Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2246
View in threaded mode

Subject: "No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
gilee_8Jul-18-06 01:29 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2002
1441 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2246, "No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
Jul-18-06 03:16 PM by gilee_8

Sup guys.
I recieved all the parts I need to setup Megasquirt on my eclipse today, the parts are: FPR, injectors, MS-I chip, the Stimulator, and the relay board.
I already got the MS-II v3.0 last year.

So today I assembled the stimulator and try to test the MS v3.0 board with the MS-I chip on it.

Everything was good until I test the processor.
I tested the Power, all good. I tested the Communication part, all good. (the text I typed echo back to my hyperterminal)
Then I move on to the testing of the processor. (Step 40 for V3 board assembly guide)
I installed Megatune 2.25 on my laptop, and I set my serial port to com2. (I am using the dual serial port PC card)

I plug in my stimulator to the MS, and I connect the Serial cable, and I start up the Megatune.

I went into MTconfig.exe, but since I am not using MS-II chip, I don't have to config much right? also the MS-I chip should include the fireware already correct? (how do I check if I need to update the firmware?)

When Megatune first start, I get an error which it stated it usually a serious error, and it said it expect 0x14 but in result is 0x2?? something like that.
And after I close the dialog box for the above message.
I see all the gauges are CRAZY!, I go into tunning->realtime and all the bars in there are CRAZY too.

At the main screen of the megatune, I see the reset counter at the bottom right corner keep counting up and up (each time it Beeps). is that mean the Megasquirt system is being reseted constantly?
I recorded 2 video, one for the megastune screen, one for realtime screen.
http://www.rpi.edu/~leeg2/Megatune.wmv (870KB)
http://www.rpi.edu/~leeg2/Realtime.wmv (950KB)
(I just updated the movie file to make them alot smaller)

I have no clue what I can do now to fix the problem.
So I just put things aside now, and I hope some of you guys here might had this problem before and can point me to the right direction!

Thanks alot guys in advance!
Gilbert

~~~~~~~~Modification~~~~~~~~
Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...
Coming Soon: Water Injection, Redo Undercarriage, Repaint Exterior

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

1995 RED Eclipse GS-'T': Stage VI 20PSI
2010 Audi S5 Quattro

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
TeamXtremeRSJul-18-06 03:11 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2247, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-18-06 03:14 PM by XtremeRS

The MS kit/processor comes with just the standard MS code, "bowling&grippo" MS 1 code. You need to configure the Megatune 2.25 to read that version of code. You will want to run the "extra" series of code, which you need to find the latest stable realease version. You should have downloaded and installed the Megatune Configurator program, which is where you can configure megatune to use different versions of code. For example, MS1, MS Extra, ect..So for now, until you are ready to load the "extra" verson of code into the processor, just configure your megatune to read the basic MS1 code, which is all you need to see if the MS works and powers up. There is tons of info at msefi.com on how to load the "extra" series of code into the processor, it may be easier to you if you read up on it, rather than trying to explain it to you over here..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

gilee_8Jul-18-06 03:21 PM
1441 posts,
#2248, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 1

OK, Thanks alot for the quick reply.

I did ran the Megatune configurator program before I start Megatune.
And I picked the MS-I -- Bowling and Grippo MegaSquirt-I from the CODE_VARIANT.

So is that what you mean by I should pick?
I just want to see if I made my Megasquirt setup correctly or not.
And I thought the MS-I chip is pre-loaded the standard code in there.
And so that's why I picked the above option in CODE_VARIANT.

Should I pick something else?
Thanks!

Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSJul-19-06 03:03 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#2250, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 2

YOu have the correct variant chosen. When you load up the extra code, you have to select "msns extra" from the code list instead, which is what you need to run fuel and spark on the 420a.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Jul-19-06 06:23 AM
1441 posts,
#2252, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 3

OK.
But for now, I won't run spark yet, so I won't load the extra code until I run the spark.

But for now, the gauge and information shown in the realtime window is all crazy. things just keep bouncing around, and keep reseting every second. So is that normal?

Thanks.
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

rs-pssstJul-19-06 01:26 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2004
158 posts,
#2253, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 4

Sounds ok to me. Things will look random without input/output circuits wired up on the board.

keep pluggin away.

Teamner947Jul-19-06 03:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#2254, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 5

If you have the Stimulator and it is healthy and hooked up, nothing should be bouncing around. You should see the uptime climb to 255 then go back to 0, continuing back to 255... if it doesn't do this, you have work to do before you hook it to an actual engine.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

gilee_8Jul-19-06 06:05 PM
1441 posts,
#2256, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 6

OK, so there should be something wrong on my circuit on the MS board that I should check? yes, the time is SO fast, I cannot even see what number is on there. just bounce around.

Like the Batt v also. sometimes I see it bounce to like 29, or even 3x. It cannot be right. none of the value make sense.

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

Teamner947Jul-20-06 05:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#2258, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 7

Sounds like you have some debugging to do. Do you have a scope? check the 5 volt supply, the main clock (crystal), assorted bypass capacitors, etc... who built it? The instructions on the main MS site has a lot of good information on what order to build the board, testing each component before you build the next one.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

gilee_8Jul-25-06 05:11 PM
1441 posts,
#2284, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 8

I built it.

I checked everything.. Everything is good up to Step 40.

Here is more information on what I got today.

What I was saying about when I connect the MS unit to the MegaTune program, it will output an error message about expected and result value is different, I just printscreened the message and here it is:

As you can see in the pic also, the gauges are all bouncing around crazy. Same as the movie I posted above!.

Please give me advice on this!
Thanks all.
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Jul-25-06 06:00 PM
1441 posts,
#2285, "I believe I found out the problem (but why and how?)"
In response to Reply # 0

Sup guys.

I got the solution to fix this problem.
But I really don't understand why.

I used MegaTune 2.1.4 verison, and it works fine with my Megasquirt!
Everything is perfect and things are just working the way they should be.

So I try MegaTune 2.2.0 verison, and it kinda freakout at the first 2 second. (like all gauges go crazy) But then after that it is normal. And in the beginning when I start the program, it output a message saying the .ini file might be not compatible, and I click OK and it still works ok after the first 2 second.

Then I re-try MegaTune 2.2.5 verison, and it's back to before. I got the same result. a dialog pop out saying the "controller code verison doesn't match.... " (as I attached the pic in previous post) and of course, all gauges go insane.

So now I want to know, What should I do to fix this problem?
Or can this problem be fixed? is it that MS-I cannot use newer version of MegaTune? Am I stuck with 2.1.4 or 2.2.0? Or am I missing something here where I can update the Megasquirt??

Any sugguests or tips will be greatful!

Thanks alot.
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2246 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic