Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #54903
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wet Sanding Headlights" Previous topic | Next topic
SquidAug-10-03 10:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54903, "Wet Sanding Headlights"

My headlights were looking like shit thanks to 73k miles; most of which came on the highway.

What I used:
400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit wet sandpaper
Turtle Wax Polish
Meguiar’s Plastic Cleaner, Polish

I started off by sanding as much of the pitting off the headilights. At this point the headlights will look like shit.

400 grit:

600 grit:

1000 grit:

1500 grit:

2000 grit:

The Meguiar’s Cleaner and Polish said it was non-abrasive which worried me so I decided to use the Turtle Wax Polish just to make sure (How can you smooth something out without removing material?)
Turtle Wax Polish:

Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner:

Meguiar's Clear Plastic Polish:

-J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, 808dsmtuner, Aug-10-03 10:54 AM, #1
RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, FnNitWit81, Aug-10-03 11:04 AM, #2
      RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, fauchpj, Aug-10-03 02:06 PM, #3
      RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, shuwa29, Aug-10-03 02:27 PM, #4
           RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, CopperEclipse96, Aug-10-03 03:08 PM, #5
                RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, shuwa29, Aug-10-03 03:13 PM, #6
                     RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, theallpowerfulme, Aug-10-03 03:44 PM, #9
      RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, eclipticrider, Aug-10-03 03:43 PM, #7
      RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, Squid, Aug-10-03 03:43 PM, #8
           RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, Aggression, Aug-10-03 03:51 PM, #10
                RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, Squid, Aug-10-03 04:03 PM, #11
                     RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, TeamDR1665, Aug-11-03 04:39 AM, #12
                          RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, Squid, Aug-11-03 06:26 AM, #13
                               RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, talon614, Aug-13-03 09:04 AM, #14
                                    RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, ez, Aug-13-03 02:10 PM, #15
                                         RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, Weezle745, Aug-13-03 08:17 PM, #16
                                              RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, Squid, Aug-14-03 04:59 AM, #17
                                                   RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, dustin bowls, Dec-21-05 01:34 PM, #18
                                                        RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, 96rs-t, Dec-21-05 02:03 PM, #19
                                                             RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, TeamDR1665, Dec-23-05 03:13 PM, #20
                                                                  RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, dustin bowls, Dec-23-05 03:35 PM, #21
                                                                       RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, TeamDR1665, Dec-23-05 03:42 PM, #22
                                                                       RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, dsmmyth, Dec-23-05 05:07 PM, #23
                                                                            RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, pr0, Dec-24-05 08:37 AM, #24
                                                                                 RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, 95_ESi_Person, Dec-27-05 07:50 PM, #25
                                                                                      RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, pr0, Dec-29-05 07:00 PM, #26
                                                                                           RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, Aggression, Jan-11-06 06:00 AM, #27
                                                                                                RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, destruckeclipse, Jan-11-06 06:38 AM, #28
                                                                                                     RE: Wet Sanding Headlights, edxmon, Jan-28-06 02:04 PM, #29

808dsmtunerAug-10-03 10:54 AM
Member since Dec 29th 2002
665 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54907, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 0

nic

hawaii boy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FnNitWit81Aug-10-03 11:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1861 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54910, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 1

Or you could send your lights to me and have me buff the shit out of them in five min....lol

Look good man

fauchpjAug-10-03 02:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4784 posts,
#54917, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 2

that looks really good. i tried that on my old ones. i started out with 400 and they looked like the pic you showed, then i progressed to higher grit, but it was still scratched to hell and back so i just bought a cover off shuwa lol

shuwa29Aug-10-03 02:27 PM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
#54918, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 3

glad to be of servic

later

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

CopperEclipse96Aug-10-03 03:08 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
#54919, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 4

got any more shuwa? my lens on my projector is all scratched up on the outside.

---------------------------------------

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

shuwa29Aug-10-03 03:13 PM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
#54921, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 5

sorry afraid not. the one fauch got was from the headlight the deer destroyed. surprisingly, the outer cover was fine but the inner housing was cracked. i never understood that. and the other headlight (driver side) that was still in perfect condition went to jerseystyle. sorry man, i'm outx(

later

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

theallpowerfulmeAug-10-03 03:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#54927, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 6

hmmm, I just used mother's wheel polish on mine, rubbed it on, buffed it off, and they look good as new.

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

eclipticriderAug-10-03 03:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1061 posts,
#54924, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 2

>Or you could send your lights to me and have me buff the shit
>out of them in five min....lol

where are you located?? if ur near tampa i'd love to have this done my driver sides looks like shyt!!

WTB: Dodge Omni

http://www.geocities.com/shadyporshe851proof/frame_content/indexframe.html

mods: star stage III clutch + 60mm tb + the normal mods, bass, lights well u get the picture

SquidAug-10-03 03:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#54925, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 2

>Or you could send your lights to me and have me buff the shit
>out of them in five min....lol

Now you tell me.

For a moment I though I had fucked up, but anything was better than the pitted shit I had.

-J

AggressionAug-10-03 03:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#54931, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 8

damn that turned out nice.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

SquidAug-10-03 04:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#54932, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 10

With the lights on you can see some haze at night. But a lot better than what it was before:

-J

TeamDR1665Aug-11-03 04:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#54974, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 11

Nice progress pics sir!

There is an excellent polish called Simichrome (do a search on Yahoo and you'll find a million places to get it). It's a metal polish so you can use it on all kinds of stuff, but it also works good on plastic, from what I've read. I have some and have that surface crust/flaky stuff goin on with my lights too, so I'll give it a try and see how if comes out. When I was reading up on it, I found that it is very popular for polishing plastic too.

Those plastic cleaners/polishes work pretty good too imo. Good write up!

SquidAug-11-03 06:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#54981, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 12

I decide to take the pics because I had heard of a few having problems when trying to sand their headlights. I think the trick is to make sure that you don't move on to the next grit of sandpaper till you have taken off all of the scratches from the previous girt of sandpaper.

Basically you're using the roughest grit to remove the pitting and all subsequent grits and polishes to remove the scratches from the previous girt.

To make sure I got all the scratches out I would sand perpendicular to the previous grit's direction. For example: I sanded horizontally with the 400 grit. Then I sanded vertically with the 600 grit till all the scratches were oriented vertically. If I saw any horizontal scratches that ment they were there because of the 400 grit and had to continue sanding with the 600 till they were gone. Then the 1000 grit went horizontally. Etc.

-J

talon614Aug-13-03 09:04 AM
Member since Dec 19th 2001
64 posts,
#55131, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 13

mother mag alumiun polish best ever

Is your dash painted?

ezAug-13-03 02:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#55149, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 14

very good post squid, and excellent job taking and formatting those progress pics. u should be a photographer. I didn't even think about doing something like that. now I'll definately do that.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Weezle745Aug-13-03 08:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#55193, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 15

good job!

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY 95-96 GET IT SO BAD????

I see a bunch of 95s with yellow drivers side headlights. It looks like someone dropped my headlight in a bucket of honey and let it dry up. But my passengers side is perfect.

Kaiser told me about some stuff that is supposed to work really good but I forgot what it was. Kaiser?

--- My 2gnt WIKI contribution ---> http://www.jamlez.com/2gnt

97 Eclipse Spyder

SquidAug-14-03 04:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#55211, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 16

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I don't know what causes the yellowing on the 95-96 lights. All I know is that the pitting and chipping on mine was caused by the sandblasting effect caused by my many cross-country trips.

-J

dustin bowlsDec-21-05 01:34 PM
Member since Dec 18th 2005
9 posts,
#91424, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 17

Where can I buy high grit sand papers? I went to home depot and the highest wetsand was 600.

96rs-tDec-21-05 02:03 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
#91425, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 18

old ass thread, but you can find 1500-2000 grit @ walmart, autozone, pepboys...etc. I bought mine at walmart.

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

TeamDR1665Dec-23-05 03:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#91475, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by 96rs-t
old ass thread, but you can find 1500-2000 grit @ walmart, autozone, pepboys...etc. I bought mine at walmart.

Maybe so, but it shows he used the search. We can't bitch people out for not using the search and then bitch again when they do.

dustin bowlsDec-23-05 03:35 PM
Member since Dec 18th 2005
9 posts,
#91476, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 20

I went to Wal-mart and the highest they had was 400 grit and it was dry sand paper. Any other ideas?

TeamDR1665Dec-23-05 03:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#91477, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by dustin bowls
I went to Wal-mart and the highest they had was 400 grit and it was dry sand paper. Any other ideas?

Autozone or your favorite auto parts store. They will have a section full of shit like sandpaper and Bondo.

dsmmythDec-23-05 05:07 PM
Member since Aug 24th 2004
1178 posts,
#91479, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by dustin bowls

I went to Home Depot for 1000 grit. I had to order 2000 grit online off eBay. Was like 2 bucks.

What? I live in a redneck county.

1998 Eclipse GS

GS-T Axleback|CAI|OBX 4-1 Header|AF/X UDP|

Originally posted by Kaoz78
Did you happen to look at the post date of this topic? I didn't think so there Jesus. Way to raise Lazarus, buddy.

pr0Dec-24-05 08:37 AM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
288 posts,
#91484, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 23

Everytime I try wet sanding it looks okay for like two days then its all foggy again.

95_ESi_PersonDec-27-05 07:50 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#91527, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 24

Originally posted by pr0
Everytime I try wet sanding it looks okay for like two days then its all foggy again.

did you buff it afterward?

pr0Dec-29-05 07:00 PM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
288 posts,
#91553, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 25

Yea I did. Still fogs up. I will end up swapping the lights with the 97-99 ones though soon.

AggressionJan-11-06 06:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#91754, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 26

I was wondering how long this lasts usually. Do you have to keep buffing it regularly now that you have done the sanding on it?

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

destruckeclipseJan-11-06 06:38 AM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#91755, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 27

Maybe putting on some type of clear sealer on it would keep you from having to buff it all the time now?

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

edxmonJan-28-06 02:04 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#92163, "RE: Wet Sanding Headlights"
In response to Reply # 28

sorry to bring this old post up again, but i have just used this awesome write-up, and found a great addition to it, and since i got a digi. cam. right now, i went crazy, heres some pics of the final products using the 2 liquids:

that'll shine um right up and leave em looking like new after following the sanding write up

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #54903 Previous topic | Next topic