Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectCar Sits, Clutch Slips???
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=8592
8592, Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So I recently put a new clutch in my car (CM Stage 4 6 puck) after the old clutch took a dump when it got oily from a leaking rear main seal. Of course, I changed the rear main during all of this.

500 mile break in went without a hitch, and for the last 2500 miles or so I have been romping on it and it has been perfect. No weird noises, no slip, no leaks, its been awesome.

A few weeks ago I bought a motorcycle, and have been riding it a lot, which caused the car to sit for about a week or so without being driven. Got in it the other day, and now all of a sudden the clutch slips under WOT pulls.

There are no leaks, no weird sounds, and none of this makes any sense to me. Bottom of the tranny near the inspection plate is dry with no drips, looked inside the fork boot and see nothing wet or looking out of the ordinary.

At this point I am beyond sick of dealing with this car, and this may be the straw that breaks the camels back if its not a simple fix. Anyone have any ideas??
8594, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
Anyone?? Bullet??
8595, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i know we talked, but i'm wondering about other people's experiences w/ the CM stg 4 clutches. I had one and it started slipping at 15psi or higher after a few thousand miles. Got the southbend FE, problem hasnt returned.

someone else chime in please
8597, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
i know we talked, but i'm wondering about other people's experiences w/ the CM stg 4 clutches. I had one and it started slipping at 15psi or higher after a few thousand miles. Got the southbend FE, problem hasnt returned. someone else chime in please

Ding Dong.

I've had 0 experience with the CM's. BUT there is definitely a mixed opinion on Neons.org. Some on there make the same claim as you do. Early slippage.

I gotta say, there are two clutches I stay away from, CM's and Spec's. CM's because of things I've read/heard and Spec because of personal experience as well as things I've read/heard.

With that being said, are you sure you are getting full release of the clutch?

MB

8598, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
Yea, I am starting to think it's just the clutch not being able to handle the power. Maybe CM's claim of 170% over stock is BS?

Anyhow, yes Mark, I recently readjusted the pedal and bled the lines again just to make sure it was operating correctly, and all is well. Still slips at WOT at 16psi.

That being said, this is one thing I did notice. During break in, and for the first 1000 miles or so of driving, the clutch grabbed very low. I would say about an inch off the floorboard. Since then, it has gradually gotten higher, and now, its at least 2 inches, if not more. I know that after break in the engagement point will raise, but this seems like more than normal and leads me to believe the clutch may be prematurely wearing down.

It just doesn't make sense to me that this thing could be perfect for around 3K miles and then all of a sudden start slipping.

Additional thoughts?
8599, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Ebster1085
Yea, I am starting to think it's just the clutch not being able to handle the power. Maybe CM's claim of 170% over stock is BS? Anyhow, yes Mark, I recently readjusted the pedal and bled the lines again just to make sure it was operating correctly, and all is well. Still slips at WOT at 16psi. That being said, this is one thing I did notice. During break in, and for the first 1000 miles or so of driving, the clutch grabbed very low. I would say about an inch off the floorboard. Since then, it has gradually gotten higher, and now, its at least 2 inches, if not more. I know that after break in the engagement point will raise, but this seems like more than normal and leads me to believe the clutch may be prematurely wearing down. It just doesn't make sense to me that this thing could be perfect for around 3K miles and then all of a sudden start slipping. Additional thoughts?

Boy, from your description (as well as the re-bleed) all appearances are that the discs are wearing down or the PP is losing tension. All leading to the descriptions/complaints that I see on neons.org about the CM clutches (right up to the "did well for a few thousand and then slipped").

Sorry Charlie, that's all I got :shrug
8600, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
Wow...that is very disappointing.
8601, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
i didnt know there were complaints about these clutches. just reinforces my experiences. they're good for around 15psi.. after that, you'll need a higher stg clutch. i'd be calling them and being an asshole customer. I say do a CC chargeback. LOL
8604, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have the CM stage 4 and my car sits a lot, well more than a lot.

Never have had an issue with it. Its takes all the abuse i throw at it and rigth now I am around 350WHP. Its noisy if you slip it at high RPM's but other than that its fine.

Are you using a factory Pressure plate? I run a CM lightened alum one if that makes any difference.

Terry
8605, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
My current setup is a Fidanza aluminum fywheel (yes, I replaced the steel friction ring when I did this install) and the CM stage 4 six puck system. That includes their stage 4 disc and pressure plate.

It just seems, like Mark said, that the clutch is either prematurely wearing down or that the pressure plate is losing pressure. The grab point of the clutch pedal doubling in a 3K mile period is further proof of this.

As I said early, no leaks, no weird noises, nothing out of the ordinary. That being said, only reason I can see it slipping is due to premature wear, which seems to be a common complaint on the Neon forums.
8607, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
See if you can acquire the step height for both the fidanza and CM flywheel and compare it. If the two are not the same and people are going cheap with the fidanza then that explains the premature slippage.
8608, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
See if you can acquire the step height for both the fidanza and CM flywheel and compare it. If the two are not the same and people are going cheap with the fidanza then that explains the premature slippage.

god i never thought of that. that could very well be something to look into jess... did you start slipping ever since the fidanza install?
8610, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
I have had the Fidanza flyhwheel all along, only started slipping after around 3K miles.

Terry is right though, it could very well be the issue.
8611, RE: Car Sits, Clutch Slips???
If you call CM they will tell you its not compatible. Due ot the wrong step height the pressure plate is not holding at 100% clamping force and it will cause the disk to start slipping early. It has nothing to do with the fact its been fine till now, your missing the point.
I generated this page in 0.0097219944000244 seconds, executing 7 queries.