had that same problem with mine..everytime I went over a bump it banged loud as hell. It turned out to be the rubber bushing at the top of the wheel well. It was totally rotted out so i replaced it with some large sing washer from home depot.

he is absolutely right...it happens to alot of 2g eclipse that are lowered...the only replacement bushings that i have found are energy suspension...they sell the kit for the rear only which is like $50 (summitracing.com)...you do not have the buy the complete kit for your whole car...the dealer doesnt even sell just the bushing...they sell it with the whole arm only...

ForceFedAug-17-04 10:58 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2003
153 posts,
#26946, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 0

Is this problem fixed? If so, what was it?

When is the money spending going to stop on this fucking car?!

Dave41079Aug-17-04 11:06 PM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
485 posts,
#26947, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 16

Do you have a rear strut tower bar? My hatch cover rubs on my rear STB, and if I go over a bump it pops sometimes when they hit.

Lets just say this... I'm over 100whp and soon to cross 200whp. Thanx 2GNT! Now if I could only learn to prove it.

Jerm23Aug-18-04 10:44 AM
Member since Jul 07th 2004
75 posts,
#26948, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 17
Aug-18-04 10:44 AM by Jerm23

Well the shop told me I needed to replace the top metal piece of the strut mount. I really don't think that's what's making the noise but for $11 I'll try and change it. They said that's all they think it is. I really doubt it though. I'm going to replace it this weekend and see what happens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'99 Eclipse GS-T
HRC Stage II
w/walboro 155lph, 30# injectors
Clarion AutoPC 310C
Avionixx
DEI Viper
IDQ12

wite96gsSep-30-04 07:46 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
365 posts,
#26949, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by Jerm23
Well the shop told me I needed to replace the top metal piece of the strut mount. I really don't think that's what's making the noise but for $11 I'll try and change it. They said that's all they think it is. I really doubt it though. I'm going to replace it this weekend and see what happens.

I know this is an old post, but did this^^^ fix the problem?? I'm starting to get the same clunking now, but in addition to that, I'm getting it in the front passenger side too

ModeratorEvuLFleAApr-18-05 07:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#26950, "RE: Clunking noise coming from rear passenger side when hitting bumps..wtf is it???"
In response to Reply # 19
Apr-18-05 07:24 AM by admin4

Sweet, my turn for this now. Haven't had a chance to yank the wheel off yet to look though. Guess I'll try the ES bushings. Yes, I know it's old.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26930 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic