Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #525
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Car having gearing problems (Need help please!)" Previous topic | Next topic
Weezle745Apr-23-03 03:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#525, "Car having gearing problems (Need help please!)"

when driving home right now, the car wouldnt go into third gear, it was as if 3rd had disappeared. But instead 5th gear was third gear. When I pulled up to the driveway, the car wont go in reverse.

Please give me your input on what the problem could be and what to check for.

--- My 2gnt WIKI contribution ---> http://www.jamlez.com/2gnt

97 Eclipse Spyder

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Weezle745Apr-23-03 07:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#526, "RE: Car having gearing problems (Need help please!)"
In response to Reply # 0

nobody?? i talked to a guy and he said it sounded like synchros went out. Any idea if he was correct?

97 Eclipse Spyder

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Matt_95tgsApr-23-03 08:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#527, "RE: Car having gearing problems (Need help please!)"
In response to Reply # 1

It wouldnt be a syncro. Sounds like a shift fork or something is up with the shift linkage on top of the tranny. I dunno man, that's a very odd problem.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-24-03 07:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#528, "RE: Car having gearing problems (Need help please!)"
In response to Reply # 2

I agree. Truth of the matter is, the way the shift selector works on the T350, it's pretty much impossible to have a gear where it isn't supposed to be. See if your linkage is bound up at the top of the transaxle.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Weezle745Apr-24-03 01:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#529, "RE: Car having gearing problems (Need help please!)"
In response to Reply # 3

ok, yesterday my dad drove the car when i was gone and he said that all the gears worked except for reverse.

the shifter also feels kinda weird when the car is parked. Like when I move it left to right, it doesnt feel like it used to.

97 Eclipse Spyder

ezApr-24-03 02:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#530, "RE: Car having gearing problems (Need help please!)"
In response to Reply # 4

Definately the linkage or fork. Shouldn't be too bad of a fix. Mikey had a problem shifting not too long ago, and he said it wasn't too difficult to resolve.

Just take apart the plastic panels between the seats, and everything is in pretty full view. I bet you'll be able to see the problem immediately. holla' if you need help!

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Weezle745Apr-24-03 06:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#531, "RE: Car having gearing problems (Need help please!)"
In response to Reply # 5

ez, i took apart the center console (where the shifter, cupholder, and cigarate lighter is located). But i dont know what to look for. The car drove today in 1-5 gear but just wont go in reverse. What days do you work/go to school Erik? maybe we can meet up and you can show me.
thanks

97 Eclipse Spyder

Matt_95tgsApr-25-03 06:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#532, "RE: Car having gearing problems (Need help please!)"
In response to Reply # 6

I would be willing to bet that your problem is not under the center console. The shift linkage that I am talking about is under the battery tray on top of the tranny itself.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

ezApr-25-03 11:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#558, "RE: Car having gearing problems (Need help please!)"
In response to Reply # 7

Matt may be right, but I'm not willing to bet on any of this I thought it may be inside the car b/c Mikey's prob was similar as I remember, and he fixed it by going behind the panels. But yea it's very possible it's actually on top of the tranny. It's a hassle to get to the top of the tranny though. Havta remove the battery and the wiper resevoir to get a good view.

I'll IM you my cell since I work during the week, and usually don't get out until suppertime. We can work on it over the weekend

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #525 Previous topic | Next topic