Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectWhats some decent 6x9's?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=4102
4102, Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by nappyjim, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im lookin to upgrade my stock 6x9's inb the back. And the speakers in the doors. What size are those? I dont need the most expensive shit out there? Just something that i can crank up louder without disotrtion. What should I go with?
4103, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by audiophyl, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The car actually calls for 5.25" in the front doors and 6x9's in the rear. I would recommend using a 6.5" component set for the front and a 6.5" coaxil for the rears. What you will find with our cars is that a 6x9 might not fit in the rear, since there isn't enough depth. Plus, a round speaker will give you better sound quality.

In the front, you will have to cut a little of the factory speaker pod, but it's easy and will give you more mid-bass up front.

Good luck to you!

4104, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>The car actually calls for 5.25" in the front doors and
>6x9's in the rear. I would recommend using a 6.5" component
>set for the front and a 6.5" coaxil for the rears. What you
>will find with our cars is that a 6x9 might not fit in the
>rear, since there isn't enough depth. Plus, a round speaker
>will give you better sound quality.
>
>In the front, you will have to cut a little of the factory
>speaker pod, but it's easy and will give you more mid-bass
>up front.
>
>Good luck to you!

You sure about all that there bud? ;) I have Type R's in the rear and they fit just fine....go through your CC speakers...they're the biggest we sell. And I had a set of Polk components up front...no cutting required, 6.5"s. Now the Type R's you have to manufacture a new mount for them in the doors...but most 6.5 component sets will work :thumbsup

4105, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Mine I needed 5.25 in front (door) but in back, the store said 6x9, but when I looked back there... 6.5" what gives? I had a nice set of Kenwoods in my buick i was gonna put in there, but coulden't. So, I bought 2 way Kenwood 6.5's.

If they are 6.5's, why write 6x9? or does everyone else have 6x9's?
4106, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Heh...did you notice that your 6.5" mount was shaped like a 6X9?

I have the same setup. Our cars didn't come with the Infinity system, so we had 6.5"'s around. You can just cut that mount in the rear if you want the 6X9's to fit.
4107, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by audiophyl, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My '97 Eagle Talon ESI came with 5.25's in the front and 6x9's in the rear. With this in mind, I modified the front and placed a 6.5" component set in it's place. Next, I tried to install my JL Audio VR series 6x9's in the rear. The magnet structure was too large. Therefore, I mounted a JL Audio VR650CX and now I have the problem solved.

As far as depth, we can put almost anything in our doors. I'm actually considering placing a set of JL Audio 8's in the doors for better bass up front.

Good luck to you!

4108, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by jerseystyle1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have 6 1/2 inch kicker comps in the doors and the rear stock locations and they are awesome. Don't waste your time with 6x9's, they are junk! Whave you ever seen oval shaped high end speakers? You will be much happier with a good set of 6 1/2 midbass woofers.
4109, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't know about that... I had some Kenwood 6x9's and they kicked some ass!!! (in a buick too). Why would they shape the back ones for 6x9's and only put in 6.5's?
4110, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by jerseystyle1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Why, because they are inexpensive for the amount of surface area they provide. If you look at all "High End" factory stereos coming out in Luxury vehicles none of them have 6X9's they all have factory subwoofers. With the large amount of high quality 6 1/2 woofers, you can't go wrong.

4111, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by pn0ymahal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i love my setup, heres a quick overview..this was top of the line kicker shit back in the day... of course it all changes each yr ..whatever i love to show people what a 'real' sound system sounds like ..you want bass? i got it.. you want voice? i got it... you want a sweet setup? hmm i got it..mine is not the best but ok...
Sounds-
Kenwood Head Unit
Kenwood E.Q.
Kicker Front Speakers
Kicker Rear Speakers
Kicker Kick Panels (front)
Kicker 10" Subs (2)
Kicker Amp (2)

Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2
Stage 3 process begins anyone got a 420a block thats not spun/head for sale?

http://www.dreamwater.net/purplebeast
4112, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by bstnsportsfan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
As far as speakers go, I personally like JL the best, although I also like Alpine Type-R. The problem I notice is, theres so many speaker companies and most audio shops only carry a few. When I lived in NH, I liked tweeter, seemed to have a wide variety, now I live in S. Fl. I have a shop I go to but they just sell Alpine, PG, and JL. Anyone ever been to Sound Advice? I need to check them out. As far as my car, I plan on going JL 6.5 componets in front, and possibly JL 6x9s in rear. I'm not sure which model, depends on budget.

Chris
98 Eclipse RS
4113, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by ddimestoledotalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I hope you guys know that 6x9's are not the right size for the back speakers unless you do some major cutting . the right size is 5x7's
4114, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by djtrickee, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My 6X9's bolted right up with no problems or cutting at all... Definantly the right size. However, the were too deep and wont fit which sucks balls cuz now I am stuck with a pair of new speakers that wont fit in the friggin car... I will have to figure something out to make em fit because I am sick of not having something finished.
-Chris b.
4115, RE: Whats some decent 6x9's?
Posted by ddimestoledotalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
thats what i meant if there to big than they werent the right size. Now you have to do some reconstruction to the car to make them fit
I generated this page in 0.010135173797607 seconds, executing 7 queries.