Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4012
View in threaded mode

Subject: "300whp with A-604 !" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
CyberManiaKMar-04-06 10:50 PM
Member since Mar 05th 2006
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4012, "300whp with A-604 !"

Hi i'm from Mexico and my car is a mexican dodge stratus r/t 97 2.4 Turbo with autostick trans (41TE/a-604). I'm finishing the engine build and i will be pushing something around 300 whp / 350 ft/lb(stock was 168 hp / 215 ft/lb). But now i'm worried about the trans. Wich mods can you recomend so my trans can handle such power? swapping to a MTX is not an option cuz the engine ECU have a lot to read from the TCM.

Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
alain95i4Mar-05-06 04:54 AM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4013, "RE: 300whp with A-604 !"
In response to Reply # 0

there is a stock transmission that can take that amount of power and it's the A604 of the pt cruiser turbo combined with an external cooler
2003-2005 high output pt cruiser turbo

or you could have an A604 built with stronger parts and they cost around $1000-1500 US

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CyberManiaKMar-05-06 09:24 AM
5 posts,
#4014, "RE: 300whp with A-604 !"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by alain95i4
there is a stock transmission that can take that amount of power and it's the A604 of the pt cruiser turbo combined with an external cooler 2003-2005 high output pt cruiser turbo or you could have an A604 built with stronger parts and they cost around $1000-1500 US Alain

Actualy my transmission have external cooler but i'm upgrading to one of the voyaguer.

Besides the upgrade part list that you have here in your page (shift kit, kevlar,etc) Is there anymore involved on the stronger parts you are talking ?
If you have parts list or there is a rebuild kit with stronger parts to handle that power and abuse lol, would be great so i can order them. Because the shipping of a hole transmission from US to Mexico would be fairly expensive.

Thanks for your help

ChamukoMar-05-06 11:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#4015, "RE: 300whp with A-604 !"
In response to Reply # 2

no one here has taken apart the pt tranny to compare. you would be better off getting it as a whole.

What part of mexico you from ?

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

CyberManiaKMar-05-06 05:03 PM
5 posts,
#4017, "RE: 300whp with A-604 !"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Chamuko
no one here has taken apart the pt tranny to compare. you would be better off getting it as a whole. What part of mexico you from ?

I'm from Guadalajara. and you ?

ChamukoMar-06-06 11:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#4018, "RE: 300whp with A-604 !"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-06-06 11:44 AM by Chamuko

hahaha perfect. I was there in dec and in june.

Mostly in lomas de zapopan, o colonia santa margarita

Might head there again in summer.That and tecalitlan, near ciudad guzman.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

CyberManiaKMar-06-06 06:35 PM
5 posts,
#4020, "RE: 300whp with A-604 !"
In response to Reply # 5

hahaha perfect. I was there in dec and in june. Mostly in lomas de zapopan, o colonia santa margarita Might head there again in summer.That and tecalitlan, near ciudad guzman.

Cool.. i actually live near Plaza del Sol not to far from Santa Margarita. when you came here give me a call, if i'm not in California with my parents they lived there. I will take you to the drag track

keeping the thread. And anybody here have swaped the Electronic Trans to a A-670 (Neon 3 speed) or even A-413 (Spirit/Shadow 3 speed ) ?

TeamMichael_97RSMar-08-06 06:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#4021, "RE: 300whp with A-604 !"
In response to Reply # 3

no one here has taken apart the pt tranny to compare. you would be better off getting it as a whole. What part of mexico you from ?

All of the upgraded PT A604 parts will fit into our case.

Exile Racing Technologies
http://www.exileracing.com
Go that way, really fast, if something gets in your way... turn.

Keith2172Mar-08-06 07:12 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#4022, "RE: 300whp with A-604 !"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-08-06 07:19 AM by Keith2172

I was gonna jump on you and say search newb, but come to think of it Im not 100% sure we've had any luck swapping a neon 3-speed. Im pretty sure it's been done though...

Edit:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=2345&mode=full

Looks like a lot of work, though you would be able to use MegaSquirt with this change very easily. Pro's and Con's to it, check it out.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

reliant_turboMar-08-06 10:32 AM
Member since Jul 28th 2003
13 posts,
#4024, "RE: 300whp with A-604 !"
In response to Reply # 8

the neon 3-speed is a viable option provided you can get the mounts to work. youll need to use a first gen neon ATX throttle body for the kick down cable.

the 413/31th is worlds stronger than the 604 and is worth using. the gripes about the tallness of the trans being an issue is invalid from the extra torque that youll be making with the 2.4L. you can use all kinds of different gearsets from all of the 3-speeds to make the ratios that you want. check out www.thedodgegarage.com in the transaxle guide.

to make it bulletproof youll want to swap to a NAN torque converter (contact DblTrbl on www.turbododge.com) and get a non-lockup torque converter input shaft from an older dodge turbo trans to match the non-lockup tq converter.

the youll want a cheetah manual valve body (165$) and the Alto 5-clutch per drum set of clutch packs. youll be good to 500hp with that setup.

there is really no trans other than a 5-speed that you can drop in the car that can reliably handle the power that you want.

Brian

Brian Bucar

www.squirrelpf.com - Dedicated to making cars perform.

Racing is an addiction that can only be cured by poverty.

88 Plymouth Reliant K 2.5L Intercooled Turbo - 5-Speed
89 Dodge Aries K 2.5L N/A Beater
88 Plymouth Reliant V6 Project

Currently helping ForceFed420A finish his custom 97 Eclipse Megasquirt Turbo project.

CyberManiaKMar-08-06 04:30 PM
5 posts,
#4026, "RE: 300whp with A-604 !"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by reliant_turbo
the neon 3-speed is a viable option provided you can get the mounts to work. youll need to use a first gen neon ATX throttle body for the kick down cable. the 413/31th is worlds stronger than the 604 and is worth using. the gripes about the tallness of the trans being an issue is invalid from the extra torque that youll be making with the 2.4L. you can use all kinds of different gearsets from all of the 3-speeds to make the ratios that you want. check out www.thedodgegarage.com in the transaxle guide. to make it bulletproof youll want to swap to a NAN torque converter (contact DblTrbl on www.turbododge.com) and get a non-lockup torque converter input shaft from an older dodge turbo trans to match the non-lockup tq converter. the youll want a cheetah manual valve body (165$) and the Alto 5-clutch per drum set of clutch packs. youll be good to 500hp with that setup. there is really no trans other than a 5-speed that you can drop in the car that can reliably handle the power that you want. Brian

Thanks a lot.. but you have any clue on what i have to do with the TCM ? i know the A-413 is a better transmission than the A-604 and also cheap to rebuild.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4012 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic