Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #2458
View in threaded mode

Subject: "SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947Mar-15-04 05:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2458, "SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"

it's been 2000+ miles and it still slips sometimes at 1.1+ bar of boost. i'm guessing that i have about 300-320 BHP at the flywheel, with probably a slightly higher torque rating, because HRC 16G's seem to always give a little more torque than power.

it's this weird random issue, some days it's fine others it just kind of freaks out.

i know my throw out bearing is letting up enough, because it rattles around a little when the car is cold and when i push the clutch in the slightest bit the noise goes away.

i don't see any oil dripping out from where the bellhousing meets the block, and there isn't any weird crap coming out of that rubber thing where the clutch fork goes into.

even know it doesn't really bother me that much, the clutch still chatters a little when i try to gradually slip it when driving around town, but i hear this is perfectly normal for a 6 puck ceramic clutch disk.

any chance i didn't "break it in" properly? i took it easy for the first 500-1000 miles or so. i heard from some people that ceramic clutches don't need to be broken in, but others say that all clutches need to be broken in. what is happening?

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
TeamXtremeRSMar-15-04 06:25 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2459, "RE: SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Man, i'm going through the same shit you are, except I just use a 4 puck ceramic disk, and stock pressure plate/flywheel. It will slip sometimes at 13 psi, esp on a hard WOT 2-3 shift. I've heard nothing but good things about the Spec clutches holding power, so I would check this out: pull off that rubber dust boost on the release fork, and get a good, bright light and try and peek into the bellhousing. Look right around the TOB and input shaft, and see if you can find any trace of dampness, or oil anywhere. It should be completely dry everywhere. I had one clutch destroyed by a leaking trans input shaft bearing seal, but I did the light trick, and saw the fluid on the input shaft and the pressure plate fingers..wasn't too hard to figure that out..I do know of others on here who have the spec 3, running over 20 psi without any issues..so thats all i can figure out i guess

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseRSTMar-17-04 08:34 AM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
#2460, "RE: SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"
In response to Reply # 1

Get used to it dude. I have about 2,000+ miles on my SPEC stage 3 and it still chatters like a bitch. Shit from the engine bay knocks against my firewall and it sounds horrible (still can't figure out exactly what it is, thought it was my s-fmu). I either have to take off from a stop like a bat out of hell or like a little old lady. No in between slipping or else it'll chatter. I don't have problems with it slipping though when getting on it, it'll grab pretty nicely. I've had the occasional slip here and there but other than that it holds well. Needless to say this clutch has definitely made it a lot less fun as a daily driver.

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

TeamXtremeRSMar-18-04 05:41 AM
6329 posts,
#2462, "RE: SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"
In response to Reply # 2

What boost you guys running when they are slipping? I was going to get a stage 3 from spec, but i want it hold at least 20 psi or so..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

EclipseRSTMar-18-04 07:19 AM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
#2463, "RE: SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm only running about 5-6 psi and it only slips when I shift into 2nd. The wheels break loose at the top of first and when I slam it in 2nd it slipped, but that was only once.

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

SkrillaMar-18-04 09:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#2464, "RE: SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by EclipseRST
I'm only running about 5-6 psi and it only slips when I shift into 2nd. The wheels break loose at the top of first and when I slam it in 2nd it slipped, but that was only once.

damn this isn't the 1st time I've heard of these problem so I'm getting a clutchmaster stage 4, fuck the bullshit

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

TeamXtremeRSMar-18-04 11:36 AM
6329 posts,
#2466, "RE: SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Skrilla
Originally posted by EclipseRST I'm only running about 5-6 psi and it only slips when I shift into 2nd. The wheels break loose at the top of first and when I slam it in 2nd it slipped, but that was only once.
damn this isn't the 1st time I've heard of these problem so I'm getting a clutchmaster stage 4, fuck the bullshit

Yeah, bullshit, tell me about it..this will be the 5th time dropping my tranny because of clutch issues I swear if the new clutch I get slips, i'm going auto damnit hahah...ok maybe not that drastic

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Teamner947Mar-18-04 05:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#2471, "RE: SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah my next clutch is definately going to be a non-modular clutchmasters stage 4.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

JustOneMar-18-04 07:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#2472, "RE: SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"
In response to Reply # 7

Clutch Masters makes a dual puck clutch for our cars. Last time I checked prices 1600.00, they even have a carbon on carbon for us but it only comes in a three disk and is only 2600.00 hehehehe.

TeamJasonESi_TMar-19-04 04:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#2477, "RE: SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"
In response to Reply # 8

What we need is an upgraded pressure plate. I really don't experience slipping so much, b/c my tires always lose traction first!

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamXtremeRSMar-19-04 04:40 AM
6329 posts,
#2478, "RE: SPEC Stage 3 still slipping...?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by JasonESi_T
What we need is an upgraded pressure plate. I really don't experience slipping so much, b/c my tires always lose traction first!

From what i have been told, both Clutchmasters and Spec use upgraded pressure plates, increasing clamp load over stock. This is what they claim, but i'd love to put a stock pressure plate and one of their's in a plate load tester to see what it *really* is..I know Spec claims their pressure plates are 2600 lbs..not to sure what stock lb rating is though..That clutchmasters dual disk setup is sweet, but the pricetag sure isn't

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #2458 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic