Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #122188
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
eclipse982nrRSTFeb-25-06 05:14 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#122188, "Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"

Okay I started disconnection and labeling wires last night to start pulling the motor out to start the rebuild finally. My question is, is it easier to leave the tranny in and pull it aside or is it easier to take it out with the engine? Also, should I leave the head on block or just take it as one piece.

Any tips besides A LOT of beer are welcome because I have that covered already .

I am pretty much going by the Haynnes manual for this which SUCKS!

Thanks
Mike

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-26-04 02:19 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#122189, "RE: Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"
In response to Reply # 0

forget the haynes.

Disconnect all electrical
disconnect all water lines
disconnect exhaust
remove battery/tray and washer fluid tank.
Remove any intake pipes/intercooler pipes.
remove P/S pump and pull to side out of the way.
Remove A/c comressor let dangle under car.
Remove axles
remove Emissions vacuum lines (2 or 3)
remove bolts in mounts with engine supported.
pull engine with trans

My mentality.....easier to pull axles than clutch bolts ect. With engine out you can swap the tranny even easier.

Terry

96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver

97 Eclipse.........

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cougar694uOct-26-04 04:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3381 posts,
#122190, "RE: Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-26-04 04:43 AM by cougar694u

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
easier to pull axles than clutch bolts ect.

Clutch bolts?

With a manual tranny, the input shaft just slides out of the clutch, no bolts, no biggie. I pulled the motor only and left the tranny.

It'll be different on an atx due to the tq converter, probably easy to get it all, unless you can unbolt the tq conv. easily.

~Luke
Facebook
1969 Cougar - 11.91 - 380HP
2007 GSXR 750
1999 OZ - SOLD - 15.26 NA - 14.71 on 75 shot

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-26-04 04:45 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#122191, "RE: Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"
In response to Reply # 2

I was referring ot flywheel bolts. If he is swapping out motors he will need a clutch unless he has a new one in which case he will need the bolts and flex plate ect.

Terry

flamineclipseOct-26-04 02:20 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2003
675 posts,
#122192, "RE: Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"
In response to Reply # 0

I pulled mine out with the motor. But I used a leveler, it made it much easier.

Oh, you don't like altezza's? Too bad, your gonna get a good look at mine.

DegreEOct-26-04 04:44 AM
Member since Jul 04th 2004
303 posts,
#122193, "RE: Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"
In response to Reply # 4

I pulled my motor out with the tranny.

Just chain it up at the lift brackets and hook the cherry picker on the chain, closer to the timing belt side. So that when you lift the motor, the motor/trany will come out kinda sideways with the tranny hanging low.

Make sure you have a few friends to help you out and keep an eye on any hoses or wires that you forgot or your firewall.

<--This is our god... god decides our fate. We shall not upset our god. God can and will ruin our lives if we were to upset him.

OBX 4-1 Ceramic Coated Headder, EGR Block-off kit, Howell 30% Underdrive pulley, EBay Cold-Air Intake, Holley Air Mass CatBack Exhaust System: 2.5" pipe w/ 5" tip

cougar694uOct-26-04 05:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3381 posts,
#122194, "RE: Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by DegreE
Make sure you have a few friends to help you out and keep an eye on any hoses or wires that you forgot or your firewall.

Shit, all my friends/family saw I was getting ready to do it and said, '...I'm supposed to be somewhere...'

I pulled it out, rebuilt it, and put it back in with no help whatsoever. Aggrivating to the fullest imo. I broke my phone because it kept ringing as I was trying to drop it in and line everything up. I threw it across the garage...

~Luke
Facebook
2007 GSXR 750

KirbyOct-26-04 06:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#122195, "RE: Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"
In response to Reply # 6

So you pulled a motor, rebuilt it, and droped it back in in one day? Damn man that must be a new record or something..

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

ChamukoOct-26-04 08:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#122196, "RE: Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"
In response to Reply # 7

yes It is easier to pull the engine and tranny completely assembled.

Just like mentioned above, you have to tilt it so that the passenger side is higher then the drivers side. If you dont the tranny will hit the engine bay.

Its not that hard to do it by yourself, But it is so much easier and safer if you have some one jacking up the cherry picker while another person guides the engine and tranny out.

Boy was it "fun" to do by myself though.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

cougar694uOct-26-04 10:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3381 posts,
#122197, "RE: Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Kirby
So you pulled a motor, rebuilt it, and droped it back in in one day? Damn man that must be a new record or something..

Hell no, it took 3, my house was a ghost town until I was done with the car.

~Luke
Facebook
2007 GSXR 750

TKIOct-26-04 10:24 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
528 posts,
#122198, "RE: Pulling motor ... leave tranny in or take out?"
In response to Reply # 9

When we took out Spoolin GS's motor there was (3) people there. We used a cherry picker with a leveler. Like he said ^^^^^^^^^, you have to kinda angle it to bring it out.

'95 Eclipse RS (sold)
'99 Eclipse GS OZ (sold)
'90 Eclipse GST (sold)
'90 Talon TSI AWD (sold)
'94 Plymouth Laser RS (sold)
'04 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t (sold)
'08 Silverado LTZ (daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #122188 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic