Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectPorting the Turbo
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=6491
6491, Porting the Turbo
Posted by Talon93Awd, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well im planning on porting the turbo since ive heard it could make a big difference if you dont have the money to buy a new one. just was wondering a few things... when i remove the turbo off the car can i drop it threw the bottom or do i need to take the manifold off? and when i port it i need to completely take apart the turbo to port it right? i looked around but couldnt find any pics of a ported turbo. how much should i exactly port it and everything? any help would be great! i know it will take along time to port it but i have time lol.
6492, RE: Porting the Turbo
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Um, I don't want to sound like a dick here (no offense meant), are you sure you want to attempt that? It takes a bit of background to go into porting a turbo (or anything for that matter). You could easily get less power out of your turbo if you don't know what you are doing.
6493, RE: Porting the Turbo
well i found a article on dsmsource with how to do it and how much to port so you dont go extreme. but idk if im going to. with the time i put into that i could just get a 16g turbo lol. i just wanted to see if anyone had any info or ideas about this as i saw there was nothing about it on here.
6494, RE: Porting the Turbo
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Talon93Awd
i saw there was nothing about it on here.

And for good reason. :P
You should send it out to be ported and have it done RIGHT. Yes it will cost a few bucks, but better than ending up with a paperweight...
E316G's are cheap enough so that's always an option. You can get the turbo and install kit for less than $700.
Taking it off is easy enough since it's already been replaced. At least you won't have to worry about breaking any studs. Well, then again... ;)
Pull radiator, disconnect oil and coolant lines, unbolt o2 housing from DP, Unbolt turbo from manifold, drop down, take out.
There are 3 bolts and one stud holding the turbo to the manifold. When you have it apart, take the stud out and replace it with a bolt.
Don't forget the high temp, silver anti-seize!!!!
6495, RE: Porting the Turbo
Posted by techboy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Additionally ... if you take the turbo completely apart you usually have to have it balanced when you reassemble it, which is something that it needs to sent out to have done professionally. IMO .... keep saving your money and just buy a bigger turbo.
6496, RE: Porting the Turbo
exactly what im doing lol :) well im working on getting the fuel set first and get a safc and a logger to make sure nothing out of wack.
6497, RE: Porting the Turbo
Posted by kelvinb1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
see if you can find a blown or just the exhaust housing off of an evo 3 gt 16g turbo. its basically your best choice for an exhaust housing. the turbo its self is a fucking joke.
6498, RE: Porting the Turbo
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by kelvinb1
see if you can find a blown or just the exhaust housing off of an evo 3 gt 16g turbo. its basically your best choice for an exhaust housing. the turbo its self is a fucking joke.

T28 CHRA w/ported exhaust and compressor housings.

Sleeper status.
6499, RE: Porting the Turbo
Posted by goalie40, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
Originally posted by kelvinb1 see if you can find a blown or just the exhaust housing off of an evo 3 gt 16g turbo. its basically your best choice for an exhaust housing. the turbo its self is a fucking joke.
T28 CHRA w/ported exhaust and compressor housings. Sleeper status.

Thats me
I picked up a greddy T28 off a nissan 240. I then used the exhaust side from the T25 hand ported (by me) to fit the .48 induser wheel 5ish hours of grinding but it spins free and smooth and bolts up to my GST with no issues. To be safe I also have a sfac and evo injectors fuelpump next month.

The trick was taking off a little metal at a time and check it again and again and again, till you get there.
You can send out the t28 to be made into a big 16g killer. Stock looks but better than a big 16g

oh yes there will be boost.

6500, RE: Porting the Turbo
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've got a stocker comming in the mail. 300ish for a t28 chra and i'm going to town on that bitch with a die grinder. Doesn't bother me. I love fab work.

It'll either go on my 2gnt or a 4g car. Right now, i can get a gsx (2g, 6 bolt swap, not running $800) and a gst (wrecked but fixable all stock underhood $800) and still have enough money left over to build them both if i sell my car. :)
6501, RE: Porting the Turbo
Posted by goalie40, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
As the happy owner of a gst I love this thing. I have my very first DSM cruise on friday night. Pics will be up after. :)
6502, RE: Porting the Turbo
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by techboy
Additionally ... if you take the turbo completely apart you usually have to have it balanced when you reassemble it, which is something that it needs to sent out to have done professionally. IMO .... keep saving your money and just buy a bigger turbo.

Actually, just to be completely accurate to the situation, you don't have to rebalance this because he's not taking the charge apart to get the turbine housing off. Technically a person gould do this job without touching the wheel's at all, just saying...
I generated this page in 0.0080051422119141 seconds, executing 7 queries.