Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjecthead unit memory backup
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=2641
2641, head unit memory backup
Posted by 97eclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i've had a clarion head unit for a while, but i'm startin' to get pissed at the fact that everytime i disconnect the battery, the thing gets reset. apparently the person that installed the unit didn't connect the memory backup to the battery, so i was wondering which terminal to connect the lead to. i should know this, but i'm having some sort of mental block at the moment. tia
2642, RE: head unit memory backup
Posted by All4thaN0okie, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
maybe i misunderstood the question.... but..when you disconnect the battery the head unit is supposed to reset..because it has no power at all from anywhere....

'95 Eclipse RS
INTERIOR
-Sony CDXM 750
-2 JL Audio 12w0 subs
-Premiere Amp
-CompuStar 2WAS Alarm with Remote Start and Pager
EXTERIOR
-Enkei 15" wheels (came with the car)
-2nd Generation Altezza Tails
-Clear Bumper Lenses
-APC Speed Glo Mirrors (with turn signals)
-Red LED Washer Nozzles
PERFORMANCE
-K&N Filter

2643, RE: head unit memory backup
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yep, when you disconnect the battery, the HU will be reset. Thats how its supposed to be. Now if you turn you key off, and the radio resets, then you indeed have the memory wire not seeing power. So if you HU keeps memory with the key turned off, then you are fine.
2644, RE: head unit memory backup
really, i originally thought so, but it didn't seem to make sense to me. so you're saying that all HU's reset everytime you disconnect the battery? it's really annoying. oh well, guess that shows how much i know about car audio. btw, when i said disconnect the battery, i meant just the negative terminal. i end up doing this a lot when working on the car, and it just seemed wrong that the radio resetting everytime was actually how it was supposed to be.
2645, RE: head unit memory backup
Posted by fasterGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Dont they make something with an internal battery for the memory? I coulda sworn Ive seen something like this. Of course this woulda been a couple years ago when I was into stereos and all that. If not then one of you smart guys could make a few bucks with something like this.
2646, RE: head unit memory backup
Posted by red98eclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey, your HU should not totally reset everytime you turn your car off (example. everytime you turn your car back on you have to reset your clock) if this is so you gotta problem. i had this problem in an old grandam i had. i have no idea how to fix it as someone else did it for me.. you can always pay 40 bux or so and have the problem tooken care of. in my opinion it is better then having to reset all your options over again.
2647, RE: head unit memory backup
the only time it resets is when i disconnect the neg terminal, which is what is supposed to happen from what everyone has said. it doesn't reset when i turn off the car. it just seems like a bad design not to have some sort of memory backup(i.e. battery). is there a reason why it's made without one?
I generated this page in 0.011192083358765 seconds, executing 7 queries.