Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectReplacing axle seals question....
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=2595
2595, Replacing axle seals question....
Posted by tim97rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
can this be done by just removing the axles and pulling the old ones out and putting new ones in?. i thouhgt i read somewhere that you had to replace them from the inside. is this true?
2596, RE: Replacing axle seals question....
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
they are replaced on the external side of the trans...no reason to open the trans up. I am t usre you can replace them on the car....pass axle would not be hard but removing the drivers may be cumbersome.

Terry

96 Eagle talon ESI
rear disk conversion - Stillen front and rear sway bars - Koni yellows wrapped with eibach - Star Stage II - Optima locate in the hatch - Tenzo-R seats/4 pt harness - momo Steering wheel - Boost/oil/EGT gauges, HKS TT

97 Eclipse
Greddy header/evo exhaust - Stage 2 6 puck Sprung hub MIBA clutch - Shortened shifter - Tokico Adj wrapped with H&R - DEI Keyless entry alarm - Niche 17" Shoks

Waiting to be installed: Apexi AFC, HKS EVC IV, ceramic intake, 450 Turbo injectors, SFMU/return line, GSX Front brakes (need rotors)
2598, RE: Replacing axle seals question....
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the axle shaft seals are easy to replace. they are removable with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer.

to put them back in, i used a rubber mallet and a small flat piece of wood. the wood goes on top of the seals and keeps them aligned correctly so they go in straight.
2603, RE: Replacing axle seals question....
Posted by tim97rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
awesome. thanks.
2607, RE: Replacing axle seals question....
Posted by The1Bill, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have a socket that is the right diameter. I put it on the seal, and hammer on the socket to install it.
Same difference, though.

-=B-=
2610, RE: Replacing axle seals question....
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it's a PAIN!!!

do-able though
2625, RE: Replacing axle seals question....
Posted by Ozzmosis86, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have done both sides of my car. Not too bad IMO. Just have to unbolt the lower control arm from the strut, and unbolt the compression arm from the chassis of the vehicle. This should give enough flex in the suspension to remove the axle from the transmission. A couple of pry bars work the best to pop the axle to get it past the o-ring, then you can just pull on the wheel and slide the axle out of the tranny. It may be tricky to pull the old seal out of the tranny. Used a neat tool, a small hook on the end of a slide hammer, it hooked onto the seal and I used the slide hammer to pop it out. I used wheel bearing grease around the inner edge of the seal to help it slide into the tranny, and also on the seal part to keep the axle from ripping it when putting it back in the tranny.

Andy

MonteSS86@hotmail.com
I generated this page in 0.012643098831177 seconds, executing 7 queries.