Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2641
View in threaded mode

Subject: "head unit memory backup" Previous topic | Next topic
97eclipseRSMay-23-02 11:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2641, "head unit memory backup"

i've had a clarion head unit for a while, but i'm startin' to get pissed at the fact that everytime i disconnect the battery, the thing gets reset. apparently the person that installed the unit didn't connect the memory backup to the battery, so i was wondering which terminal to connect the lead to. i should know this, but i'm having some sort of mental block at the moment. tia

- Dan

HRC Stage 2|30lb injectors|S-FMU|Walbro255HP|AFX UDP|B&M Short Shifter w/ Symborski Shift Kit|Rear Strut Bar|Power Slot Rotors|more...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
All4thaN0okieMay-23-02 11:47 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2001
501 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2642, "RE: head unit memory backup"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe i misunderstood the question.... but..when you disconnect the battery the head unit is supposed to reset..because it has no power at all from anywhere....

'95 Eclipse RS
INTERIOR
-Sony CDXM 750
-2 JL Audio 12w0 subs
-Premiere Amp
-CompuStar 2WAS Alarm with Remote Start and Pager
EXTERIOR
-Enkei 15" wheels (came with the car)
-2nd Generation Altezza Tails
-Clear Bumper Lenses
-APC Speed Glo Mirrors (with turn signals)
-Red LED Washer Nozzles
PERFORMANCE
-K&N Filter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamXtremeRSMay-23-02 11:52 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#2643, "RE: head unit memory backup"
In response to Reply # 0

yep, when you disconnect the battery, the HU will be reset. Thats how its supposed to be. Now if you turn you key off, and the radio resets, then you indeed have the memory wire not seeing power. So if you HU keeps memory with the key turned off, then you are fine.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

97eclipseRSMay-23-02 12:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
#2644, "RE: head unit memory backup"
In response to Reply # 2

really, i originally thought so, but it didn't seem to make sense to me. so you're saying that all HU's reset everytime you disconnect the battery? it's really annoying. oh well, guess that shows how much i know about car audio. btw, when i said disconnect the battery, i meant just the negative terminal. i end up doing this a lot when working on the car, and it just seemed wrong that the radio resetting everytime was actually how it was supposed to be.

- Dan

HRC Stage 2|30lb injectors|S-FMU|Walbro255HP|AFX UDP|B&M Short Shifter w/ Symborski Shift Kit|Rear Strut Bar|Power Slot Rotors|more...

fasterGSMay-24-02 04:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2645, "RE: head unit memory backup"
In response to Reply # 3

Dont they make something with an internal battery for the memory? I coulda sworn Ive seen something like this. Of course this woulda been a couple years ago when I was into stereos and all that. If not then one of you smart guys could make a few bucks with something like this.

red98eclipseRSMay-24-02 09:42 PM
Member since May 23rd 2002
75 posts,
#2646, "RE: head unit memory backup"
In response to Reply # 4

Hey, your HU should not totally reset everytime you turn your car off (example. everytime you turn your car back on you have to reset your clock) if this is so you gotta problem. i had this problem in an old grandam i had. i have no idea how to fix it as someone else did it for me.. you can always pay 40 bux or so and have the problem tooken care of. in my opinion it is better then having to reset all your options over again.

97eclipseRSMay-25-02 04:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
#2647, "RE: head unit memory backup"
In response to Reply # 5

the only time it resets is when i disconnect the neg terminal, which is what is supposed to happen from what everyone has said. it doesn't reset when i turn off the car. it just seems like a bad design not to have some sort of memory backup(i.e. battery). is there a reason why it's made without one?

- Dan

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2641 Previous topic | Next topic