Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #114782
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Timing Belt Broke..Pics" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
740 turbo brickJun-15-08 07:13 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114782, "Timing Belt Broke..Pics"

Im sure some of you saw my pics of my car on the side of the road. I decided to post up my findings after working on the car.

Im putting in a replacement NV-T350 with a new clutch, polishing up the engine bay, changing timing belt/components. Im also installing an Underdrive Pulley, but theres a problem with that...
I ordered it (AF/X UDP) from Howell Automotive.. If any of you have dealt with them before..Im sorry. So whenever that gets here...it will go on.

On to pics...slow start.

After about 10 hours of working on it, I found out what actually happened. My timing belt didnt break, but it does have holes in it. I got the motor out, popped open the t-belt cover, and a bunch of BBs from a ball bearing fell out. Both the idler and tensioner pulleys failed. One got so hot it rainbowed. Thats what the noise coming from my belts was. Should have done something about it.

Ha, the last pic is me standing in the engine bay looking for bolts.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
Flipboi89Jun-15-08 08:23 PM
Member since Oct 06th 2007
392 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114783, "RE: Timing Belt Broke..Pics"
In response to Reply # 0

im sorry to here that man. good luck on the repair and have fun with it. and patience too hah

Car Status: P0140 o2 circuit number bank 1 sensor 2 Cel. Ill fix it tomorow lol.

Estimated mileage on engine: 15,xxx

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-16-08 03:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114784, "RE: Timing Belt Broke..Pics"
In response to Reply # 1

Pulley failed, eh?

Sucks.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

RoninEclipse2GJun-16-08 04:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#114785, "RE: Timing Belt Broke..Pics"
In response to Reply # 2

I've had that happen before, not fun but at least you shouldn't need to replace the head.

remember kids, ALWAYS replace your tensioner and idler pulleys when you do the timing belt, and do the timing belt on time.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

740 turbo brickJun-16-08 06:01 AM
831 posts,
#114786, "RE: Timing Belt Broke..Pics"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah Ive had a LOT of naysayers say "Oh yeah man your head is definately trash". I was like well dont jump to that conclusion, the tensioner failed but kept the belt on the pulley, and I didnt hear any mechanical damage, so Im going to keep a positive attitude about it until I pull the head.

While the motor is out Im going to be taking parts off, such as the coolant tubes that go the the heater hoses, the lift eye, probably some suspension parts, and Im going to take them to work and sandblast them. Then I have a buddy who does powder coating and have them coated black.

Anyone have any recommendations of where to get a t-belt or a belt kit? Summit has a goodyear belt for $39, and the pulley kit from autozone is like $60.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

RoninEclipse2GJun-16-08 06:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#114787, "RE: Timing Belt Broke..Pics"
In response to Reply # 4

Those will work fine. buy a new tensioner from satan to be safe as well

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

KirbyJun-16-08 07:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#114788, "RE: Timing Belt Broke..Pics"
In response to Reply # 5

I have not checked prices in a while, but Partsdianasur.com has some good prices for the 2gnt brethren. Check him out. He did not have the goodyear belts before and that's what I run too. but check him for the tensioner and pulleys...

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

justins71Jun-16-08 10:08 AM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
#114789, "RE: Timing Belt Broke..Pics"
In response to Reply # 6

I got a timing set from O'Rielly's when mine went out (Same sort of thing, belt started squaking like a MF, found a ball bearing lodged between my cam gear and timing cover, downed it right then). It's workin fine so far, I did get a different belt, didn't skimp there.

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

740 turbo brickJun-16-08 06:27 PM
831 posts,
#114790, "RE: Timing Belt Broke..Pics"
In response to Reply # 7

Worked on the car for just a few hours today. I basically got the head ready to be pulled off. The last picture is the crank pulley puller I had to rent from autozone. I told the guy I needed a 3 jaw puller and he was like "Its either for a Chrysler or a Mitsubishi isnt it?" I was like "Umm...both". And he actually knew what I was talking about. More to come probably tomarrow.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

ModeratorxcasbonxJun-17-08 07:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#114791, "RE: Timing Belt Broke..Pics"
In response to Reply # 8

Tough break man, but looks like you're well on your way to a speedy recovery (minus the UDP). Good luck finishing her up!

I contributed to the Wiki.

740 turbo brickJun-17-08 06:05 PM
831 posts,
#114792, "RE: Timing Belt Broke..Pics"
In response to Reply # 9

Thanks man. Yeah I really dont want to waste half the summer working on it, so Im trying to haul ass. Today I started pulling the motor/trans out of a 95 Talon ESi. The tranny from that is going in my car. One day at a time I guess...

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #114782 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic