Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127202
View in threaded mode

Subject: "$600 eclipse with engine problem" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
dadnkidAug-11-09 10:18 AM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
14 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127202, "$600 eclipse with engine problem"

Hello all. I’m back with my favorite car. I use to have an 98 GS back in 2002 for 6 months. Found out I was having a kid and had to trade it in. and I have been wanting one ever since. I went thru my share of cars since then (2 accords, prelude, RSX type S). Now I have a Nissan Titan and a Suzuki SV650S.

I was looking for a GST hardtop or a Spyer GS. But I came across a 97 RS with 131,xxx miles. Looks like it has many options that come on the GS (power everything, sun roof, spoiler). Just no side skirts, which is a must (to me). Paint is in really condition, its black so it just needs a good buff job, needs fog lights, no dents, body is straight. Interior needs a good cleaning, no rips, door handles need to be replaced but that is common on eclipses (already have some), passenger window needs new motor (maybe, have look at it yet). That’s all the small stuff. The major thing is the car doesn’t run. He says he was driving to work, and engine die on him. He talked to people and they told him the cylinder head was warped (by just looking at it) and the power steer is out. He had just replaced the timing belt and water pump. I don’t know how soon after the engine problem happen. I came across someone on craigs list that is parting out there eclipse and is willing to sell me there cylinder head for 75 buck. Said engine had no problem. I just don’t want to get that and its not the problem. But the good news is that I have an Eclipse again that needs some work but only for $600.00. I pick it up on Friday so I will have him walk me thru it step by step on what happen (if it came to a screeching stop with gear still engage. Or a rolling stop. Did you lose all power in car like dash lights). Pretty much anything so I can know what I need to do to her. I want to get her up and running then start buying parts and putting them on the shelf so I can ripe the engine out and rebuilt. I planned on rebuilding the motor anyway so I think it is a win win for me. I am going turbo, low psi. No more than 5-7. Looking to get about 200-220 horses out of her. I have a sport bike for crazy speed. I just need her to be able to pass up some one on the highway with no problem.. ill post pics when i learn how to on here

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-11-09 10:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127203, "RE: $600 eclipse with engine problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Check the timing belt and do a compression test first thing. if soeone had done the timing belt and they goofed it up, Id be willing to bet your problem lies there.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

dadnkidAug-11-09 01:44 PM
14 posts,
#127210, "RE: $600 eclipse with engine problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Im thinking the same thing. i know engine will be cold but at least it will give me a starting point. just sucks that i got to wait til friday night to see

dadnkidAug-17-09 11:27 PM
14 posts,
#127251, "RE: $600 eclipse with engine problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by dadnkid
Im thinking the same thing. i know engine will be cold but at least it will give me a starting point. just sucks that i got to wait til friday night to see

It got it home...tried to start it. posted it on youtube.com

ModeratorbullettdsmAug-18-09 01:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#127253, "RE: $600 eclipse with engine problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Check timing.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

420agreenvilleSCAug-18-09 05:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#127255, "RE: $600 eclipse with engine problem"
In response to Reply # 4

i agree. check timing. sorry to hear about your belt mark

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

dadnkidAug-19-09 10:13 AM
14 posts,
#127269, "RE: $600 eclipse with engine problem"
In response to Reply # 5

I checked the spark plugs and wires with multi meter...G2G (good to do)
Fuel is good. I crank the cams to check if it was line up and it is. i also notice that whil i was cranking it, it was hard in one area then it smooth out...good catch shott17. I did a compression test and no good.
#1=135
#2=52
#3=25
#4=59

After all this i checked the radaitor and it was slug to hell. looked liked carmel pudding. so i will be pull the cylinder head. anyone in avondale(phoenix) AZ want to come by help out. I need a engine crane if its better to just pull the whole thing out and maybe a engine stand. i have a truck if it helps.

Ebster1085Aug-19-09 11:00 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#127270, "RE: $600 eclipse with engine problem"
In response to Reply # 6

If the oil is all gooey and all cylinders are low, 3 out of 4 being veryy low, maybe you will get lucky and it will just be a totally blown head gasket..

What color is the coolant, and what does the oil look like?

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

RoninEclipse2GAug-19-09 04:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#127276, "RE: $600 eclipse with engine problem"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Ebster1085
What color is the coolant, and what does the oil look like?

After all this i checked the radaitor and it was slug to hell. looked liked carmel pudding.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

TuxdreamerxAug-19-09 06:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#127282, "RE: $600 eclipse with engine problem"
In response to Reply # 6

I checked the spark plugs and wires with multi meter...G2G (good to do) Fuel is good. I crank the cams to check if it was line up and it is. i also notice that whil i was cranking it, it was hard in one area then it smooth out...good catch shott17. I did a compression test and no good. #1=135 #2=52 #3=25 #4=59 After all this i checked the radaitor and it was slug to hell. looked liked carmel pudding. so i will be pull the cylinder head. anyone in avondale(phoenix) AZ want to come by help out. I need a engine crane if its better to just pull the whole thing out and maybe a engine stand. i have a truck if it helps.

Pull the head. Inspect the pistons and head gasket. Then if it looks bad pull the block. But its all up to you.

dadnkidAug-21-09 04:14 PM
14 posts,
#127324, "RE: $600 eclipse with engine problem"
In response to Reply # 9

I got a couple things off the engine so far. But ran into a problem. the car has aftermarket rims on it with special lugs....the guy didnt have the key for it. so i been looking around for something to fit on it. i think its gorilla and i called them. without the reg number, they cant help. Discount tire ( where the guy got them from back in 2002) dont have keys for them anymore. just the small one. so i think im gona try to slam a socket on it. if that doesnt work, thinking about backing off the stud head on the back side of the rotor. these are just thoughts tho. ill update when i actually get somewhere.

I hope it is just a blown headgasket and no other problems...that would be great. I want to get the car up and running. then ill just buy parts to do a complete rebuild at one time. make sure its strong enough to handle 4-6 psi

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127202 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic