Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjecthomemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=51783
51783, homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by Sorry_i_Win, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I was just thinkin, why not use cans of compressed air to add boost like a shot of nitruos? Think about it, it would be more air (and much colder (hold a can upside down and spray it... it'll freeze whatever it hits). I'm thinkin about experimenting and hookin it up to my intake somehow... what do you guys think? could this cause anything bad gonna happen?

EDIT: well i tried it and if i spray the air, it boggs the engine and it nearly stalls... ok, i guess it's gettin too much air and not enough fuel... oh well. so much for that idea.
51788, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
good choice on not doing it.. i was thinking the same thing before, but using oxygen, then somebody mentioned that it would get REALLY hot and prolly melt things.

would compressed air injected into the system almost be like boost? nevermind, it would equal out throughout the whole system, and go out the intake
51791, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by rydereclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
just get a fpr that increases fuel press. when you intro more air, its how a NOS dry system works!!!
51792, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by juggalo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you can get one of those 5 or 7 gallon tanks at walmart for under $20. fill it up with your air compressor. if you got the egr blocked off you could put thread in a hose fitting then run the hose from the the fitting to the tank. not sure how you'd reach it to open it up when your racing though.
51817, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by 510eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>you can get one of those 5 or 7 gallon tanks at walmart for
>under $20. fill it up with your air compressor. if you got the
>egr blocked off you could put thread in a hose fitting then
>run the hose from the the fitting to the tank. not sure how
>you'd reach it to open it up when your racing though.

please dont laugh but seriously here, could this work for any benefit at all if done properly? i have a compressor, im about to go do this today if walmart really sells those air tanks. i could easily run a line from the bottle in the backseat to the intake manifold through the firewall. and during a race, reach back during third and bust it open a bit haha. i just dont see how compressed air pushed in their would do much, wouldnt it pretty much just equal back out to normal pressure in the intake mani and have no positive effect?
51827, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by rydereclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Like I said you have to increase fuel when u increase the air or there will be NO GAINS at all
51828, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
>Like I said you have to increase fuel when u increase the air
>or there will be NO GAINS at all

well uhm not in this thread buddy. you simply said "get a fpr..." etc. bur yeah right on thanks.
51829, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by tim97rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
RULE #1: More air, More fuel!!!!!!
51830, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Yeah... just spraying more air, makes the engine run too lean (not good). I found that out... it made the engine just about stall.
51831, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by amljbs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well not on the boost end but Ive come up with a way to use paintabll CO2 tanks to drop air temps significantly and I think that if the same principal was applied to a turbos intercooler they could get significant gains as well.
51916, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
alright well back onto the boost side of things. if someone was to: run a line from a compressor tank in the car to a regulated valve with open closed switch, and then from the valve run the line through the firewall and tap it into the intake manifold. and then use a boost sensitive fpr aka vortech sfmu for tuning fuel for boost. at full throttle, open the valve and have a constant psi released into the throttle body (until the tank runs out of course, until refilled by the compressor) simulating boost. could this work, but i imagine not just simply because the line running to the intake mani would most likely be a small line, nothing like charge pipes in a turbo system. but if this could work at all, how much psi as far as on the gauge of the compressor tank would you possibly need to be pushing through that small line to make 1 2 3 4 etc psi of boost at the intake mani?

thanks for anybody's more knowledgeable input. if nobody has a clue on any of this i am going to hook up a boost gauge with this setup and keep upping the psi from the compressor tank until i can see any boost on the boost gauge. tia
51923, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Uhm.....first of all you get BOOST from a turbo because it is a closed system. If you try to raise the system pressure it's just gonna equalize and blow back out of your intake unless you close the system off.

Secondly, you ever used one of those shop blower attachments on an air compressor? Sure, they put out some good psi, but that's in a hose with an interior diameter of 1/4". You're talking about an intake that has 8 times that diameter (Our throttle body is is 2 inches)

The surface area of a circle is what, 3.14 X R2 (that's supposed to be squared)

So your surface area on that air compressor hose is .049 square inches (Radius=.125" if the hose has a .25 interior diameter). But on your intake it's 3.14 (since the radius is 1). Now if you divide the two 3.14/.049=64.08.....so you are going to have to produce 64 times the pressure to maintain a similar pressure from the hose to the intake.

Or a better way of looking at it is your intake will see 1/64th of the pressure of that hose. So if your hose has a 10psi constant pressure then your intake is going to see 0.15625psi.

Do you really want to go through all that trouble for 0.15625 worth of "boost" which will probably just equalize the system anyhow?

And the guy who sprayed it into his intake. Uhm....your fuel air is calculated by your computer through the throttle position sensor, map sensor, and o2 sensor. If your car wasn't getting any throttle of course it will bog :) Besides, compressed air is basically CO2....guys, fire extenguishers are made out of CO2 :thumbsup
51927, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
not to mention, if you go adding more air than staic you will get fuel cut without the HRC voltage clamp or a missing link. just thought i'd throw it out there.
51989, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by Twiste, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>Besides,
>compressed air is basically CO2....guys, fire extenguishers
>are made out of CO2 :thumbsup

Compressed air is basically N2 not CO2. Co2 is carbon dioxide...N2 is nitrogen. our air is like 75% nitrogen. and to the guy who said somethign about paintball...dude, are you into paintball cause i need to sell all of my equipment. email me Twiste2@yahoo.com.
51937, RE: homemade NOS/cryo-like boost using compressed air
Posted by GhEttOrAiD, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>>Well not on the boost end but Ive come up with a way to use >>paintabll CO2 tanks to drop air temps significantly and I think >>that if the same principal was applied to a turbos intercooler they >>could get significant gains as well.

*ahem*

YOU have come up with a way???

lol

cmon mang don't take credit for other ppl's ideas

been done at drag strips since the dawn of man
51952, Freeze the intake pipe?
hmm.. glad to see this has got some people thinking... What I really wanted to do was basically freeze the intake pipe so the air coming in would be super cool, but doing this at idle stalls the engine... I was afraid to try it with the trottle down. Could this work? Use liquid oygen/nitrogen or tetrafluoroethane (liquid in compressed air cans) to chill the intake... I'm sure this would work on intercoolers, but I'm not turbo yet.
51964, RE: Freeze the intake pipe?
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>hmm.. glad to see this has got some people thinking... What I
>really wanted to do was basically freeze the intake pipe so
>the air coming in would be super cool, but doing this at idle
>stalls the engine... I was afraid to try it with the trottle
>down. Could this work? Use liquid oygen/nitrogen or
>tetrafluoroethane (liquid in compressed air cans) to chill the
>intake... I'm sure this would work on intercoolers, but I'm
>not turbo yet.

This has been discussed before. The reason it works on intercoolers is they are pushing a lot of air over a HUGE surface area (think of all those little fins) so their heat transfer rate is incredibly high. Your intake, however, is not going to give you that great of a heat transfer rate. So if you put an intercooler in line with your naturally aspirated intake system you could effectively do that, but, then you'd be trying to suck air through an intercooler which would be a HUGE restriction on your incoming air in the first place.

Dude, save your money for a turbo :)
51965, RE: Freeze the intake pipe?
Posted by Collente, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>>>>hmm.. glad to see this has got some people thinking... What I really wanted to do was basically freeze the intake pipe so the air coming in would be super cool, but doing this at idle stalls the engine... I was afraid to try it with the trottle down. Could this work? Use liquid oygen/nitrogen or tetrafluoroethane (liquid in compressed air cans) to chill the intake... I'm sure this would work on intercoolers, but I'm not turbo yet. >>>>

People run water injection all the time. The purpose is to cool the intake temp. If you are boosting it has the basic principal of a intercooler.

You say that your not turbo yet, why not just save your money and energy in learning all the aspecs of turboing a NT car??
just a thought...

Nick
97RS
51967, RE: Freeze the intake pipe?
Posted by The1Bill, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
There is not much of a temperature differental between ambient and intake on a NA motor, but on a boosted motor, there is. That's why water and propane injection are so popular with forced induction cars.
-=B-=
52037, RE: Freeze the intake pipe?
ok.. cool. thanx for all the responses.. I was just curious how this stuff worked. If all goes as planned, I'll be stage II this fall.
52055, RE: Freeze the intake pipe?
Posted by amljbs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>YOU have come up with a way???

>lol

>cmon mang don't take credit for other ppl's ideas

>been done at drag strips since the dawn of man

All Im claiming to have thought up is using paintball CO2 tanks instead of expensive coooling systems that are available. All I was saying is why pay $500 for that cryo shit when a $30 walmart paintball tank will work. Wasnt trying to say I came up with the idea to cool hte air.
52062, RE: Freeze the intake pipe?
Posted by Amish_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you're essentially doing the same thing as nitrous just not on the same scale. NO2 boils below freezing. when it hits the hot air in the intake it will cool it almost instantaneously. compressed air doesn't have the same affect unless you can get it in liquid form and spray it in so that it boils into a gas inside the intake.
52073, RE: Freeze the intake pipe?
Posted by Ryan_Hes, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know it's been said, but fuel is certainly one of the most important aspects of 'boost'. Even if adding the air yielded hp gains, you must have more fuel. Just remember, your car will be running the strongest just before the engine blows...lean is a big nono. This system seems very 'uncontrolled' and shotty. You're trying to do 'ghetto-NOS'...
I generated this page in 0.010002851486206 seconds, executing 7 queries.