Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127647
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
95baserSep-08-09 10:52 AM
Member since Jun 29th 2009
64 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127647, "Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"

Well, I have another question. There are only two things that I can NOT diagnose. Sensors,(at least not with out an OBD-II) and the AC.
To let you know what its doing, I push the button inside the car, and the fan comes on, Power to the clutch, but the clutch doesnt even try to come on. The button inside blinks either orange or green depending on which one its on. Now for my question, what kind of a switch is on the compressor that I can replace? or what is it that I need to do to properly fix this situation. I know it could be the clutch, but its getting power, So I am at a loss.
I do have a place to evacuate the system and what not.
Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to accurately describe what is happening.

Thank you in advance

3ska

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
eclipse982nrRSTSep-08-09 05:31 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127649, "RE: Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you positive the AC system has a charge?

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Sep-08-09 05:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#127650, "RE: Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"
In response to Reply # 0

I've never messed with the AC on a 2GNT, but I just installed AC in my GVR4 a week or so ago. If your clutch isn't engaging, it could mean one of a couple things:

1. One of your temperature or pressure switches is disconnected/faulty. I know there are TWO on the 1G DSM - 1 pressure & 1 temperature.

2. Your system has a leak and has lost refrigerant pressure. If the pressure in the system drops below some amount, the ECU will not engage the clutch to prevent compressor damage.

3. The compressor clutch itself is shot.

What to do?

1. Follow all the AC lines, looking for any kind of doo-dad with an electrical connector that screws into them. Make sure these connections are sound.

2. Was the AC blowing ice cold before it stopped working? If not, chances are you have a leak that finally got bad enough that there's no longer sufficient pressure to trip the switch, resulting in the compressor not being engaged.

3. Is the clutch itself shot? You will need to consult the factory service manual (as it's hit or miss when it comes to AC work in the Chiltons/Haynes manuals) to determine which leads carry the 12VDC to engage the magnetic clutch on the compressor. With that information, apply the voltage and listen for the click. TIP: With adequate pressure in the system and no belt on the compressor, the clutch will still engage if all is well. I confirmed my clutch worked with 225psi of Nitrogen in the lines (leak testing).

Good luck to you.

mysteryclipse21Sep-08-09 11:08 PM
Member since Feb 22nd 2006
82 posts,
#127655, "RE: Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"
In response to Reply # 2

Driggs wins again ^!

HRC Stage IV

95baserSep-09-09 10:56 AM
64 posts,
#127656, "RE: Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"
In response to Reply # 2

The AC hasnt worked since I have had the car. Its just a $700 DD. But DSMs are my one true love. There just like a woman, except they wont take half of what you own when the leave. lol. Back to subject, I really do appreciate the help yall have given me, I have recommended this site to any 2g that I see on the road. Hopefully I can get the AC working. I talked to the Mitsu Dealer yesterday, they said there is a sensor that reads the RPM to decide how strong to kick the clutch (I think thats what he said) but that you have to evacuate the system before replacing it. Is there any truth to that? Like I said, im not familiar with ACs.

TeamDR1665Sep-09-09 11:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#127657, "RE: Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"
In response to Reply # 4

There might be a switch like that somewhere. Like I said, I never had to work on the AC on my 97 2GNT. There's subtle differences between them, as the 95s (maybe 96s, too) had the 2-stage AC switch. 97-on had a 1-click AC button (green only).

If it's never worked, I'd suggest getting the factory service manual (search for it, it's around and free) and looking up which pins on the compressor connection are for the clutch.

If the clutch works, then it's likely the system has lost its charge. You can spend less than $20 getting all new o-rings for the lines from the dealer, get everything back together nice and neat, then see if you can't talk the local AC shop into taking a $20 to pull a vacuum on the system to check for leaks for you.

Then just have them charge the system and enjoy your AC this winter! (The compressor plays a role in the defroster actually de-fogging the windows, mind you.)

eclipse982nrRSTSep-09-09 12:13 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#127658, "RE: Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 95baser
The AC hasnt worked since I have had the car. Its just a $700 DD. But DSMs are my one true love. There just like a woman, except they wont take half of what you own when the leave. lol. Back to subject, I really do appreciate the help yall have given me, I have recommended this site to any 2g that I see on the road. Hopefully I can get the AC working. I talked to the Mitsu Dealer yesterday, they said there is a sensor that reads the RPM to decide how strong to kick the clutch (I think thats what he said) but that you have to evacuate the system before replacing it. Is there any truth to that? Like I said, im not familiar with ACs.

Before you go replacing sensors, you need to first find out if the system even has a charge or not.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

RoninEclipse2GSep-09-09 05:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#127659, "RE: Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
Originally posted by 95baser The AC hasnt worked since I have had the car. Its just a $700 DD. But DSMs are my one true love. There just like a woman, except they wont take half of what you own when the leave. lol. Back to subject, I really do appreciate the help yall have given me, I have recommended this site to any 2g that I see on the road. Hopefully I can get the AC working. I talked to the Mitsu Dealer yesterday, they said there is a sensor that reads the RPM to decide how strong to kick the clutch (I think thats what he said) but that you have to evacuate the system before replacing it. Is there any truth to that? Like I said, im not familiar with ACs.
Before you go replacing sensors, you need to first find out if the system even has a charge or not.

Exactly, easiest thing to do is buy one of those $15 recharge kits with a pressure guage and connect it up to the LOW side hose. there's a cap marked with an L. Start the car, set the HVAC controls for full blast cold and see what the pressure is. If it's low then adding some refrigerant may be what's needed to kick the system on. if it drains down again then you may need to have some hoses or seals replaced.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

95baserSep-10-09 07:43 AM
64 posts,
#127665, "RE: Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks guys,
Im going to try that tomorrow. Unfortunately, my youngest one is sick, so I am tending to her today. I really appreciate the help.

TeamDR1665Sep-10-09 11:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#127666, "RE: Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST

I wasn't suggesting replacing sensors until such time as they were deemed defective. Ensuring all the switches are connected cots nothing and would be the first step in troubleshooting this issue after confirming the belt was in place.

95baserSep-11-09 12:21 PM
64 posts,
#127695, "RE: Air Conditioning???? (Kind Of Long)"
In response to Reply # 9

Im not going to spend more money than I have too. Lol. Im going to check to see if it has a charge tonight once I get off of work, then, if it does, I will go from there, HOPEFULLY, the problem is that there is no R134a in the system, and it is just not charged from the vehicle not being used prior to me getting it. Thanks for the help.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127647 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic