Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #112453
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Previous topic | Next topic
CopperEclipse96Jul-06-03 09:35 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#112453, "Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."

Alright, I still like the idea of a RWD eclipse, and mid engine would eliminate all of the driveshaft problems, and it would help with weight distribution. What would have to go into this? Obviously some fabricating for engine mount locations, custom exhaust, and many other things. What would ytou make the firewall out of? What exactly would need to be done for this to work?

---------------------------------------

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
SquidJul-06-03 10:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#112454, "RE: Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."
In response to Reply # 0

I would love to see somewhat do this, but it would take major $$$
and fabrication.

My fantasy is using the twin turbo V6 from the VR-4.

-J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

tacoman123Jul-06-03 06:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2678 posts,
#112455, "RE: Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."
In response to Reply # 1

You need to fabricate supports around the frame, because you would have to cut out a chunk for the body. Then you would have extend the wiring harness. Then you would have to figure out how cooling will work. Then about engine heat, you have to find out a way to eliminate that (as the engine will sit right behind you). And about the motor mounts. Remember this, that this IS the real world, and that the motor mounts, when cooling down, WILL move from the original location. About the firewall, I guess go to a junkyard, and look for a car with a small firewall, and that you could saw-zall or cut out and weld it inside the DSM.

~Tacoman

Pitchblack98Jul-07-03 05:50 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#112456, "RE: Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."
In response to Reply # 2
Jul-07-03 05:51 AM by Pitchblack98

here are a few ideas to go on. for the fire wall i would used 1/8" steel plating and do 2 firewalls, so to say, about an inch apart and put dynamat or something similar that will withstand some heat between them. then where you need plumbing or wires to go thru just drill a hole thru to the size you need and use a steel pipe to keep it sealed.

as for cooling a bigger radiator in the front would be needed. you could run cooling lines (hard lines of course) from the radiator in the front to the engine in the rear. I would recommend an external water pump and possible leaving out the thermostat. its gonna get hot in there reguardless of the thermostat being in there or not. This is how its done on the Acura NSX and Pontiac Fiero. they have thermostats though cause they are designed to run that way.

The easiest way to get engine mounts in and close to where they need to be would be to get a front clip with everthing already mounted and retro fit it in the rear, suspension and all. that elimenates the need to mount the suspension. you could get creative and do 4 wheel steering if you wanted to (not easy), but just weld the suspension up so it doesnt turn (make sure its straight and aligned before you do it).

There are a lot of small details to work out in order to get everything working together. Ive been researching this idea for close to a year now. Ive looked at a few other cars that have been turned into midengine cars (Top Fuel's Honda Del Sol is mid engine) and this is how it was done on those. Ill take any critizism or ideas you have to throw in here.

a_miller_76Jul-07-03 06:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#112457, "RE: Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."
In response to Reply # 3

Guys, this idea is crazier than swapping in a 4g63 and putting a GSX drivetrain in. More work, More money, More of a PITA....

If you're just dreaming, cool, I"m all for that. But don't be realistic about this.

ThE oRACLeJul-07-03 07:28 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1135 posts,
#112458, "RE: Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."
In response to Reply # 4

FUCK A TWIN TURBO V6 ..... GET A NICE V12 ...... TURBO THAT AND TALK TO ME ... ITS FUNNY I HAD THE SAME IDEA ... U WOULD HAVE TO BLOCK OFF THE ENTIRE HATCH AND U WILL NEVER AGAIN NEED YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

Pitchblack98Jul-07-03 08:12 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#112459, "RE: Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."
In response to Reply # 5

i think it would look good to have the firewall go all the way to the top of the car so you can see the engine thru the rear hatch glass. you could still put glass in the firewall to see thru but it would be easier to install a small screen and a rearview camera. Just think what the ppl at jiffy lube would think when you took it in for an oil change. lol

CopperEclipse96Jul-07-03 05:45 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
#112460, "RE: Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."
In response to Reply # 6
Jul-07-03 05:46 PM by CopperEclipse96

do like in a ferrar 360, where u can see the engine thru the rear hatch glass. and aaron, why can't we try to come up with new different ideas? so what if it's hard? i'll bet that your last post was similar to what people said about turbo'ing the 420A way back in the day. so don't post stuff that isn't on topic. this isn't the pits.

EDIT: in case you didn't know, the ferrari 360 has 2 sets of glass. ope behind the seats like in a del sol or mr-2, and the hatch glass like in our cars. don't know what kind of glass/plastic it is though.

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

9D9 MITSU RSJul-07-03 07:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#112461, "RE: Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."
In response to Reply # 7

Mahdavi motorsports put an NSX engine in the rear of a crx. Maybe you can contact them. www.mahdavimotorsports.com They are in Georgia.

a_miller_76Jul-08-03 03:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#112462, "RE: Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."
In response to Reply # 7

>do like in a ferrar 360, where u can see the engine thru the
>rear hatch glass. and aaron, why can't we try to come up with
>new different ideas? so what if it's hard? i'll bet that your
>last post was similar to what people said about turbo'ing the
>420A way back in the day. so don't post stuff that isn't on
>topic. this isn't the pits.
>
>EDIT: in case you didn't know, the ferrari 360 has 2 sets of
>glass. ope behind the seats like in a del sol or mr-2, and the
>hatch glass like in our cars. don't know what kind of
>glass/plastic it is though.

I didn't say it couldn't be done...and if you look I said something to the effect of "If you're dreaming, then cool"....I'm sure it could be done. You can do anything with enough money. I just think this is really out of the scope of reality. Everyone here gets super pissed when they read a thread title "Can I put a GST engine in my car?"....that will be 1000 times easier than this project. That's my point.

Aside from that I think if you did this you would end up with a super heavy car. There's a lot of weight in the rear end of our cars with the hatch and glass and what not. You'd have to transfer the gas tank up front, route your radiator up there to the rear, and ad a crapload of weight to the front to get it back to 50-50 weight distribution.

You would also lose a lot of your handling capabilities. From the factory we have a good bit of body stiffening in the rear. Once you cut that out for the engine/tranny then you would have a rear suspension setup that flapped around like a humming bird. So I would see that the most time would be in the suspension, not in slapping in an engine.

WheatKingJul-08-03 03:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#112463, "RE: Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse..."
In response to Reply # 9

>I didn't say it couldn't be done...and if you look I said
>something to the effect of "If you're dreaming, then
>cool"....I'm sure it could be done. You can do anything with
>enough money. I just think this is really out of the scope of
>reality. Everyone here gets super pissed when they read a
>thread title "Can I put a GST engine in my car?"....that will
>be 1000 times easier than this project. That's my point.
>
Everyone gets pissed because it's been asked 1000 times.. not that it's not feasable.

Doing things for the hell of it are the reason why we have the aftermarket that we have.. The guys way back in 95-96 who decided to bolt a turbo to a 420a.. just for the hell of it.. are the reason why the RS/GS has some shred of respect from the DSM community.

I've done several things.. just for the hell of it.. and although i probably shouldn't have, like the turbo on the stock manifold, it's good to know that it can be done.

I've got some other projects that i'm being pretty quiet about because of people like you.. and when you see them i'm pretty sure it's gonna shake up the platform once again.. both avengers/sebring and talon/eclipse.. I'm not going to tell you what it is because of those very comments above.. i've got better things to do than defend *WHY* i'm doing it, rather than actually doing it in the first place.

Now.. back to the topic at hand..

I've considered doing a mid engine.. however.. the best way to go would probably be twin engine automatic tranny cars.. much like the hyundai. The engine/tranny should fit in just fine.. and some chromoly tubing should be installed for re-inforcement of the frame.

other than that.. i doubt it would be too difficult.. the hardest part would be boxing the frame for another engine and wiring it up.

-- WheatKing

-- DSM Junkie --
4 - 1G talons
4 - Avenger/sebrings
1 - Jeep to tow em home when they break

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #112453 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Previous topic | Next topic