Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #292
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Questions about megasquirt..." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
GeeloApr-04-04 03:12 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2004
88 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#292, "Questions about megasquirt..."

I looked at the page and all, it answered alot of my questions, but not all of them.

1. How well does it work with our ECU
2. Does it make any check engine lights come on?

98 GS Eclipse

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
MrSlickApr-04-04 03:28 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#293, "RE: Questions about megasquirt..."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Geelo
I looked at the page and all, it answered alot of my questions, but not all of them. 1. How well does it work with our ECU 2. Does it make any check engine lights come on?

Well I'm running it so I can answer any questions you have about it.

Works perfect with the stock ECU. I actually have the stock ECU controlling the IAC motor... stock ECU controls the idle airflow. And with the MEgasquirt is idles BETTER than with the stock ECU controlling the injectors. I get a rock solid 800 rpm idle once warmed up.

I have CEL. But I had it before because of my evap and egr being out of the picture. I havent pulled the codes since I had the Megasquirt running. I will this week and see what we got. Probably codes for injectors. That's all I would expect. Because I have nothering hooked up to the stock ECU as far as injectors go. But if need be a resistor pack will fool the ECU.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

http://www.ms-custom.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

GeeloApr-04-04 03:35 PM
88 posts,
#294, "RE: Questions about megasquirt..."
In response to Reply # 0

with the CEL how do you get through emissions. I got a 98 and took it in a few days ago and all they do is plug into the ODB2 port and check for codes. If I got codes i will fail. I have a leak in my EVAP but ECU only runs that test below 3/4 tank and above 1/4 tank so i filled up the tank, earse the codes and passed hehe.

98 GS Eclipse

MrSlickApr-04-04 03:38 PM
1120 posts,
#295, "RE: Questions about megasquirt..."
In response to Reply # 2

with the CEL how do you get through emissions. I got a 98 and took it in a few days ago and all they do is plug into the ODB2 port and check for codes. If I got codes i will fail. I have a leak in my EVAP but ECU only runs that test below 3/4 tank and above 1/4 tank so i filled up the tank, earse the codes and passed hehe.

Well I dunno where you live. But were I live in Central PA, they only do a visual inspection for the emissions. And besides, my best friend does inspections...

But after I clear the codes they stay cleared for like 2 days before I get codes again for EGR and EVAP. But I have a work around for the EGR.

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

GeeloApr-04-04 03:45 PM
88 posts,
#296, "RE: Questions about megasquirt..."
In response to Reply # 0

I live in Maryland and we got real strick emissions which is a joke anyway. I'm not too worried about the EVAP and EGR lights goes those tests don't run all the time. I was just wondering if it does anything to the MAP sensor or anything like that. Do you still have the stock MAP hooked up??

The injector codes I can run the resistors for.

98 GS Eclipse

MrSlickApr-04-04 03:49 PM
1120 posts,
#297, "RE: Questions about megasquirt..."
In response to Reply # 4

I live in Maryland and we got real strick emissions which is a joke anyway. I'm not too worried about the EVAP and EGR lights goes those tests don't run all the time. I was just wondering if it does anything to the MAP sensor or anything like that. Do you still have the stock MAP hooked up?? The injector codes I can run the resistors for.

Yupp I have the regular MAP sensor still in place. You have to if you want the stock ECU to run the ignition system...

Wouldn't get any codes for that that, because I have a DIY fuel cut defender type setup. A simple 100 Ohm resistor and 4.7 V zener diode takes care of that.

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

GeeloApr-04-04 03:53 PM
88 posts,
#298, "RE: Questions about megasquirt..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by MrSlick
Originally posted by Geelo I live in Maryland and we got real strick emissions which is a joke anyway. I'm not too worried about the EVAP and EGR lights goes those tests don't run all the time. I was just wondering if it does anything to the MAP sensor or anything like that. Do you still have the stock MAP hooked up?? The injector codes I can run the resistors for.
Yupp I have the regular MAP sensor still in place. You have to if you want the stock ECU to run the ignition system... Wouldn't get any codes for that that, because I have a DIY fuel cut defender type setup. A simple 100 Ohm resistor and 4.7 V zener diode takes care of that.

Whats the resistor and Diode for..the map?

98 GS Eclipse

MrSlickApr-04-04 03:57 PM
1120 posts,
#299, "RE: Questions about megasquirt..."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by MrSlick
Originally posted by Geelo I live in Maryland and we got real strick emissions which is a joke anyway. I'm not too worried about the EVAP and EGR lights goes those tests don't run all the time. I was just wondering if it does anything to the MAP sensor or anything like that. Do you still have the stock MAP hooked up?? The injector codes I can run the resistors for.
Yupp I have the regular MAP sensor still in place. You have to if you want the stock ECU to run the ignition system... Wouldn't get any codes for that that, because I have a DIY fuel cut defender type setup. A simple 100 Ohm resistor and 4.7 V zener diode takes care of that.
Whats the resistor and Diode for..the map?

Yupp. Stocks the ECU from seeing over around 4.6V. Then you don't have any problems with fuel cut.

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

GeeloApr-04-04 04:08 PM
88 posts,
#300, "RE: Questions about megasquirt..."
In response to Reply # 0

resistor go before or after the diode, or does it matter?

98 GS Eclipse

MrSlickApr-04-04 04:17 PM
1120 posts,
#301, "RE: Questions about megasquirt..."
In response to Reply # 8

resistor go before or after the diode, or does it matter?

Resistor goes before the diode, then the diode goes from the MAP signal to ground... basically it dumps anything over 4.7V to ground.

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-04-04 04:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#302, "RE: Questions about megasquirt..."
In response to Reply # 9

You'll get 5 codes off the bat running a MS. injectors 1-4, and injector circuit.

Inspection is stupid. I'd pay for a sticker somewhere before i'd let it stop me from modding my car.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #292 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic