Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #23093
View in threaded mode

Subject: "upgrading brakes is pointless." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
chrysler kidMar-20-04 09:53 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23093, "upgrading brakes is pointless."
Mar-20-04 09:55 PM by chrysler kid

tell me how it makes you stop faster. it doesnt matter; there is a point where your tires wont grip if you slow down to quickly. i dont care if you have a $3000 barking system or the stock one stoping faster is more about weight distribution and tires on a car than it is about pads and rotors and calipers.

your wheels will lock up at the same speed, you will skidd the same distance. if your driving an abs car even then the brakes can only act so fast that the wheels dont slip on the asphalt so your still not gonna slow down any faster.

rotors, sure if your gonna be roadracing and all that and brake alot cooling is important

(wow i have never made a cockier post in my life)

11.65 @ 115

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
NackersMar-20-04 10:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1912 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23095, "RE: upgrading brakes is pointless."
In response to Reply # 0

I have 2 points why bigger rotors/calipers are better, even if we come to the conclusion that they don't decrease stopping distance.

~ With bigger brakes you don't have to put as much pressure on them to get the same results.

~Bigger brakes on a non-abs car should make the rotors last longer.

I still think that they would have to decrease stopping distance because with bigger rotors you need less pressure which will make the time it takes to get to a ceartin point shorter (even if its only by .001) and with a bigger surface area if one were to do it smart (not just mash the brakes causing them to lock up) would stop faster than a car with smaller rotors.

But really, I think this thread is useless without test results.

www.ChicagoArea240sx.Editboard.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

OldGuyMar-21-04 02:55 AM
Member since May 04th 2003
1077 posts,
#23099, "RE: upgrading brakes is pointless."
In response to Reply # 1

It is a fact of physics...larger area has more clamping force with the same pressure on the pedal. It means that the experienced driver will not have to mash the pedal to slow his rocket from 100+ mph. It has the added benefit of cooler surfaces due to less brake applied time. It also can indeed lock them up quicker. (see above, EXPERIENCED Driver) An ABS System pulses somewhere about 10-15 times per second. Even in some of the best systems, momentary (reaad that as fraction of a second) brake lock is common. For the average driver in a slightly modified car they are not totally necessary. It is almost more for asthetics. Large open wheel, Tiny rotors and calipers... I will agree with the tires greatly affecting braking performance. Redneck slicks (Lots here in VA) on dry pavement will stop faster due to more contact friction. Doesn't work that way in wet conditions. I guess what I am trying to say is that a larger brake system is not a waste. Done properly, it can be a valuable upgrade to any vehicle. Done wrong and you will be all over the road, in or even under somones trunk.

eclipse_99rsMar-21-04 04:27 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#23100, "RE: upgrading brakes is pointless."
In response to Reply # 2

less fade.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

a_miller_76Mar-21-04 04:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#23101, "RE: upgrading brakes is pointless."
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah, uhm, kid....your post may be cocky but it's also illogical and uneducated. If they didn't do shit then all manufacturers would put the same brakes in all cars

Fact of the matter is if you upgrade your brakes you WILL get better performance, and if you get tires with more grip you will get even more performance.

Hell I saw on HorsePowerTV a couple of weeks ago where they upgraded the brakes on a mustange and got like 30 less feet in stopping distance with NO upgrade in tires or wheels.

chrysler kidMar-21-04 06:31 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#23102, "RE: upgrading brakes on a dsm is pointless."
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-21-04 06:33 AM by chrysler kid

remeber tho on a mustang it has traction control and has abs. upgrading brakes pads and calipers really wont change your stopping distance. there is only so hard the calipers can push on the rotors and the pads before they lock. i suppose with a bigger caliper and a wider pad and larger rotors with an abs system you could see some benefit

11.65 @ 115

TeametxMar-21-04 06:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#23103, "RE: upgrading brakes on a dsm is pointless."
In response to Reply # 5

Larger rotors = more leverage = more stoping power. Good rotors will get rid of heat quicker, the cooler they are the better the friction material will work. It's simple really...

WickedESiMar-21-04 07:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#23105, "RE: upgrading brakes on a dsm is pointless."
In response to Reply # 6

Less Fade.

Less Fade.

Less Fade.

Easier to control.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

OldGuyMar-21-04 09:54 AM
Member since May 04th 2003
1077 posts,
#23106, "RE: upgrading brakes on a dsm is pointless."
In response to Reply # 5
Mar-21-04 09:56 AM by RickyMeeses

Originally posted by chrysler kid
remeber tho on a mustang it has traction control and has abs. upgrading brakes pads and calipers really wont change your stopping distance. there is only so hard the calipers can push on the rotors and the pads before they lock. i suppose with a bigger caliper and a wider pad and larger rotors with an abs system you could see some benefit

Let me try this again. Traction control on Fords and many other cars is in a sense ABS in reverse. Traction control isolates the drive wheel brakes from the non-drive and applies the brakes to prevent wheel slippage or traction loss. ABS uses solenoids to control the fluid pressure to prevent rapid loss of motion of the wheel. In other words it allows the wheels to keep turning without completely stopping while still slowing down. It does this by pulsing the pressure the driver is applyiing on the pedal through a dump valve, accumulator and numerous other components. If the brakes completely lock without letting go, there is a problem with the ABS system and the ABS light illuminates. Same principle for traction control. If the system is working properly, the brakes should never lock. With or without an ABS system, larger rotors, and pads with matching calipers WILL provide better stopping for ANY vehicle it is installed on. Another thing that benefits braking is the driver learning what his vehicle is and is not capable of as well as driving within those limits. Go outside them and I don't care what you are driving, you will cease to have that car and quite possibly your life or someone elses.
Class dismissed...

gilee_8Mar-21-04 09:54 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2002
1441 posts,
#23107, "RE: upgrading brakes is pointless."
In response to Reply # 0

OK kid... I have to say a few things.
Yes I am selling the GSX brake kit but I just want to state some facts and experiences I had ok.

1) The fact is, Physics said it all, if the surface area is larger, the more grip it will get. Yes you are right, if the wheel locks up, the car will skid. But if you say that, then WHY NOT all brakes just use a nail as the braking system? same thing right? why use a pad? (why not make the pad as small as a quarter?) duh...common sense coz the power of the brake will decrease as the surface area decreases.

2) Now my own experiences, when I first got my turbo installed. I did a run at the back of my college. a straight road with a STOP sign at the end then 200ft to another stop light. I accelerate and goes to 100+MPH, and I am about close to the stop sign and I try to stop, and after 2 second I FORCE MY WHOLE BODY on the brake, and the car still going (without skid) then I have to ran the stop sign while at 40MPH then stop at the red light. I got off and my brake is on smoke and the rotors is kinda growing red.. lol and my rotors are FUCKED!!! Now after 2 weeks I upgraded my brake to the GSX dual piston the brake pad and rotors are much biger. Now I tried the same thing, and I got to 100+MPH and I start braking before the stop sign... DAMN it's so easy... without much effort, my car stopped about 15 ft after the stop sign. I do mean died stop... and I got off the car...the brake has no smoke or anything.... and of course, the rotors I am still using now after 4 months.. So NOW PLEASE TELL ME WHY if a bigger brake system won't WORK???? TELL ME PLEASE!

Thank you. that's all I have to say!
Gil

P.S. I really think this post is kinda pointless.

~~~~~~~~Modification~~~~~~~~
Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...
Coming Soon: Water Injection, Redo Undercarriage, Repaint Exterior

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

1995 RED Eclipse GS-'T': Stage VI 20PSI
2010 Audi S5 Quattro

bulloxMar-21-04 10:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6702 posts,
#23109, "RE: upgrading brakes is pointless."
In response to Reply # 9

you are right CK, you have outsmarted all the performance car manufacturers' engineers including Porsche. They should hire you as a consultant

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #23093 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic