Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132916
View in threaded mode

Subject: "crank sensor problem" Previous topic | Next topic
bnissonJan-09-11 12:51 PM
Member since Mar 31st 2010
82 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132916, "crank sensor problem"

i get these readings with the ignition ON:

At harness that plugs into sensor:

power- 8.9 v
ground- does show continuity
signal- 4.96 v

at the ECU:

Pin 32 (crank signal input) - 4.96 v
Pin 44 (Power output to crank) - 8.9 v

Perfect.

the problem is when i plug in the sensor to the harness, the signal output changes from 4.96 v to .08 v at the harness as well as the ECU

I have tried two sensors: the one in the car before i lost spark and a new one i purchased a few days ago.

What to do?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
halfasss101Jan-12-11 05:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132949, "RE: crank sensor problem"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know if this is a continuation but what happened? Just didn't want to start one day or what?

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-12-11 10:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#132953, "RE: crank sensor problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by bnisson
the problem is when i plug in the sensor to the harness, the signal output changes from 4.96 v to .08 v at the harness as well as the ECU I have tried two sensors: the one in the car before i lost spark and a new one i purchased a few days ago. What to do?

The signal will go high or low depending on where the crank is in relation to the magnet in the sensor.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

halfasss101Jan-13-11 06:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#132955, "RE: crank sensor problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Exactly. Try cranking the motor and see if it changes when the crank is in different positions. Test coil pack and cam sensor resistance with specs in the haynes manual.

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

megaskillzJan-14-11 02:05 PM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#132958, "RE: crank sensor problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by halfasss101
Exactly. Try cranking the motor and see if it changes when the crank is in different positions. Test coil pack and cam sensor resistance with specs in the haynes manual.

I would also like to add before you crank your engine disconnect the ignition wires from the coil. While cranking, your voltmeter should fluctuate from 0.4 to 4 volts. This is with the connector attached to the sensor and backprobing the signal and ground on the connector.

98 GS manual - ATMT completed
91 Hyundai Excel- 4g63t swap pending
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2553845/1998-mitsubishi-eclipse

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132916 Previous topic | Next topic