Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6254
View in linear mode

Subject: "1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?" Previous topic | Next topic
Vandy420aJul-26-03 09:48 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6254, "1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"

hey guys,

First off, I have a slightly leaky Type S BOV that is getting addressed tomorrow...but today as I drove home from work for shits and giggles I hit the "memory" button on my boost gauge..it was close to 1.6bar, which is around mid 20's in psi, right? (14.6psi in a bar?) the only other mods I have (recently done) is a K&N filter I put on today, and the leaky type S. Is this spike normal?

thanks!

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, Vandy420a, Jul-26-03 10:15 PM, #1
RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, invaznGST, Jul-27-03 04:01 AM, #2
      RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, chrysler kid, Jul-27-03 07:22 AM, #3
      RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, widebodied, Jul-27-03 10:02 AM, #5
           RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, icedout, Jul-27-03 10:28 AM, #6
      RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, superdavesgst, Jul-27-03 07:24 AM, #4
           RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, HybriDSM, Jul-27-03 10:38 AM, #7
                RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, eclipsekaiser, Jul-28-03 10:55 AM, #8
                     RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, chrysler kid, Jul-28-03 12:15 PM, #9
                          RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, HybriDSM, Jul-28-03 06:20 PM, #10
                               RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, Vandy420a, Jul-29-03 07:42 PM, #11
                                    RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, klipzracer, Jul-30-03 11:03 AM, #12
                                         RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?, Mr Mike, Jul-30-03 05:52 PM, #13

Vandy420aJul-26-03 10:15 PM
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6255, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 0

ok I'd like to clarify 2 things:

1) I'm a moron who should search more often

2) Is it ok to continue modding (apex n-1) w/o a boost controller if i'm getting these spikes?

thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

invaznGSTJul-27-03 04:01 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
#6256, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 1

you'll always spike.. it's hard to get no spike at all. I'm set at 14-15 psi but i'll spike up to 16 or 17. it all depends..and i dont get what this 'bar' stuff is. heh. i just have a regular autometer ultra-lite boost gauge that measures -30 vacuum up to +30 psi of boost. but getting a catback N1 should be fine.

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

chrysler kidJul-27-03 07:22 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#6257, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 2

i have had it spike at 1.8 bar, and once even at 2.0 bar. i thought 2.0 bar was 20 psi. how is a bar measured in psi?

11.65 @ 115

widebodiedJul-27-03 10:02 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2257 posts,
#6258, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 3
Jul-27-03 10:03 AM by widebodied

>i have had it spike at 1.8 bar, and once even at 2.0 bar. i
>thought 2.0 bar was 20 psi. how is a bar measured in psi?

so your saying you hit near 29 psi's on a t-25. thas 2.0 bars, stop dreaming chrysler kid,btw what do u have to measure boost pressure in bars?

you can easily control spike by getting you a effiecnt boost controller, im using the apexi avcr. greddy profec b is also a good one.

DWAYNE H

www.gottude.com
Red/Black/Silver 01 GSXR 750
Lots of Apexi components...

icedoutJul-27-03 10:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#6259, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 5

1 Bar = 14.7psi.... Kid there was no way you hit 2 bar on your setup......
Bar is just the metric measurement of PSI.... which is pounds per square inch.

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

1998 Eclipse RS --show car--

superdavesgstJul-27-03 07:24 AM
Member since Jun 22nd 2002
270 posts,
#6260, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 2

if you are using a t25 turbo, the cat back would make it spike some, t25s are hard to keep from spiking, i gave up on mine, i spiked it hard and ran it harder, the thing was pretty much dead at 50k.
laters
dave

2004 white mach1
k&n fipk,Meziere w/p,mac headers,o/r prochamber, bassani c/b, ported heads&intake,php 3/8" spacer,accel coils & hardcore wires, comp 106400 cams,03 cobra flywheel&clutch,456gear,FR 31spline axles & center diff. steeda shifter & quad adjuster

2001 svt lightning
magnaflow C/B,4lb lower,accufab t.b.,lfp E fan, FR waterpump,punisher VB,obx headers

HybriDSMJul-27-03 10:38 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#6261, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 4
Jul-27-03 10:40 AM by HybriDSM

As Icedout said, bar is the metric measurement for pressure. The way Vandy can be reading in bar is by having Greddy peak/hold gauges (or other non-American gauges). These gauges measures in bar and have a feature that remembers the highest reading the gauge has seen since being reset.

As for answering Vandy's original question, don't go on to an exhaust until you have A) bought a boost contorller of some kind and B) ported the crap out of the turbo if you're going with a 3" exhaust. Even a 14b has to be ported alot to avoid boost creep on a larger exhaust. But as I said, get a boost controller. That and a boost gauge should be the first two mods one gets in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Matt

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

eclipsekaiserJul-28-03 10:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#6262, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 7

my buddies T-25 self destructed last night. The turbo made the ususal hiss then a cool sounding supercharger wind up noise during spool up.

Turned out the vains was scraping against the housing, resulting in chipped/bent/glued against one another turbo vains.

Now I felt bad making fun of the T-25..

I think it was a combination of boost spike (1.78 bar), and heavy compressor surge that killed the turbo. Remember kids, when the turbo spins toward the speed of sound, it shatters the vains.

Any ideas of turbo/ intercooler upgrade?

-K-

chrysler kidJul-28-03 12:15 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#6263, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 8

well my boost gauge says what it says, and at idle its at 750mmg and the stock on is half way to the top s oi think i might have a boost leak some where.

11.65 @ 115

HybriDSMJul-28-03 06:20 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#6264, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 9

^^^^^^^If you are using the stock gauge that is on the gauge cluster, stop. It is garbage. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but the stock "boost gauge" doesn't even read boost, it reads a combination of fairly random things and guesses boost based on that.

If that's not what you meant, then, my bad, but maybe the info will help others.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Vandy420aJul-29-03 07:42 PM
2037 posts,
#6265, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 10

ok sorry about the delay, I think i had anthrax or something...anyways I can't justify porting a T-25 when i'm going to be swapping it in 6months, give or take a month or 2 in either direction. I guess it could be done, but is it worth it? I would like to get exhaust, though, and I guess that means I need to get some form of boost control. should I go w/an MBC until i'm ready for a profec B? I'm planning on gettign a Profec eventually, but I wanted to change out my head unit first <<see post on AV/section about eating cd's>> and then think of a creative way to mount it. Having to get one all of a sudden (wasn't planning on it until like mid-september) will mean alot more work I think. ALso, is a Profec B that much better than an MBC? And can a boost controller control spike that well? I thought that was why one purchased a better wastegate with their turbo...to control creep and spike....

Vandy

P.S. In response to the "bar" issue...everything else on our cars is metric (except the speedo, obv.). I'm not saying don't get a PSI guage, but I find it funny that people flip out when I have metric guages...

klipzracerJul-30-03 11:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#6266, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 11

^^^^cause 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 is a lot easier than this 1.3 or 2.5
bull $h!t.

Mr MikeJul-30-03 05:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#6267, "RE: 1.6bar boost spike w/K&N only?"
In response to Reply # 12

Chrysler Kid, what the hell kind of boost gauge do you have that reads in mmHg? I might have read your post wrong, but you said it's reading 750mmHg at idle; 760mmHg=1atm=1bar=~14.67psi, so 750mmHg=~14.48psi.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6254 Previous topic | Next topic