Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #51783
View in threaded mode

Subject: "homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
Sorry_i_WinMay-24-03 11:54 AM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51783, "homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
May-24-03 12:00 PM by Sorry_i_Win

I was just thinkin, why not use cans of compressed air to add boost like a shot of nitruos? Think about it, it would be more air (and much colder (hold a can upside down and spray it... it'll freeze whatever it hits). I'm thinkin about experimenting and hookin it up to my intake somehow... what do you guys think? could this cause anything bad gonna happen?

EDIT: well i tried it and if i spray the air, it boggs the engine and it nearly stalls... ok, i guess it's gettin too much air and not enough fuel... oh well. so much for that idea.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
95_ESi_PersonMay-24-03 01:54 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51788, "RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
In response to Reply # 0

good choice on not doing it.. i was thinking the same thing before, but using oxygen, then somebody mentioned that it would get REALLY hot and prolly melt things.

would compressed air injected into the system almost be like boost? nevermind, it would equal out throughout the whole system, and go out the intake

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

rydereclipseMay-24-03 02:42 PM
Member since Feb 15th 2002
258 posts,
#51791, "RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
In response to Reply # 1

just get a fpr that increases fuel press. when you intro more air, its how a NOS dry system works!!!

juggaloMay-24-03 02:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#51792, "RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
In response to Reply # 2
May-24-03 02:55 PM by juggalo

you can get one of those 5 or 7 gallon tanks at walmart for under $20. fill it up with your air compressor. if you got the egr blocked off you could put thread in a hose fitting then run the hose from the the fitting to the tank. not sure how you'd reach it to open it up when your racing though.

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

510eclipseMay-25-03 10:44 AM
Member since May 12th 2002
424 posts,
#51817, "RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
In response to Reply # 3

>you can get one of those 5 or 7 gallon tanks at walmart for
>under $20. fill it up with your air compressor. if you got the
>egr blocked off you could put thread in a hose fitting then
>run the hose from the the fitting to the tank. not sure how
>you'd reach it to open it up when your racing though.

please dont laugh but seriously here, could this work for any benefit at all if done properly? i have a compressor, im about to go do this today if walmart really sells those air tanks. i could easily run a line from the bottle in the backseat to the intake manifold through the firewall. and during a race, reach back during third and bust it open a bit haha. i just dont see how compressed air pushed in their would do much, wouldnt it pretty much just equal back out to normal pressure in the intake mani and have no positive effect?

rydereclipseMay-25-03 02:05 PM
Member since Feb 15th 2002
258 posts,
#51827, "RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
In response to Reply # 4

Like I said you have to increase fuel when u increase the air or there will be NO GAINS at all

510eclipseMay-25-03 02:14 PM
424 posts,
#51828, "RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
In response to Reply # 5

>Like I said you have to increase fuel when u increase the air
>or there will be NO GAINS at all

well uhm not in this thread buddy. you simply said "get a fpr..." etc. bur yeah right on thanks.

tim97rsMay-25-03 02:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#51829, "RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
In response to Reply # 6

RULE #1: More air, More fuel!!!!!!

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

Sorry_i_WinMay-25-03 03:19 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#51830, "RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah... just spraying more air, makes the engine run too lean (not good). I found that out... it made the engine just about stall.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

amljbsMay-25-03 03:22 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#51831, "RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
In response to Reply # 7

Well not on the boost end but Ive come up with a way to use paintabll CO2 tanks to drop air temps significantly and I think that if the same principal was applied to a turbos intercooler they could get significant gains as well.

1998 Eclipse GST

510eclipseMay-26-03 08:47 PM
424 posts,
#51916, "RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air"
In response to Reply # 9

alright well back onto the boost side of things. if someone was to: run a line from a compressor tank in the car to a regulated valve with open closed switch, and then from the valve run the line through the firewall and tap it into the intake manifold. and then use a boost sensitive fpr aka vortech sfmu for tuning fuel for boost. at full throttle, open the valve and have a constant psi released into the throttle body (until the tank runs out of course, until refilled by the compressor) simulating boost. could this work, but i imagine not just simply because the line running to the intake mani would most likely be a small line, nothing like charge pipes in a turbo system. but if this could work at all, how much psi as far as on the gauge of the compressor tank would you possibly need to be pushing through that small line to make 1 2 3 4 etc psi of boost at the intake mani?

thanks for anybody's more knowledgeable input. if nobody has a clue on any of this i am going to hook up a boost gauge with this setup and keep upping the psi from the compressor tank until i can see any boost on the boost gauge. tia

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #51783 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic