Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6491
View in linear mode

Subject: "Porting the Turbo" Previous topic | Next topic
Talon93AwdJul-19-07 05:58 PM
Member since Jul 19th 2007
17 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6491, "Porting the Turbo"

well im planning on porting the turbo since ive heard it could make a big difference if you dont have the money to buy a new one. just was wondering a few things... when i remove the turbo off the car can i drop it threw the bottom or do i need to take the manifold off? and when i port it i need to completely take apart the turbo to port it right? i looked around but couldnt find any pics of a ported turbo. how much should i exactly port it and everything? any help would be great! i know it will take along time to port it but i have time lol.

1998 Eclipse GS - Daily Driver
1993 Talon TSI AWD Auto - Project

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Porting the Turbo, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jul-20-07 03:06 PM, #1
RE: Porting the Turbo, Talon93Awd, Jul-21-07 10:45 AM, #2
      RE: Porting the Turbo, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jul-21-07 01:03 PM, #3
           RE: Porting the Turbo, techboy, Jul-23-07 08:13 AM, #4
                RE: Porting the Turbo, Talon93Awd, Jul-23-07 09:54 AM, #5
                RE: Porting the Turbo, kelvinb1, Jul-27-07 03:30 PM, #6
                     RE: Porting the Turbo, 2GeclipseRS, Jan-28-08 10:57 AM, #7
                          RE: Porting the Turbo, goalie40, Feb-12-08 04:48 PM, #8
                               RE: Porting the Turbo, 2GeclipseRS, Mar-27-08 04:27 AM, #9
                                    RE: Porting the Turbo, goalie40, Apr-18-08 08:02 AM, #10
                RE: Porting the Turbo, Keith2172, Apr-28-08 06:50 AM, #11

ModeratorbullettdsmJul-20-07 03:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6492, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 0

Um, I don't want to sound like a dick here (no offense meant), are you sure you want to attempt that? It takes a bit of background to go into porting a turbo (or anything for that matter). You could easily get less power out of your turbo if you don't know what you are doing.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Talon93AwdJul-21-07 10:45 AM
17 posts,
#6493, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 1

well i found a article on dsmsource with how to do it and how much to port so you dont go extreme. but idk if im going to. with the time i put into that i could just get a 16g turbo lol. i just wanted to see if anyone had any info or ideas about this as i saw there was nothing about it on here.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJul-21-07 01:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6494, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 2
Jul-21-07 01:05 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by Talon93Awd
i saw there was nothing about it on here.

And for good reason.
You should send it out to be ported and have it done RIGHT. Yes it will cost a few bucks, but better than ending up with a paperweight...
E316G's are cheap enough so that's always an option. You can get the turbo and install kit for less than $700.
Taking it off is easy enough since it's already been replaced. At least you won't have to worry about breaking any studs. Well, then again...
Pull radiator, disconnect oil and coolant lines, unbolt o2 housing from DP, Unbolt turbo from manifold, drop down, take out.
There are 3 bolts and one stud holding the turbo to the manifold. When you have it apart, take the stud out and replace it with a bolt.
Don't forget the high temp, silver anti-seize!!!!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

techboyJul-23-07 08:13 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#6495, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 3

Additionally ... if you take the turbo completely apart you usually have to have it balanced when you reassemble it, which is something that it needs to sent out to have done professionally. IMO .... keep saving your money and just buy a bigger turbo.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

Talon93AwdJul-23-07 09:54 AM
17 posts,
#6496, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 4

exactly what im doing lol well im working on getting the fuel set first and get a safc and a logger to make sure nothing out of wack.

kelvinb1Jul-27-07 03:30 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#6497, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 5

see if you can find a blown or just the exhaust housing off of an evo 3 gt 16g turbo. its basically your best choice for an exhaust housing. the turbo its self is a fucking joke.

2GeclipseRSJan-28-08 10:57 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#6498, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by kelvinb1
see if you can find a blown or just the exhaust housing off of an evo 3 gt 16g turbo. its basically your best choice for an exhaust housing. the turbo its self is a fucking joke.

T28 CHRA w/ported exhaust and compressor housings.

Sleeper status.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

goalie40Feb-12-08 04:48 PM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#6499, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 7
Feb-12-08 04:48 PM by goalie40

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
Originally posted by kelvinb1 see if you can find a blown or just the exhaust housing off of an evo 3 gt 16g turbo. its basically your best choice for an exhaust housing. the turbo its self is a fucking joke.
T28 CHRA w/ported exhaust and compressor housings. Sleeper status.

Thats me
I picked up a greddy T28 off a nissan 240. I then used the exhaust side from the T25 hand ported (by me) to fit the .48 induser wheel 5ish hours of grinding but it spins free and smooth and bolts up to my GST with no issues. To be safe I also have a sfac and evo injectors fuelpump next month.

The trick was taking off a little metal at a time and check it again and again and again, till you get there.
You can send out the t28 to be made into a big 16g killer. Stock looks but better than a big 16g

oh yes there will be boost.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

2GeclipseRSMar-27-08 04:27 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#6500, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 8

I've got a stocker comming in the mail. 300ish for a t28 chra and i'm going to town on that bitch with a die grinder. Doesn't bother me. I love fab work.

It'll either go on my 2gnt or a 4g car. Right now, i can get a gsx (2g, 6 bolt swap, not running $800) and a gst (wrecked but fixable all stock underhood $800) and still have enough money left over to build them both if i sell my car.

goalie40Apr-18-08 08:02 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#6501, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 9

As the happy owner of a gst I love this thing. I have my very first DSM cruise on friday night. Pics will be up after.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

Keith2172Apr-28-08 06:50 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#6502, "RE: Porting the Turbo"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by techboy
Additionally ... if you take the turbo completely apart you usually have to have it balanced when you reassemble it, which is something that it needs to sent out to have done professionally. IMO .... keep saving your money and just buy a bigger turbo.

Actually, just to be completely accurate to the situation, you don't have to rebalance this because he's not taking the charge apart to get the turbine housing off. Technically a person gould do this job without touching the wheel's at all, just saying...

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6491 Previous topic | Next topic