Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #141
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need help figuring out parts in engine bay" Previous topic | Next topic
blue97tsiawdSep-19-06 04:00 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2006
14 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#141, "Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
Sep-19-06 04:01 PM by blue97tsiawd

I bought a 97 tsi awd and there are some parts lying around in the engine bay and I dont know what they go to. Im knew to the 4G63 so I need some help.

1st piece is this wire coming out from under the fuse box with a pigtail to plug into something but I dont see what it plugs into or what it is for. It was just there dangling.

2nd piece is a wire with a hook and two nipples on it where it looks like hoses should hook up to. I dont know where it connects or what its for either.

3rd piece heres a pic of my intake and it only has to nipples on it and one is capped the other goes to the valve cover and I dont see anywhere to recirculate the bov too. Do I need a new intake to recirculate? And what hose gose to the nipple that is capped?

Heres a pic of the entire engine bay if anyone sees anything else wrong let me know please:talon:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, hookduphatch, Sep-19-06 04:13 PM, #1
RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, 420a-Tnthewerks, Sep-19-06 04:28 PM, #2
RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, blue97tsiawd, Sep-19-06 05:32 PM, #3
      RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, hookduphatch, Sep-19-06 05:39 PM, #4
      RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, hookduphatch, Sep-19-06 05:40 PM, #5
           RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, blue97tsiawd, Sep-19-06 05:52 PM, #6
                RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, 420a-Tnthewerks, Sep-19-06 06:48 PM, #7
      RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, 97eclipse97, Sep-20-06 01:32 AM, #8
           RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, hookduphatch, Sep-20-06 02:38 PM, #9
           RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, blue97tsiawd, Sep-20-06 03:24 PM, #10
                RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, 97eclipse97, Sep-21-06 01:46 AM, #11
                     RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, blue97tsiawd, Sep-21-06 08:01 AM, #12
                          RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-21-06 11:49 AM, #13
                               RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay, T_K, Sep-28-06 01:29 AM, #14

hookduphatchSep-19-06 04:13 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2004
552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#142, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 0

well i can answer at least part of it. you have no bov recirc on that intake. it's set up for an atmosphere vent bov. not a good thing on dsm's from what i've come to understand.

95 Eclipse RS - Sold and In Montana Now
Project 95 GSX - In Full swing.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420a-TnthewerksSep-19-06 04:28 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#143, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 0
Sep-19-06 04:30 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Originally posted by blue97tsiawd
1st piece is this wire coming out from under the fuse box with a pigtail to plug into something but I dont see what it plugs into or what it is for. It was just there dangling.

Cruise Control, which looks like your car doesn't have.

2nd piece is a wire with a hook and two nipples on it where it looks like hoses should hook up to. I dont know where it connects or what its for either.

Factory boost controller selenoid.

3rd piece heres a pic of my intake and it only has to nipples on it and one is capped the other goes to the valve cover and I dont see anywhere to recirculate the bov too. Do I need a new intake to recirculate? And what hose gose to the nipple that is capped?

You need a new intake if you want to recirculate(recommended). The capped hole is for the evap canister(may have been removed).

blue97tsiawdSep-19-06 05:32 PM
14 posts,
#144, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
Originally posted by blue97tsiawd 1st piece is this wire coming out from under the fuse box with a pigtail to plug into something but I dont see what it plugs into or what it is for. It was just there dangling.
Cruise Control, which looks like your car doesn't have.
Originally posted by blue97tsiawd 2nd piece is a wire with a hook and two nipples on it where it looks like hoses should hook up to. I dont know where it connects or what its for either.
Factory boost controller selenoid.
Originally posted by blue97tsiawd 3rd piece heres a pic of my intake and it only has to nipples on it and one is capped the other goes to the valve cover and I dont see anywhere to recirculate the bov too. Do I need a new intake to recirculate? And what hose gose to the nipple that is capped?
You need a new intake if you want to recirculate(recommended). The capped hole is for the evap canister(may have been removed).

Any idea on what the other two pieces are? The plug and the other piece with the two nipples on it

hookduphatchSep-19-06 05:39 PM
552 posts,
#145, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 3

read more carefully under the pictures he quoted. he answered the questions. the plug is for cruise control, the black thing with two nipples is factory boost control solenoid, nipple that's plugged goes to the evap.

hookduphatchSep-19-06 05:40 PM
552 posts,
#146, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 4

and if you'd like to recirc, i have a stock intake pipe i'll sell you on the cheap.

blue97tsiawdSep-19-06 05:52 PM
14 posts,
#147, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks 420a-Tnthewerks you are wise when it comes to the 4G63.

420a-TnthewerksSep-19-06 06:48 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#148, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 6

No prob.

97eclipse97Sep-20-06 01:32 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#149, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by blue97tsiawdAny idea on what the other two pieces are? The plug and the other piece with the two nipples on it

To be more speciific, if you have a manual boost controller, then you should not use even use this! Should be obvious, but you never know. If you do not have DSMLink, then you will have to leave it in though (plugged in to the harness, but no hoses connected) because it will throw a CEL. This car looks like most of the unnecessary stuff (emmissions) have been removed, all though you still have AC.

Oh, and as fas as why it is bad to vent to the atmosphere, look at wherre the mas airflow sensor is: right off of your air filter. This sensor is what tells the car how much air is coming in, so proper fuel ratios can be 'made'. Now, by venting to the atmosphere you are dumping off air that the MAS already accounted for and believes is still in the intake. Because of this, the computer will send too much fuel and most likely the car will stutter a little after shifts. A low idle can also be a symptom. However, not everyone that vents using the stock MAS have symptoms, as it's kind of a hit or miss thing. Finally, the correct way to vent to the atmosphere is using a MAS located after the bov, such as a GM MAS. However I don't recommend this, as it can be a big pain to calibrate.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

hookduphatchSep-20-06 02:38 PM
552 posts,
#150, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 8

the way i'm getting around the recirc problem while still venting to atmosphere is i bought a turbosmart dual port bov. it'll recirc and atmosphere vent at the same time. best of both worlds.

blue97tsiawdSep-20-06 03:24 PM
14 posts,
#151, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 8
Sep-20-06 03:26 PM by blue97tsiawd

Originally posted by 97eclipse97
Originally posted by blue97tsiawdAny idea on what the other two pieces are? The plug and the other piece with the two nipples on it
To be more speciific, if you have a manual boost controller, then you should not use even use this! Should be obvious, but you never know. If you do not have DSMLink, then you will have to leave it in though (plugged in to the harness, but no hoses connected) because it will throw a CEL. This car looks like most of the unnecessary stuff (emmissions) have been removed, all though you still have AC. Oh, and as fas as why it is bad to vent to the atmosphere, look at wherre the mas airflow sensor is: right off of your air filter. This sensor is what tells the car how much air is coming in, so proper fuel ratios can be 'made'. Now, by venting to the atmosphere you are dumping off air that the MAS already accounted for and believes is still in the intake. Because of this, the computer will send too much fuel and most likely the car will stutter a little after shifts. A low idle can also be a symptom. However, not everyone that vents using the stock MAS have symptoms, as it's kind of a hit or miss thing. Finally, the correct way to vent to the atmosphere is using a MAS located after the bov, such as a GM MAS. However I don't recommend this, as it can be a big pain to calibrate.

Yes there is a mbc on it and what do you mean besides that, that most of the unnecessary stuff(emmissions) is not on the car. I dont have any cel tripped. Besides cruise control what else am I missing that would make me fail?

97eclipse97Sep-21-06 01:46 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#152, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 10

Yes there is a mbc on it and what do you mean besides that, that most of the unnecessary stuff(emmissions) is not on the car. I dont have any cel tripped. Besides cruise control what else am I missing that would make me fail?

Because you are AWD, they can't put your car on the rollers, so all they do is a two stage idle test. All you really need to pass this is a catalytic converter, afaik. EGR, charcoal canister, other solenoids (Boost, FPR), A/C, and cruise control can all be ripped out, but still allow you to pass emmissions.

Also, if any air is being vented to the atmosphere post MAS, then no, it is not the best of both worlds, because the same situation still applies. However like I said, you may or may not notice the usual symptoms.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

blue97tsiawdSep-21-06 08:01 AM
14 posts,
#153, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 11

I havent noticed it stuttering when I shift and it idles fine. If I dont have the signs of that can I keep the intake the way it is or should I still recirculate?

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-21-06 11:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#154, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 12
Sep-21-06 11:50 AM by eclipzGST

I havent noticed it stuttering when I shift and it idles fine. If I dont have the signs of that can I keep the intake the way it is or should I still recirculate?

You should recirculate because that's the way the system is designed. Even w/out noticible symptoms, you still are getting a rich spot when you shift.
Your call...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

T_KSep-28-06 01:29 AM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
219 posts,
#155, "RE: Need help figuring out parts in engine bay"
In response to Reply # 13

You can (and IMO should to simplify the mess) also vent with a speed-density system like the AEM EMS or Megasquirt.

But if you just got into these cars you need to recirculate it.

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #141 Previous topic | Next topic