Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #2595
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Replacing axle seals question...." Previous topic | Next topic
tim97rsApr-11-04 09:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2595, "Replacing axle seals question...."

can this be done by just removing the axles and pulling the old ones out and putting new ones in?. i thouhgt i read somewhere that you had to replace them from the inside. is this true?

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-11-04 10:27 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2596, "RE: Replacing axle seals question...."
In response to Reply # 0

they are replaced on the external side of the trans...no reason to open the trans up. I am t usre you can replace them on the car....pass axle would not be hard but removing the drivers may be cumbersome.

Terry

96 Eagle talon ESI
rear disk conversion - Stillen front and rear sway bars - Koni yellows wrapped with eibach - Star Stage II - Optima locate in the hatch - Tenzo-R seats/4 pt harness - momo Steering wheel - Boost/oil/EGT gauges, HKS TT

97 Eclipse
Greddy header/evo exhaust - Stage 2 6 puck Sprung hub MIBA clutch - Shortened shifter - Tokico Adj wrapped with H&R - DEI Keyless entry alarm - Niche 17" Shoks

Waiting to be installed: Apexi AFC, HKS EVC IV, ceramic intake, 450 Turbo injectors, SFMU/return line, GSX Front brakes (need rotors)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamner947Apr-11-04 05:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#2598, "RE: Replacing axle seals question...."
In response to Reply # 1

the axle shaft seals are easy to replace. they are removable with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer.

to put them back in, i used a rubber mallet and a small flat piece of wood. the wood goes on top of the seals and keeps them aligned correctly so they go in straight.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

tim97rsApr-11-04 08:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#2603, "RE: Replacing axle seals question...."
In response to Reply # 2

awesome. thanks.

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

The1BillApr-12-04 06:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#2607, "RE: Replacing axle seals question...."
In response to Reply # 3

I have a socket that is the right diameter. I put it on the seal, and hammer on the socket to install it.
Same difference, though.

-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

95_ESi_PersonApr-12-04 12:11 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#2610, "RE: Replacing axle seals question...."
In response to Reply # 4

it's a PAIN!!!

do-able though

Ozzmosis86Apr-15-04 08:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
549 posts,
#2625, "RE: Replacing axle seals question...."
In response to Reply # 5

I have done both sides of my car. Not too bad IMO. Just have to unbolt the lower control arm from the strut, and unbolt the compression arm from the chassis of the vehicle. This should give enough flex in the suspension to remove the axle from the transmission. A couple of pry bars work the best to pop the axle to get it past the o-ring, then you can just pull on the wheel and slide the axle out of the tranny. It may be tricky to pull the old seal out of the tranny. Used a neat tool, a small hook on the end of a slide hammer, it hooked onto the seal and I used the slide hammer to pop it out. I used wheel bearing grease around the inner edge of the seal to help it slide into the tranny, and also on the seal part to keep the axle from ripping it when putting it back in the tranny.

Andy

MonteSS86@hotmail.com

Check out my homepage:
http://www.geocities.com/ozzmosis86/Home.htm

and my pics page:
http://community.webshots.com/album/95705837hSPLvt

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #2595 Previous topic | Next topic