Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8592
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Car Sits, Clutch Slips???" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Ebster1085Oct-07-10 10:02 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8592, "Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"

So I recently put a new clutch in my car (CM Stage 4 6 puck) after the old clutch took a dump when it got oily from a leaking rear main seal. Of course, I changed the rear main during all of this.

500 mile break in went without a hitch, and for the last 2500 miles or so I have been romping on it and it has been perfect. No weird noises, no slip, no leaks, its been awesome.

A few weeks ago I bought a motorcycle, and have been riding it a lot, which caused the car to sit for about a week or so without being driven. Got in it the other day, and now all of a sudden the clutch slips under WOT pulls.

There are no leaks, no weird sounds, and none of this makes any sense to me. Bottom of the tranny near the inspection plate is dry with no drips, looked inside the fork boot and see nothing wet or looking out of the ordinary.

At this point I am beyond sick of dealing with this car, and this may be the straw that breaks the camels back if its not a simple fix. Anyone have any ideas??

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
Ebster1085Oct-08-10 10:17 PM
531 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8594, "RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"
In response to Reply # 0

Anyone?? Bullet??

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCOct-09-10 12:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8595, "RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"
In response to Reply # 1

i know we talked, but i'm wondering about other people's experiences w/ the CM stg 4 clutches. I had one and it started slipping at 15psi or higher after a few thousand miles. Got the southbend FE, problem hasnt returned.

someone else chime in please

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

ModeratorbullettdsmOct-09-10 03:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#8597, "RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"
In response to Reply # 2
Oct-09-10 03:45 PM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
i know we talked, but i'm wondering about other people's experiences w/ the CM stg 4 clutches. I had one and it started slipping at 15psi or higher after a few thousand miles. Got the southbend FE, problem hasnt returned. someone else chime in please

Ding Dong.

I've had 0 experience with the CM's. BUT there is definitely a mixed opinion on Neons.org. Some on there make the same claim as you do. Early slippage.

I gotta say, there are two clutches I stay away from, CM's and Spec's. CM's because of things I've read/heard and Spec because of personal experience as well as things I've read/heard.

With that being said, are you sure you are getting full release of the clutch?

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Ebster1085Oct-09-10 04:39 PM
531 posts,
#8598, "RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"
In response to Reply # 3

Yea, I am starting to think it's just the clutch not being able to handle the power. Maybe CM's claim of 170% over stock is BS?

Anyhow, yes Mark, I recently readjusted the pedal and bled the lines again just to make sure it was operating correctly, and all is well. Still slips at WOT at 16psi.

That being said, this is one thing I did notice. During break in, and for the first 1000 miles or so of driving, the clutch grabbed very low. I would say about an inch off the floorboard. Since then, it has gradually gotten higher, and now, its at least 2 inches, if not more. I know that after break in the engagement point will raise, but this seems like more than normal and leads me to believe the clutch may be prematurely wearing down.

It just doesn't make sense to me that this thing could be perfect for around 3K miles and then all of a sudden start slipping.

Additional thoughts?

ModeratorbullettdsmOct-10-10 03:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#8599, "RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Ebster1085
Yea, I am starting to think it's just the clutch not being able to handle the power. Maybe CM's claim of 170% over stock is BS? Anyhow, yes Mark, I recently readjusted the pedal and bled the lines again just to make sure it was operating correctly, and all is well. Still slips at WOT at 16psi. That being said, this is one thing I did notice. During break in, and for the first 1000 miles or so of driving, the clutch grabbed very low. I would say about an inch off the floorboard. Since then, it has gradually gotten higher, and now, its at least 2 inches, if not more. I know that after break in the engagement point will raise, but this seems like more than normal and leads me to believe the clutch may be prematurely wearing down. It just doesn't make sense to me that this thing could be perfect for around 3K miles and then all of a sudden start slipping. Additional thoughts?

Boy, from your description (as well as the re-bleed) all appearances are that the discs are wearing down or the PP is losing tension. All leading to the descriptions/complaints that I see on neons.org about the CM clutches (right up to the "did well for a few thousand and then slipped").

Sorry Charlie, that's all I got

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Ebster1085Oct-10-10 09:01 AM
531 posts,
#8600, "RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"
In response to Reply # 5

Wow...that is very disappointing.

420agreenvilleSCOct-10-10 07:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8601, "RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"
In response to Reply # 6

i didnt know there were complaints about these clutches. just reinforces my experiences. they're good for around 15psi.. after that, you'll need a higher stg clutch. i'd be calling them and being an asshole customer. I say do a CC chargeback. LOL

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-15-10 05:40 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#8604, "RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"
In response to Reply # 7

I have the CM stage 4 and my car sits a lot, well more than a lot.

Never have had an issue with it. Its takes all the abuse i throw at it and rigth now I am around 350WHP. Its noisy if you slip it at high RPM's but other than that its fine.

Are you using a factory Pressure plate? I run a CM lightened alum one if that makes any difference.

Terry

Ebster1085Oct-15-10 12:38 PM
531 posts,
#8605, "RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"
In response to Reply # 8

My current setup is a Fidanza aluminum fywheel (yes, I replaced the steel friction ring when I did this install) and the CM stage 4 six puck system. That includes their stage 4 disc and pressure plate.

It just seems, like Mark said, that the clutch is either prematurely wearing down or that the pressure plate is losing pressure. The grab point of the clutch pedal doubling in a 3K mile period is further proof of this.

As I said early, no leaks, no weird noises, nothing out of the ordinary. That being said, only reason I can see it slipping is due to premature wear, which seems to be a common complaint on the Neon forums.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-15-10 02:07 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#8607, "RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???"
In response to Reply # 9

See if you can acquire the step height for both the fidanza and CM flywheel and compare it. If the two are not the same and people are going cheap with the fidanza then that explains the premature slippage.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8592 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic