Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4102
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Whats some decent 6x9's?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
nappyjimOct-03-02 10:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
8043 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4102, "Whats some decent 6x9's?"

Im lookin to upgrade my stock 6x9's inb the back. And the speakers in the doors. What size are those? I dont need the most expensive shit out there? Just something that i can crank up louder without disotrtion. What should I go with?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
home.comcast.net/~nappyjim/songs.html
home.comcast.net/~7291834avi/carputer/carputer.html
www.cardomain.com/id/napppyjim

*Proud Member of the Top Ten Post Whore Club*
*Proud And Co-Founding Member Of The Zoom Zoom Revolution*
nappyjim-3 Chip-0
No one likes you chip, go away.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
audiophylOct-03-02 11:50 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
152 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4103, "RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?"
In response to Reply # 0

The car actually calls for 5.25" in the front doors and 6x9's in the rear. I would recommend using a 6.5" component set for the front and a 6.5" coaxil for the rears. What you will find with our cars is that a 6x9 might not fit in the rear, since there isn't enough depth. Plus, a round speaker will give you better sound quality.

In the front, you will have to cut a little of the factory speaker pod, but it's easy and will give you more mid-bass up front.

Good luck to you!

J. Mykel Hill
SLAP Mid-West Event Coordinator

jmykel@slapshow.com

Certified IASCA Judge
Certified SLAP Judge

http://members.cardomain.com/audiophyl

2002 Sound, Looks, & Performance National Champion--Advanced Mitsubishi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

a_miller_76Oct-03-02 11:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#4104, "RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?"
In response to Reply # 1

>The car actually calls for 5.25" in the front doors and
>6x9's in the rear. I would recommend using a 6.5" component
>set for the front and a 6.5" coaxil for the rears. What you
>will find with our cars is that a 6x9 might not fit in the
>rear, since there isn't enough depth. Plus, a round speaker
>will give you better sound quality.
>
>In the front, you will have to cut a little of the factory
>speaker pod, but it's easy and will give you more mid-bass
>up front.
>
>Good luck to you!

You sure about all that there bud? I have Type R's in the rear and they fit just fine....go through your CC speakers...they're the biggest we sell. And I had a set of Polk components up front...no cutting required, 6.5"s. Now the Type R's you have to manufacture a new mount for them in the doors...but most 6.5 component sets will work

95_ESi_PersonOct-08-02 07:07 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#4105, "RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?"
In response to Reply # 2

Mine I needed 5.25 in front (door) but in back, the store said 6x9, but when I looked back there... 6.5" what gives? I had a nice set of Kenwoods in my buick i was gonna put in there, but coulden't. So, I bought 2 way Kenwood 6.5's.

If they are 6.5's, why write 6x9? or does everyone else have 6x9's?

a_miller_76Oct-08-02 07:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#4106, "RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?"
In response to Reply # 3

Heh...did you notice that your 6.5" mount was shaped like a 6X9?

I have the same setup. Our cars didn't come with the Infinity system, so we had 6.5"'s around. You can just cut that mount in the rear if you want the 6X9's to fit.

audiophylOct-08-02 12:44 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
152 posts,
#4107, "RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?"
In response to Reply # 4

My '97 Eagle Talon ESI came with 5.25's in the front and 6x9's in the rear. With this in mind, I modified the front and placed a 6.5" component set in it's place. Next, I tried to install my JL Audio VR series 6x9's in the rear. The magnet structure was too large. Therefore, I mounted a JL Audio VR650CX and now I have the problem solved.

As far as depth, we can put almost anything in our doors. I'm actually considering placing a set of JL Audio 8's in the doors for better bass up front.

Good luck to you!

J. Mykel Hill
SLAP Mid-West Event Coordinator

jmykel@slapshow.com

Certified IASCA Judge
Certified SLAP Judge

http://members.cardomain.com/audiophyl

2002 Sound, Looks, & Performance National Champion--Advanced Mitsubishi

jerseystyle1Oct-09-02 05:29 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#4108, "RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?"
In response to Reply # 5

I have 6 1/2 inch kicker comps in the doors and the rear stock locations and they are awesome. Don't waste your time with 6x9's, they are junk! Whave you ever seen oval shaped high end speakers? You will be much happier with a good set of 6 1/2 midbass woofers.

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

95_ESi_PersonOct-11-02 07:23 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#4109, "RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?"
In response to Reply # 6

I don't know about that... I had some Kenwood 6x9's and they kicked some ass!!! (in a buick too). Why would they shape the back ones for 6x9's and only put in 6.5's?

jerseystyle1Oct-12-02 12:20 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#4110, "RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?"
In response to Reply # 7

Why, because they are inexpensive for the amount of surface area they provide. If you look at all "High End" factory stereos coming out in Luxury vehicles none of them have 6X9's they all have factory subwoofers. With the large amount of high quality 6 1/2 woofers, you can't go wrong.

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

pn0ymahalOct-13-02 02:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#4111, "RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?"
In response to Reply # 8

i love my setup, heres a quick overview..this was top of the line kicker shit back in the day... of course it all changes each yr ..whatever i love to show people what a 'real' sound system sounds like ..you want bass? i got it.. you want voice? i got it... you want a sweet setup? hmm i got it..mine is not the best but ok...
Sounds-
Kenwood Head Unit
Kenwood E.Q.
Kicker Front Speakers
Kicker Rear Speakers
Kicker Kick Panels (front)
Kicker 10" Subs (2)
Kicker Amp (2)

Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2
Stage 3 process begins anyone got a 420a block thats not spun/head for sale?

http://www.dreamwater.net/purplebeast

Michael
99gs hrc stage 5000 SOLD...
2004 Honda Accord V6 (240 hp)stock
what other car should i buy?? hmmm
Car info & pictures at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/520269

bstnsportsfanOct-15-02 02:55 PM
Member since Oct 10th 2002
26 posts,
#4112, "RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?"
In response to Reply # 9

As far as speakers go, I personally like JL the best, although I also like Alpine Type-R. The problem I notice is, theres so many speaker companies and most audio shops only carry a few. When I lived in NH, I liked tweeter, seemed to have a wide variety, now I live in S. Fl. I have a shop I go to but they just sell Alpine, PG, and JL. Anyone ever been to Sound Advice? I need to check them out. As far as my car, I plan on going JL 6.5 componets in front, and possibly JL 6x9s in rear. I'm not sure which model, depends on budget.

Chris
98 Eclipse RS

Chris
98 Eclipse RS

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4102 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic