Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #9962
View in linear mode

Subject: "where to get new paint job?" Previous topic | Next topic
1995GSNov-29-01 08:14 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2001
190 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9962, "where to get new paint job?"

Are threre any national chain places that do a good job? Macco is cheap but ive heard a mixed bag of reviews about them. Im trying to spend less then 1000. Does it cost extra to get the car a completely differenct coler then what it origonaly was?

-Brian

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: where to get new paint job?, Teameclipse804, Nov-29-01 08:45 AM, #1
RE: where to get new paint job?, 1995GS, Nov-29-01 09:41 AM, #2
RE: where to get new paint job?, LoudEclipse, Nov-29-01 09:50 AM, #3
      RE: where to get new paint job?, fauchpj, Nov-29-01 10:10 AM, #4
           RE: where to get new paint job?, 1995GS, Nov-29-01 10:16 AM, #5
                RE: where to get new paint job?, LoudEclipse, Nov-29-01 11:04 AM, #6
                     RE: where to get new paint job?, evan2, Nov-29-01 11:56 PM, #7
                          RE: where to get new paint job?, 1995GS, Nov-30-01 01:18 AM, #8
                               RE: where to get new paint job?, evan2, Nov-30-01 03:08 AM, #9
                               RE: where to get new paint job?, dalesmitsu, Jan-27-08 10:59 PM, #10
                                    RE: where to get new paint job?, djtrickee, Jan-28-08 09:40 AM, #11
                                         RE: where to get new paint job?, totaleclipse_05, Jan-28-08 04:12 PM, #12

Teameclipse804Nov-29-01 08:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9963, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 0

No national chain shops are good. They are all "economy" paint jobs that try to do over 30 paint jobs in a week in order to make a profit. A professional auto body shop with an experienced painter is your best option. Most shops have more than one painter, and you have to try to find out who is the best. You'll pay over 2k for a good paint job, with real paint (PPG). Maaco uses enamel paints and most of their paint doesn't even use a clear coat over it. You get what you pay for...you'll have a lot of fish eye and a weird surface if you get it painted from Maaco or Earl Sheib or 1 day paint.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1995GSNov-29-01 09:41 AM
190 posts,
#9964, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmmm 2k is too high for me.

Heres my budget as i see it:

$4500 for the 1995 GS
$2200 for the turbo
$600 for leather seats
$500 "look good" mods

I am gonna hve about 7-7.5k by the end of the summer.

-Brian

LoudEclipseNov-29-01 09:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
#9965, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 2

============================================================

wo0t!
then wait and get it painted then

wo0t

fauchpjNov-29-01 10:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4784 posts,
#9966, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 3

how many miles does your car have? $4500 is a bit cheap. you may need a rebuild for that turbo kit. i dont know tho

1995GSNov-29-01 10:16 AM
190 posts,
#9967, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 4

ebay has some cheap non turbos, but i was looking at autotrader and some dealers have 75kmile Gs's for like 4500-4800 and private sellers have some nice low miles (around 40-50k) for like 4300-4500.

Resale seems to be bad on most used car sites, but high on DSM only sale placed and message boards.

-Brian

LoudEclipseNov-29-01 11:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
#9968, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 5

wo0t!
buy one and do it!

wo0t

evan2Nov-29-01 11:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3903 posts,
#9969, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 6

yea man dont go to macco or other types.. though i have heard some do a ok job.. but also that workers said they just paint over stock paint.. so some said to do all the prep work yourself and have them just spray but..ur car is not worth that crap job.. and if your going to spend a g or so on paint it should be worth it.. you will never really beat stock paint unlesss u got the dough.. 1000 dollar job will still have some mistakes..

yes it costs more to totally chage colors can really give u the exact reason i just know it does..

but i payed 1700 to have my kit put on, mold the sides and rear in. shave my door handles and antenna and then paint it light silver with aa fucshia pearl.. was 1500 but my side skirts didnt fit and they have to do a lot of cutting.. but i thihk it was a good price took me about 2 months to decied on who to do it.. but hes a mini trucker so u know how they are with body work and such.. the paint is good cept for some spots but thats how most paint jobs are unlesss u pay.. im happy with it. i think it looks sweet..

now time to save up for the turboo.. oh yea

I love dino and 2gnt. ####ers (my word) bliz stole it but i let him borrow it

1995GSNov-30-01 01:18 AM
190 posts,
#9970, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 7

Ok, ive decided i dont need a paintjob that bad

How much would it cost to paint things i add? like another spoiler or front bumper? Would maaco do something like that?

-Brian

evan2Nov-30-01 03:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3903 posts,
#9971, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 8

it all varys on shops and areas u live.. my boy got his whole kit painted to match stock and put on for 400 which i think is super cheap. i payed 150 to paint my old bozz evo front end once..
paint was good but prep work sucked..

always try to do the prep work your self most shops dont want to hassle with it..they just spray and u have chips and etc.. and it loooks bad..

most people can spray.. they just dont waste time preping ....

i would still not go to macco though just find a good respected body shop..

I love dino and 2gnt. ####ers (my word) bliz stole it but i let him borrow it

dalesmitsuJan-27-08 10:59 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#100439, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by 1995GS
Ok, ive decided i dont need a paintjob that bad How much would it cost to paint things i add? like another spoiler or front bumper? Would maaco do something like that? -Brian

Here's a pic of my Front bumper and right fender from an accident I paid 500 for both and they shop does the prep work. I seen a custom paint job and the area they work. They also do the colormatch Oe spec. Family owned shop been inbusiness for 30yrs

Don't mind the HOOD I have a Vis Hood going on very soon when this weather breaks

Looks good though

djtrickeeJan-28-08 09:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#100441, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 10

Lets all say YAY for a 7 year old thread...

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

totaleclipse_05Jan-28-08 04:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100442, "RE: where to get new paint job?"
In response to Reply # 11

YAY!

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #9962 Previous topic | Next topic