Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #202
View in linear mode

Subject: "Quick turbo survey (for future reference)" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJeff_99gsDec-08-00 03:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#202, "Quick turbo survey (for future reference)"

Hey guys..quick poll,

How many people on the board are turbo now? (or plan to be, if you were in the star group buy).
And of that number, how many have had NO problems at all? How long have you had it installed, and what kit do you have/how much are you boosting? Also, do you have any other mods (different fuel pump, EGT, A/F, etc)
This is all quite valuable info, seeing as how we already know that a good number of people have blown their engines...
Just trying to keep it safe for the rest of us

Jeff

http://gs.dsmpower.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
HRC Stage II, Lee, Dec-08-00 08:00 AM, #1
RE: HRC Stage II, BoostnRS, Dec-08-00 09:11 AM, #2
RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference), ModeratorCorbin, Dec-08-00 09:23 AM, #3
RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference), SaberKhan, Dec-08-00 10:31 AM, #4
RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference), rsXboy99, Dec-11-00 09:47 AM, #5
RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference), TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-11-00 01:23 PM, #6
RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference), TeamWyatt, Dec-11-00 01:39 PM, #7
      Fuel Mapper Clarification, TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-11-00 01:53 PM, #8
           RE: Fuel Mapper Clarification, TeamMuRiX, Dec-12-00 02:35 AM, #10
RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference), Jason 95 GS Turbo, Dec-11-00 06:32 PM, #9
RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference), WheatKing, Dec-13-00 10:58 AM, #11
RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference), silvergs T, Dec-13-00 11:43 AM, #12
RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference), Nemizis, Dec-18-00 06:14 AM, #13
AIRPLANE FUEL ?????, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-18-00 06:52 AM, #14
      RE: AIRPLANE FUEL ?????, Nemizis, Dec-20-00 07:38 AM, #15

LeeDec-08-00 08:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
309 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#203, "HRC Stage II"
In response to Reply # 0

I have the HRC Stage II, but it's not installed yet. I'm saving for the install as well as the necessary assortment of gauges. The only mods I have are the free air box mod and a front upper strut bar, but after I get the kit installed I plan on saving to beef up my internals and also upgrading my suspension.

Lee

HRC Stage II
Coming Soon!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BoostnRSDec-08-00 09:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#204, "RE: HRC Stage II"
In response to Reply # 1

Custom turbo here !!
-= RS Turbo=-

ModeratorCorbinDec-08-00 09:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#205, "RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference)"
In response to Reply # 0

used HRC/custom kit...put it on in July...boosting around 9 psi...no real problems yet. See my page below for details on the kit and other mods.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T
HRC + FMIC
http://members.nbci.com/cbehnken/

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

SaberKhanDec-08-00 10:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#206, "RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference)"
In response to Reply # 0

I already purchased a Star Stage 1 kit with the upgraded E turbo, didnt get stage 2 cause I'm getting a huge Apex'i intercooler and Apex'i sequential b.o.v. I'm already in the works of getting my internal parts (JE pistons, Crower rods), and I'll be getting a clutch soon after. I'm probably going to sell my boost dependant FMU and get an adjustable Vortech unit. Going with 550cc injectors an a S-AFC along with all the necessary gauges and a MSD DIS-2 ignition. I already have a Greddy Power Extreme cat back exhaust, ported head and manifold, nology hotwires, TenzoR intake with cold air piping. My future plans are to run the 550cc injectors and the S-AFC until I can get a stand-alone engine management computer, then I'll get larger injectors and be able to control/read more boost.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

rsXboy99Dec-11-00 09:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
113 posts,
#207, "RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference)"
In response to Reply # 4

I have the star stage 2 kit for my car, it took me 3 months to get it, but once it was on my car it was awesome!!! I had it on my car for a month, and blew the engine. I am in the process of having my engine rebuilt with je pitsons, crowder rods, 550 cc injectors, bearings arp studs, and all that good stuff. I was boost 11psi When I blew it. My car had 20k miles on it as well.

TeamJasonESi_TDec-11-00 01:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#208, "RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference)"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON 11-Dec-00 AT 06:57 PM (PST)

I bought the stge 1 turbo kit from HRC. I have a FMIC ready to be installed.

I haven't had any real problems to speak of. Certainly nothing that harms the car. I had to straighten my fuel mapper a couple of times after the install, but I resolved it myself once I learned that the piece required a "strong" connection by WRAPPING the fuel mapper wires around the map sensor wires at least 3 or 4 times.

I have had my setup in for about 5500 miles.

I decided not to go with the HRC inline fuel pump and opted for the widely used walbro 255lph-HP model.

I have a westach EGT and an intellitronix a/f meter. I want a jumptronix one badly. I also have an obd-2 datalogger which monitors many sensors including both of the O2 sensors.

The rest of my mods can be obtained from my site below.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamWyattDec-11-00 01:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#209, "RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference)"
In response to Reply # 6

Hey Jason, When you say you had problems with the HRC voltage Clamp, what kind of problems did your car suffer from? Just a check engine light when boosting over 4.5 psi of boost?
Thanks,
Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.dsmpower.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

TeamJasonESi_TDec-11-00 01:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#210, "Fuel Mapper Clarification"
In response to Reply # 7

LAST EDITED ON 11-Dec-00 AT 06:54 PM (PST)

Well, of course the most annoying problem...a check engine light! (argh...)

But other than that, it was a very annoying stumbling feeling at the onset of boost (not at a particular psi of boost). So whenever my boost guage went from about 0 psi to 1 psi, my car stumbled. Also when I let off the throttle after hard acceleration, it stumbled some too. Basically whenever the car went from vacuum to boost or boost to vacuum, it wasn't very happy.

I had HRC send me another fuel mapper, again, mysteriously without any success. So I thought about the problem for awhile, and just decided to do the whole connection over again. THIS TIME though, I wrapped the fuel mapper (clamp) around the map sensor wires at least 3 or 4 times, if not more. I really wanted to establish a firm connection. Then of course soldered the thing. Result: Complete success.

Thereafter, I made the recommendation to HRC engineering to make the alteration on their instructions to amplify the importance of a good connection made here.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamMuRiXDec-12-00 02:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#211, "RE: Fuel Mapper Clarification"
In response to Reply # 8

The problem you describe is exactly all the fuel defencer is supposed to fix. vacuum to boost voltage reading which causes a stumble/hesitation/flat spot. I know Joe A. went through three of em before HRC finnally sent one that worked. they had a bad batch or something, but supposedly that has been fixed.

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage II
And a whole lot of other mods...
89 Accord LSi - yes it's mine
http://murix.home.icq.com/index.html

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

Jason 95 GS TurboDec-11-00 06:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
183 posts,
#212, "RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference)"
In response to Reply # 0

star stage II. I picked it up used with a cracked downpipe...and a thermal 3" exhaust...i won't tell you guys how much so i don't make you jealous. anyway..i ain't really had too many problems as of yet...cept for fixing the downpipe...my A/F meter reads weird...as soon as the wastegate opens, it hits full lean, but, there are no signs of detonation. So, i don't know what is going on with it. My next steps are the haltech, which i will keep all you kats informed about, and some 625cc injectors... should have all the basics of a low 12 second run..minus the rods and pistons...that is for next winter...wanna get the fuel i need for them first. Anyway...i ain't really had too many probs though...

jason
95 GS turbo

WheatKingDec-13-00 10:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#213, "RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference)"
In response to Reply # 0

I've got a homemade kit on my 95 sebring (420a)

No real problems yet, but i'm not really driving it anywhere either.. (only about 1 mile so far).. of that mile of driving.. i drove it hard.. no real problems presented themselves (except a coolant system leak to the turbo..) seemed to run rich.. time will tell.

makes about 6-8psi of boost with a 14b on the stock manifold.

Hacked up the stock downpipe to accomidate the turbo.

for $125 in parts. i'm not complaining yet.. heheh

ttyl

WheatKing

----------------------------------------
91 Talon AWD - Rusted & Busted..
95 Sebring LX 2.0L 5sp Backyard Turbo'd
95 Avenger 2.0L 5sp - 100% stock!
96 Jeep Cherokee - Tow vehicle

-- DSM Junkie --
4 - 1G talons
4 - Avenger/sebrings
1 - Jeep to tow em home when they break

silvergs TDec-13-00 11:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
16 posts,
#214, "RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference)"
In response to Reply # 11

Got a HRC stage 1, but trying to decide on a FMIC to upgrade to
stage 2. Anybody got any ideas on a decent FMIC??

NemizisDec-18-00 06:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
35 posts,
#215, "RE: Quick turbo survey (for future reference)"
In response to Reply # 0

HRC Stage II 1/2 I guess since I just ordered the lower compression pistons and H-rods today after breaking a piston. I have over 25k on the turbo, pushin 10psi mostly (bad, bad idea at only 100psi of fuel) treated the car to airplane fuel during the summer months (60gas/40rocket mix)Magnecore wires, Brospeed catback with X-Tec muffler, Extrude honed intake manifold, header wrap from the down-pipe to the cat, heat shield wrap over all of the intake piping, and a Walboro big boy pump on order.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-18-00 06:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#216, "AIRPLANE FUEL ?????"
In response to Reply # 13

WTF ? WHY???!?!?

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

NemizisDec-20-00 07:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
35 posts,
#217, "RE: AIRPLANE FUEL ?????"
In response to Reply # 14

Because the octane rating is 120+, lowers the chances of detonation....try a half a tank, then ask me why

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #202 Previous topic | Next topic