Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1592
View in threaded mode

Subject: "AEM EMS idea..." Previous topic | Next topic
95atlMar-30-04 11:58 AM
Member since Nov 11th 2003
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1592, "AEM EMS idea..."

Ok, so since the race version of the AEM EMS isn't out yet, and they don't make one for our cars, and the tec-3 is shown to cost well over $3000 once you buy all of the damn crank trigger bs and electromotive goodies, couldn't we theoretically buy a cheap AEM EMS system made for a civic off of ebay and make it work on our cars?

It seems to me that you would just need to chop off the wiring harness and make your own, and then create a new basemap, right? From what I've read about the upcoming race only EMS, is that it's basically a universal fit application with a generic basemap. Besides, you're going to have to spend many hours tuning the damn thing anyway, and I'm sure you can dig up enough basemap settings from other makes/models to get the car running.

Anyway, you can pick up a civic EMS for $1250, and as a post below demonstrated, it costs over $3k to get all of the parts necessary to run a tec-3, not to mention all of those dyno hours building your own basemap anyway. So what do you guys think?

Dan

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
extreme97ntMar-30-04 01:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1593, "RE: AEM EMS idea..."
In response to Reply # 0

It sounds like a good Idea but it is not as simple as you think. For one the sensors are different on a honda. Hondas also use distributers. No matter which standalone we go with we will need a 60 tooth trigger wheel. It will be more work than it is worth IMO. 034efi.com has sme nice units that are cheaper than 3k.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

rhuiMar-30-04 04:32 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2002
262 posts,
#1594, "RE: AEM EMS idea..."
In response to Reply # 1

I have a base map made for our cars.... running on the tec-3.

Yes its a stock map... but runs a little lean cause stock injectors are too small for this new map. A turbo one will follow soon.

MrSlickMar-30-04 06:04 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
#1595, "RE: AEM EMS idea..."
In response to Reply # 2

Blah... Megasquirt is way cheaper... and I had my car RUNNING with a VE map that I just made up!

And it didn't take much to get it tuned right either... Now that I have the Megasquirt installed I'll smack anyone that doesn;t at least consider it...lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

http://www.ms-custom.com

95atlMar-31-04 03:58 AM
Member since Nov 11th 2003
4 posts,
#1596, "RE: AEM EMS idea..."
In response to Reply # 3

Ok, but with the megasquirt, how do you handle ignition timing? (in the absence of the ultramegasquirt) Do you just let the stock computer take care of it? If so, how do you trick the knock sensor into not retarding when boost is present?

So basically, when you delete the stock computer, the only real way to control the ignition timing is via a crank trigger system? Thanks for the input!

Dan

theallpowerfulmeMar-31-04 07:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#1597, "RE: AEM EMS idea..."
In response to Reply # 4

the 2gnt has a knock sensor?

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

rhuiMar-31-04 05:32 PM
262 posts,
#1598, "RE: AEM EMS idea..."
In response to Reply # 5

our cars dont have a stock knock sensor...

and im not familiar with the megasquirt... does it replace stock ecu completely? How did u solve spedometer problem/charging system/AC probs?

TeamAvengerApr-01-04 06:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#1599, "RE: AEM EMS idea..."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by rhui

WHAT!!!!???? We do have a knock sensor from the factory stock.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-01-04 07:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1600, "RE: AEM EMS idea..."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by rhui

They most certainly do.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

rhuiApr-01-04 08:58 PM
262 posts,
#1601, "RE: AEM EMS idea..."
In response to Reply # 8

Ops... I dunno what the heck I was drinking that day. I meant to say we DO have a factory knock sensor... :/

my bad!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1592 Previous topic | Next topic