Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectMade foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=92541
92541, Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My headlights were developing a bad case of cataracts, so I decided to go the wetsanding route instead of buying the ebay projectors. My eyes are still good at night so I didn't really need to spend the money on projectors anyway :)

Here is what I had to begin with. Notice the condensation:

closeup of the condensation:

There are four bolts that hold in each headlight. 3 are easy, but the 4th bottom bolt makes up for it. Word on the street is, you don't need to take off the bumper if you can get to that bottom bolt with an extension. Well you need a very long extension, and still has to do some crazy maneuvering to get to that bolt. It's actually easier to just take the bumper off IMO

Just like mom used to make! -

I only heat it up for 2-3 minutes at 250 degrees. Comes apart pretty easy. Be careful not to let the glue fall into the chrome housing.

Now, at this point I sanded the outside. 400->1500->2000 wetsanding on the outside. Then use mcguires plastic polish (microabrasive) to finish it. For the inside, I just used the mcguires plasitic polish. It removes the inside film easily. I put them back together with door/window silcone that you can find at home depot. works great!
Compare the finished passenger headlight to the driver headlight.

close up of passenger light reassembled:

closeup of drivers side. Now you can see what a difference it makes!

I guess I could have made demon eyes too, but I didn't want to spend the time on it. but the insatiable urge to take the orange lens out was too much for me

Inspiration from squids old thread:
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=54903&mode=full

92542, RE: Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by saikou, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Looks like your driver's side marker light is popping off. :P

The passenger side headlight turned out really great, man. Way to go!
You had it pretty bad though with your headlights; that's the worst I've seen! :eek

::EDIT::
... well, the worst I've seen with 2GB headlights... I've seen some pretty bad 2GA headlights though.

::EDIT AGAIN::
I forgot to mention, it's really damn gorgeous where you live.
92543, RE: Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by BlackMagic, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
wow man definite improvement
92547, RE: Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Good Job! I have never seen 2gb lights in that kind of condition though that looks horrible. Your lights were looking like the run of the mill 2ga style lights.
92548, RE: Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by Clay, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Good job on the restore and write up.
92550, RE: Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Demon Eyes???

I didn't think that happened to 2gb headlights.

first time I did mine was 2000 grit wetsanding then taking a buffer to them at the same time I was buffing out my paint (after wetsanding out the orange peel in the clear that didn't lay down right).
92551, RE: Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by destruckeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Oh man that looks nice. I gotta get to work on mine. :thumbsup
92580, RE: Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by edxmon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yo man, i found the 3M liquids i was talking to you about, just hit me up and well clear those head lights down to hell!, btw nice work, check out my addition to Squids "wet sanding headlights" thread, those things will do wonders!
92583, RE: Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by edxmon
yo man, i found the 3M liquids i was talking to you about, just hit me up and well clear those head lights down to hell!, btw nice work, check out my addition to Squids "wet sanding headlights" thread, those things will do wonders!

3M Finesse-it Finishing Material? That's what I used.
92593, RE: Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Nice work, Erik. 500-1500-2000-polish? I really need to do that to mine. Only, I've got the flakey clearcoat action going on mine. I must have the ill-fated 2Ga headlights, since I picked up Daisy in late 96 as a 97. Talons just kept using the same housings... :(
92596, RE: Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by saikou, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DR1665
Talons just kept using the same housings... :(

Suckahs!...

I generated this page in 0.0087709426879883 seconds, executing 7 queries.