Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3174
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?" Previous topic | Next topic
quicksilver99May-04-07 01:45 PM
Member since May 02nd 2006
152 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3174, "Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?"

I am in the middle of my MS intall and plan on going turbo in the next few weeks, right now I have a pretty good tune N/A and am running Accel 48lbs injectors with fuel control only for now. I plan on adding in the ignition control after I build up my motor but the stock is more than sufficient for the 8lbs of boost I plan to run till then. My question is: with fuel control will I still hit some sort of "cut" when I enter boost? obviously I wont hit fuel cut, but will this affect ignition any? I would assume I still need the factory map for now but would it be alright to let it see boost or will it damage it? I know honda map's take 11 lbs before they blow out and was wondering if ours where the same. I've been a member on here for a while but usually stick to the search button. Just want to say thanks to everybody for all the help I've gotten on here.

Creative thinking? Ingenuity? Hell, It's just an obsession!

99 Eclipse GS turbo: MSpowered, everything custom built, 223.8 HP-199.8 TQ @8psi through auto-tranny. The first time around...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
WickedESiMay-05-07 10:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3175, "RE: Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?"
In response to Reply # 0
May-05-07 10:35 AM by WickedESi

How can it effect your fuel if the MS is controlling fuel?

Your ignition timing at any boost level will be about what it was when you went WOT on the stock engine. You won't damage the sensor, people run fuel only all the time.

If you want more control of your spark, run spark.

This should probably be in the MS forum.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

XMasta19May-05-07 02:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#3176, "RE: Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?"
In response to Reply # 1

+1

I ran fuel only just fine, in fact most people should indeed get used to the ms and the tune with fuel only first, then add the ignition timing control.

Your stock map sensor is fine, just the amount of boost you run will determine what size map sensor your ms requires.

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

quicksilver99May-10-07 12:46 PM
152 posts,
#3177, "RE: Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the info so far. And for now I only want fuel control so I can "get used to megasquirt". I have 48lb accel's in and have a great N/A tune and just waiting for boost. but just to be clear, I dont need a missing link or any type of FCD on my map sensor if I'm running fuel with MS?

99 Eclipse GS turbo: MSpowered, everything custom built, 223.8 HP-199.8 TQ @8psi through auto-tranny. The first time around...

WickedESiMay-10-07 02:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#3178, "RE: Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?"
In response to Reply # 3

Correct.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

quicksilver99May-10-07 04:01 PM
152 posts,
#3179, "RE: Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I get it up and running soon. And I'm deffinatly lookin forward to postin some pics of the install, two years of homework, money, sweat, blood and a lot of cursing is finally startin to pay off.

WickedESiMay-11-07 12:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#3180, "RE: Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?"
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah, post pics, and let us know about it. I like knowing about peoples Megasquirt details more than just about anything.

quicksilver99May-13-07 10:00 AM
152 posts,
#3183, "RE: Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok, so now that I have that taken care of I have another question. What about the factory O2? I have a AEM linear gauge-type UEGO, and the MS is running off of that. Can I ditch the front O2? I did away with the downstream one along time ago when I made my 2.5" stainless cat-back, wisconsin has no emissions, and just have a O2 sim under the driverseat. I know that one wont affect anything and I've had no CEL for that one. But what about the front?

WickedESiMay-13-07 10:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#3184, "RE: Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?"
In response to Reply # 7

Ditch it or run the narrow band output from the wide band to the stock ECU.

You'll be fine.

XMasta19May-14-07 09:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#3185, "RE: Question with MS install...factory map sensor needed?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by WickedESi
Ditch it or run the narrow band output from the wide band to the stock ECU. You'll be fine.

You don't even have to do that really, considering the dang stock ECU doesn't even like narrowband inputs from a wideband most of the time.

meh, I used my zeitronix output lol

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3174 Previous topic | Next topic