Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1538
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Electromotive TEC 3" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDeanoDNov-25-03 04:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1538, "Electromotive TEC 3"

I'm ordering an electromotive TEC 3 next week. I would like to start a discussion about using this engine management on our cars. If someone has this or an older version TEC 2, chime in. I would like to discuss installation and tuning issues.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
TeamMichael_97RSNov-25-03 06:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1539, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice choice. I've looked at them and Electromotive is the only way I'd go for stand alone. Good software, I played around with the TEC-2, downladed software for free. Looked pretty user friendly and the start up help in getting base tning would be outstanding for a stand alone and getting into it.

Also make sure to take good care in indexing the trigger wheel.

I look forward to your review and input on it.

http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

redeclipsetNov-25-03 06:20 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2003
398 posts,
#1540, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 1

im looking for a standalone. I was leaning for the aem ems. I've never heard of electromotive and was wondering if they had basemaps for our car and how much it is. The aem has some awesome software. There are even mods that can create a dyno.

TeamMichael_97RSNov-25-03 06:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1541, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 2

check it out at http://electromotive-inc.com

una salus victus

redeclipsetNov-25-03 07:51 AM
398 posts,
#1542, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 3

i'm just wondering how much is it. I've been playin with aem's software and it looks easy and fun to use. I'm currently at work right now and cannot download anything but i'm gonna take a look at this software. Are you sure that it's available for our car?

TeamMichael_97RSNov-25-03 09:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1543, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 4

It'a a universal standalone. Your wire it all up. There is no plug and play.

una salus victus

redeclipsetNov-25-03 10:24 AM
398 posts,
#1544, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 5

the problem is that it doesn't come with basemaps. You would be better off getting aem's race application. AEM doesn't have basemaps for our cars either but it seems like a better product overall. The tec-2 is $2200 i believe.

TeamMichael_97RSNov-25-03 10:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1545, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 6
Nov-25-03 11:03 AM by Michael_97RS

You price is a high estimate, retail is under 2k and actual sale cost is probably in the mid 1k range. There's a walk through on initial set up with the Tec-2 and 3 software, to help you set her up, with options to help account for things like individual throttle bodies, etc.

*edit* apparently (with a quick serch only) noby is really cutting prices on the TEC-3 yet like they used with TEC2. $1800 retail for ECU. The 2200 to 2500 should include the coil set up thay we don't need.

The only reason I would concider the AEM EMS, is the engineer who programmed the software didn't start at AEM.

una salus victus

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-25-03 11:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1546, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 7

The AEM EMS isn't even an AEM product. They just purchased some other company that produced a standalone system and began marketing it under the AEM name. ProTuning or something?

Regardless, you're in the same boat with either system. the only thing the AEM unit has in its favor is that it is plug and play for **some** cars, but not ours, leaving the decision purely to aethetics. Frankly, Electromotive has been doing this a lot longer than AEM has, and i would be more apt to trust them.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Joshua97478Nov-26-03 06:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2662 posts,
#1547, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 8
Nov-26-03 06:33 AM by Joshua97478

Originally posted by DarkOne
The AEM EMS isn't even an AEM product. They just purchased some other company that produced a standalone system and began marketing it under the AEM name. ProTuning or something? Regardless, you're in the same boat with either system. the only thing the AEM unit has in its favor is that it is plug and play for **some** cars, but not ours, leaving the decision purely to aethetics. Frankly, Electromotive has been doing this a lot longer than AEM has, and i would be more apt to trust them.

I totally agree... if i EVER get to go with a standalone, I'd go TEC3. The only advantage i could see with the AEM EMS is it supports a 5BAR map sensor, allowing for higher CPU control of boost(i think). Supposedly though, electromotive should be supporting that soon....

"Michael_97RS: Why bother, you'd have an easier time getting Mother Theresa to give you head than getting MrLocalPimp to behave."

TeamDeanoDNov-26-03 06:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1548, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 8

I will be getting the complete Tec 3 setup(including ignition). It uses GM sensors for everything. The Tec 3 has a start-up wizard as it were. The wiring should take 5-6 hours and the car should be running initially in 5 minutes or less. Since my engine/trans will be out of the car and my built motor/head will be finished in a couple weeks, this was my final step. My goal was total control over fuel and ignition. After considering the cost of a complete fuel system and a piggyback ignition system, it wasn't that much more to step up to the Tec.

Used Tec 2 setups(fuel/igition) can be bought for $1200 with the windows version and correct sensors. If you have an older version that is not windows based, just send it back to electromotive to be upgraded.

I am still new to the Tec, but have many friends who are using both the Tec 2 and 3 on their daily drivers. After I read the manual and gain a better understanding of its features, I will pass information along. This is probably the most costly and advanced management system on the market today.

I am not a fan of the AEM and won't be discussing this here.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1538 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic