Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2345
View in linear mode

Subject: "neon auto transmission?" Previous topic | Next topic
talon_esiDec-05-03 11:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
35 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2345, "neon auto transmission?"
Dec-05-03 11:27 AM by talon_esi

ok i've looked up a search on this but all i could find was topics on manual transmissions i need info on an automatic.

ok all i want to know is will an automatic neon transmission fit or bolt right up to my auto 2gnt? from what i can understand is that for the manual transmission you have to swap the bell housing because you have to mount the 5 speed hyro thing but what about my auto?

oops! can someone move this to the auto trans section!
thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: neon auto transmission?, TeamMichael_97RS, Dec-05-03 11:50 AM, #1
RE: neon auto transmission?, talon_esi, Dec-05-03 01:23 PM, #2
      RE: neon auto transmission?, oRACLe063, Dec-31-03 07:43 AM, #3
           RE: neon auto transmission?, BlueMoonEclipse, Jan-07-04 12:07 PM, #4
                RE: neon auto transmission?, alain95i4, Jan-09-04 06:42 AM, #5
                     RE: neon auto transmission?, BlueMoonEclipse, Mar-04-04 02:00 PM, #6
                          RE: neon auto transmission?, alain95i4, Mar-09-04 05:53 PM, #7
                               RE: neon auto transmission?, BlueMoonEclipse, Mar-10-04 12:22 PM, #8
                                    RE: neon auto transmission?, 97whitESi, Mar-17-04 03:50 PM, #9
                                         RE: neon auto transmission?, BlueMoonEclipse, Mar-19-04 03:49 PM, #10
                                              RE: neon auto transmission?, oRACLe063, Apr-02-04 10:42 AM, #11
                                                   RE: neon auto transmission?, Vigo, Apr-08-04 02:17 PM, #12
                                                        RE: neon auto transmission?, alain95i4, Apr-08-04 02:58 PM, #13
                                                             RE: neon auto transmission?, Vigo, Apr-10-04 05:34 PM, #14
RE: neon auto transmission?, WIKKI, Jun-20-04 05:47 PM, #15
RE: neon auto transmission?, WIKKI, Jun-20-04 05:49 PM, #16
      RE: neon auto transmission?, BlueMoonEclipse, Jun-29-04 04:41 AM, #17
RE: neon auto transmission?, ShadowRuleZ, Jun-29-04 09:15 AM, #18
RE: neon auto transmission?, BlueMoonEclipse, Jun-29-04 07:45 PM, #19

TeamMichael_97RSDec-05-03 11:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2346, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes it bolts up, but it's not a computer controlled trans. Glacius has just finished with this swap. Not sure on mounting either. I would only do this swap on a high power strip only car, the extra gear the A604 gives you is nice for highway and cruising.

To the auto trans section.

http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

talon_esiDec-05-03 01:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
35 posts,
#2347, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Michael_97RS
Yes it bolts up, but it's not a computer controlled trans. Glacius has just finished with this swap. Not sure on mounting either. I would only do this swap on a high power strip only car, the extra gear the A604 gives you is nice for highway and cruising.

so what do i have to do to make this tranny work?

oRACLe063Dec-31-03 07:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2663 posts,
#2446, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 2

is it a 4 speed no o/d mike?

1997 RS AUTO

ORACLE063
1/4 - 17.021
60' - 2.510
Weight 2730

BlueMoonEclipseJan-07-04 12:07 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2003
1352 posts,
#2468, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 3

its a 3 speed from what i know....

Dont know if it has lockup either dont think so...

A604 has lockup and OD....its great having 4 gears + lockup for cruising in long trips...but having a great trany thats been reliable for high power must be awesome for the strip

alain95i4Jan-09-04 06:42 AM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#2471, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 4

quote from the FAQ of neons.org

The Neon automatic transmission is a three-speed, mechanically-controlled unit. Shifts are regulated by throttle position via a cable attached to the throttle body, while an internal governor sets the maximum upshift speed at 6500 rpm. It has a lockup torque converter for improved mileage, but no overdrive like the manual has. It is an older Chrysler design, and as such, is a reliable, durable transmission. The automatic transmission is not a good match for the DOHC engine, because its shift points occur too early to make full use of the DOHC's high-revving power. DOHCs are rev-limited at 6750 rpm when coupled with the automatic transmission, due to limitations of the torque converter. For people with no tachometer, the SOHC turns about 3500 rpm at 80 mph in top gear, while the DOHC turns about 3750 rpm at the same speed

the good news: you could use a high stall non-lockup torque converter made for the turbo II cars of the late 80's early 90's and they are really affordable, the tranny is also a lot stronger than the a604
parts also available for that tranny: stronger manual valve body to convert the tranny into a full semi-automatic tranny, available in reversed or regular mode, shift kit are also available

the bad news; the final ratio is 2.98 for the SOHC and 3.19 for the DOHC if you want to keep an acceleration similar to the a604 you would need a final drive gears mode, however the gears for this mod are discontinued from chrysler, howell wss supposed to do a set of 1.3 and 1.4 multiplier but i have no details or updates on this

the tranny drops in the hole and according to Glacius the axels and the engine mounts are reusable, you will need to add a shift down cable that goes from the throttle body to the tranny

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

BlueMoonEclipseMar-04-04 02:00 PM
1352 posts,
#2602, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 5

Ok i know this post is in page 2 but i dont want to make a new thread on this

So....all in all i need #1 neon trans, specialty mounts for trans and i need to make throtle connection for kickdown....so should (would??) an aftermarket at neon throtle body (like howells)work with it or should i keep the 2gnt one (dont think the neon one would even bolt to our intake)

That it?? anyone can call glacius???

alain95i4Mar-09-04 05:53 PM
794 posts,
#2623, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by BlueMoonEclipse
Ok i know this post is in page 2 but i dont want to make a new thread on this So....all in all i need #1 neon trans, specialty mounts for trans and i need to make throtle connection for kickdown....so should (would??) an aftermarket at neon throtle body (like howells)work with it or should i keep the 2gnt one (dont think the neon one would even bolt to our intake) That it?? anyone can call glacius???

the neon tb is the same tb as our cars
the only difference is the angle of the cable linkage

the tranny is easy to drop in Glacius even use the stock a604 engine mounts

Alain

BlueMoonEclipseMar-10-04 12:22 PM
1352 posts,
#2626, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 7

SWEEEET

Monster built 3 speed here i come

97whitESiMar-17-04 03:50 PM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
1334 posts,
#2656, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 8

in case you need to know, the trans model number is A413
if you want to build the trans, i think the high HP turbododge guys use minivan internals in theirs,

anyways, heres a good A413 site,
http://www.omniturbo.com/Turbo%20Mopars%20Home.htm

you can find more about them in the transmission section of http://www.turbododge.com/

BlueMoonEclipseMar-19-04 03:49 PM
1352 posts,
#2658, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 9

Yes when its on an old bellhousing...the one we need is an a670 (neon bellhousing)...suposedly its internalls are allready upgraded...leme ask mookie...

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

oRACLe063Apr-02-04 10:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2663 posts,
#2736, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 10

i though we were 3 gears also with planetary o/d ?

1997 RS AUTO

ORACLE063
1/4 - 17.021
60' - 2.510
Weight 2730

VigoApr-08-04 02:17 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2003
37 posts,
#2762, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 11

670 bellhousings are designed for mitsu 6g 3.0 v6 pattern.. the 420 pattern is not the same. 670 is a v6-only trans.

a word on using high stall converters from old turbo dodges.. the factory ones only had a 3000 rpm stall, and if you want to maintain lockup, you're gonna need to get one ONLY from a 91-92 model 2.5 turbo auto.. pretty damn rare, but probly worth it imo. all other years the turbo autos did NOT have lockup.

also, the 3 spd can use gearsets from any other 3spd.. a final drive from 2.60:1 to 3.2:1 is possible with junkyard gears. check out

http://www.robskorner.freehomepage.com/faqs/Trans/a413trans.html

to see which cars came with which transfer and ring and pinion gear sets. custo mgears would be cool.. hope they pull through on that!

1993 Dodge Dynasty LE 3.3 Auto, 95k, Stock.
16.2@84mph

alain95i4Apr-08-04 02:58 PM
794 posts,
#2763, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Vigo
. a word on using high stall converters from old turbo dodges.. the factory ones only had a 3000 rpm stall, and if you want to maintain lockup, you're gonna need to get one ONLY from a 91-92 model 2.5 turbo auto.. pretty damn rare, but probly worth it imo.

check them
they sell torque converter for Chrysler starting at $99 for the old turbo one

http://www.bulkpart.com/

Alain

VigoApr-10-04 05:34 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2003
37 posts,
#2773, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 13

hmm, if i can get a 3000 stall lockup converter for 99 bucks, i am ALL OVER IT. also, seeing that the 470 670 and 604 all share a converter on that last once, it makes me wonder if i could use the same converter on my torquey 3.3??? that would be pimptastic except i would need better tires to make 1st gear useable again, lol.

1993 Dodge Dynasty LE 3.3 Auto, 95k, Stock.
16.2@84mph

WIKKIJun-20-04 05:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#3078, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-20-04 06:45 PM by WIKKI

Hey Guys!
long time no talky huh?

I just need to put in my .02¢ worth in.
The Neon 3speed is NOT a very good option for us. although it is a very stout transmission, the drawbacks are too large to make it a wise choice.
for starters.
the neon 3speed gets it's speed signal from a gear located in the passenger side axle housing. the same housing that we need to swap in order to make our axles fit in this transmission. according to the measurements I have found on the internet, I believe that neon axles will not fit our cars. (I may find out more later on if we can piece the two axles together to make them work).
the only mount that is a direct fit is the rear. the side mount fits pretty well after another hole is drilled into it. and the front mount needs to be completely fabricated (neons do not use a front mount) there aren't bolt holes in the bell housing for this mount. you would have to use the two on the lower side of the bell housing to make this work.
A complete new bracket needs to be made to attach the shifter cable to this transmission, and the throw for a neon shifter and ours is NOT the same. the neons shifter has a much shorter throw. you would have to either put up with 1 and 2 not lining up on your shift indicator, or extend the throw of the neons shifting lever (on the transmission.
you need to rig up a way to attach a detent cable to your throttle body for the transmission kick down. this is not a small thing because the operation of the transmission is totally reliant on how well this cable is adjusted.
And lastly because the neons gearing is WAY TOO TALL! I'm not kidding! you can go over 80 mph in second gear! you thought that your car dogged off the line with the A604!

that being said, this is a good little transmission. it is Identicle in size (and weight) to the A604. it shifts very crisp even without a performance valve body. I just think that anyone would have to weigh these things very carefully before deciding to do this mod. it is truly a complete BITCH to do, just to make your car slower than it was before

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

WIKKIJun-20-04 05:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#3079, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 15

Oh!
and I ought to kick Glacius in the head for being so vague about what was needed to do this swap.

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

BlueMoonEclipseJun-29-04 04:41 AM
1352 posts,
#3107, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 16

We should have a sticky on how to do this swap....with its pros and cons

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

ShadowRuleZJun-29-04 09:15 AM
Member since Jun 19th 2004
118 posts,
#3108, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 0

I actually swapped an A670 into a 3.0 v6 Lebaron in place of the A604. The 670 is completely hydraulically controlled, there are no electronics. In the lebaron, the axles and the passenger side extension were the same so no modifications had to be made there. I did have to swap the driver side trans mount though. In terms of wiring, I had to fool the neutral/saftey switch, as well as the reverse lights. I never got around to rigging up the torque convertor lock up, which I was going to run to a switch in the car. I also had to splice the VSS (speed sensor) into the wiring harness directly.

In all - to much of a headache, and that trans failed after 300 miles for me anyways. That's why i bought my DSM, although I don't know if I'd buy the dsm again knowing it has this piece of junk a604 in it.

BlueMoonEclipseJun-29-04 07:45 PM
1352 posts,
#3112, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 18

Still the 670 when modded properly is a great RACING trans

BTW if you race one a lot you should have a spare ready to swap in

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2345 Previous topic | Next topic