Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #59460
View in threaded mode

Subject: "AEM cam gear question" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
lickscissorsSep-17-03 11:46 AM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59460, "AEM cam gear question"

i was just searching about adjusting these and i came across a couple other questions....right now i have it at +2 intake -2 exhaust...i havent had any problems with that, but ive heard that the marks arent right, and ive also heard that each degree on the cam equals 2 degrees...so when you say +4 on intake...would that be only 2 little marks....i dont think that sounds right, but clear me up with all this....and if you could also post what settings youre running and what youve tried..thanks!

screw flanders

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
lickscissorsSep-17-03 02:46 PM
1206 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59475, "RE: AEM cam gear question"
In response to Reply # 0

somebody?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorVX100Sep-18-03 03:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#59541, "RE: AEM cam gear question"
In response to Reply # 0

>ive
>heard that the marks arent right,

The marks on the AEM cam gears are not in the right position for our cars. They are correct for neons. You have to compare them to the stock cam gears and carefully (and accurately) re-mark the AEM gears.

Of course, you can adjust the cam gears to compensate, but that's if you know how many degrees off the marks are and in what direction they are off. I don't have that answer, and I doubt you'll find it, since most people re-mark the AEM cam gears when tey're off teh car, then install them.

>and ive also heard that each
>degree on the cam equals 2 degrees...so when you say +4 on
>intake...would that be only 2 little marks....

Yes, one degree at the camshaft (on the gear) is two (2) degrees at the crankshaft. So if you move the cam gear one mark, that' 2 degrees at the crank.

>i dont think
>that sounds right, but clear me up with all this....

It is correct, because the crankshaft turns twice as quickly as the cam gears. The cam gears have to be at this exact ratio as they compare to the crankshaft, or the valve train wouldn't work properly.

>and if you
>could also post what settings youre running and what youve
>tried..thanks!

+8 degrees advance on the intake cam, 0 degrees on the exhaust cam (assuming your cam gears are marked properly and timed properly in the first place)

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

ughhheadSep-18-03 04:20 AM
Member since Jul 05th 2003
775 posts,
#59544, "RE: AEM cam gear question"
In response to Reply # 2

what do you need to do to remark them correctly?

lickscissorsSep-18-03 05:02 AM
1206 posts,
#59547, "RE: AEM cam gear question"
In response to Reply # 3

now you said 8 degrees advance intake....does that only mean 4 marks on the cam gears?....thats what im confused at.....i have mine at +2,-2....(2 little marks) does that mean im actually at +4,-4....im lost now....and how could they sell these cams for our cars and them not even be correct.... this is kind of bullshit to me....my car runs correctly and i never remarked them....

lickscissorsSep-18-03 01:27 PM
1206 posts,
#59604, "RE: AEM cam gear question"
In response to Reply # 0

bump....

screw flanders

ModeratorVX100Sep-19-03 09:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#59698, "RE: AEM cam gear question"
In response to Reply # 4

In order to remark the AEM gears correctly, you just have to put the stock cam gear next to the AEM cam gear, (or right on top of it) then use a scribe or some other similar sharp pointy metal object to just cut a mark into the AEM gear.

Obviously, make sure you are very careful and do it correctly the first time! You can't erase that kind of mark. You could use a pen or a marker, but it will eventually wear off, which is not good and why I just scribed a new timing mark on mine.

>now you said 8 degrees advance intake....does that only mean
>4 marks on the cam gears?

Yes.

....thats what im confused at.....i
>have mine at +2,-2....(2 little marks) does that mean im
>actually at +4,-4....

yes

im lost now....and how could they sell
>these cams for our cars and them not even be correct

because they ae meant for a Neon. they saw the neon and the eclipse had the same engine, and the cam gears are the exact same size and part (well, except for the location of the timing mark) and just said they will work for our cars too. They do work, it's just the marks are not in the right place, they are off by about a tooth or half a tooth on each gear.

.... this
>is kind of bullshit to me....my car runs correctly and i never
>remarked them....

That's always possible. It won't be EXACTLY in time the way it is supposed to, but the car will still work. When I put mine on the first time, I didn't mark them and the car ran fine. It idled poorly, but once it got above 1500 rpms you couldn't tell the differenc e(except I wasn't making any mroe power).

But once I marked the cam gears correctly, re-installed them and had the timing perfect (car idled normally), I was able to accurately tune them on a dyno and get more power out of them.

If you had the correct timing marks, and everything was timed perfectly, I'd reccomend going about +6 or +8 degrees advance on the intake cam to start with, then go from there if you can get on a dyno. Since your marks are off a bit, the best thing is to take it to a dyno and do all of your tuning there (if you are unwilling to take everything apart, mark the gears in the correct spot, then put it all back together again)

There might be some issues with making optimal power the way your car is now, with the exhaust cam being off (since the cam angle sensor magnet is attached to the exhaust cam), but if you adjust the exhaust cam gear the correct amount to compensate, (don't ask me what it is, I have no idea, you'd have to compare where the AEM mark is tot eh stock cam gear, figure out which direction it is off, measure or estimate how many degrees it is off,t hen adjust the AEM gears that much to compensate) then you should be fine.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

DirtySep-19-03 11:28 AM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#59715, "RE: AEM cam gear question"
In response to Reply # 5

So if you put them on without remarking them, are both gears gonna be off, or just one of them?

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

amljbsSep-19-03 11:36 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#59718, "RE: AEM cam gear question"
In response to Reply # 7

I thought that AEM had already corrected this problem and only the older gears were affected.

1998 Eclipse GST

DirtySep-19-03 11:51 AM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#59724, "RE: AEM cam gear question"
In response to Reply # 8

I talked to an AEM tech support guy like 30min. ago. He didn't know what I was talking about, so I don't think anyone ever told them about the problem. On their site, it has the same part# for the eclipse and the neon. He said he was gonna have some people find out something for us. I gave him this website and told him all the proof he needed was here. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I don't think that much can be done now thoguh. Plus, I already ordered mine. Looks like more fun altering shit again.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

SquidSep-19-03 12:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#59728, "RE: AEM cam gear question"
In response to Reply # 9

Speaking of AEM cam gears... There are two different types of bolts that they come with (Button Head Socket Cap Screws, or Hex Flange Cap Screw) which is supposed to be the better setup and why? I can’t see why one would be better than the other.

-J

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #59460 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic