Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectcrank sensor problem
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=132916
132916, crank sensor problem
Posted by bnisson, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i get these readings with the ignition ON:

At harness that plugs into sensor:

power- 8.9 v
ground- does show continuity
signal- 4.96 v

at the ECU:

Pin 32 (crank signal input) - 4.96 v
Pin 44 (Power output to crank) - 8.9 v

Perfect.

the problem is when i plug in the sensor to the harness, the signal output changes from 4.96 v to .08 v at the harness as well as the ECU

I have tried two sensors: the one in the car before i lost spark and a new one i purchased a few days ago.

What to do?
132949, RE: crank sensor problem
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't know if this is a continuation but what happened? Just didn't want to start one day or what?
132953, RE: crank sensor problem
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bnisson
the problem is when i plug in the sensor to the harness, the signal output changes from 4.96 v to .08 v at the harness as well as the ECU I have tried two sensors: the one in the car before i lost spark and a new one i purchased a few days ago. What to do?

The signal will go high or low depending on where the crank is in relation to the magnet in the sensor.
132955, RE: crank sensor problem
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Exactly. Try cranking the motor and see if it changes when the crank is in different positions. Test coil pack and cam sensor resistance with specs in the haynes manual.
132958, RE: crank sensor problem
Posted by megaskillz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by halfasss101
Exactly. Try cranking the motor and see if it changes when the crank is in different positions. Test coil pack and cam sensor resistance with specs in the haynes manual.

I would also like to add before you crank your engine disconnect the ignition wires from the coil. While cranking, your voltmeter should fluctuate from 0.4 to 4 volts. This is with the connector attached to the sensor and backprobing the signal and ground on the connector.
I generated this page in 0.0087709426879883 seconds, executing 7 queries.