Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1398
View in linear mode

Subject: "'97 GSX 5-speed..." Previous topic | Next topic
NHH223Aug-25-05 06:56 AM
Member since Apr 20th 2004
161 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1398, "'97 GSX 5-speed..."

My boss came across a '97 GSX 5-speed today.

50K on the car
driven by an older woman (40s-50s)
never beat on
never raced
meticulously maintaned by my shop

The price for me is around $6,000. Should I get it? It's red, with grey interior, factory cd and all, should I do it?

I might love my GS-T, but what about a daily driven 95 GS-T and a built/raced 97 GSX? LOL

Let me know your opinons, if I can't afford this car for any reason, who's first in line to come to my shop and drive away with it?

Thanks guys, Nick

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., slowmitsu, Aug-25-05 08:44 AM, #1
RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., FlyinEsi, Aug-25-05 09:15 AM, #2
      RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., WIDECLIPSE, Aug-25-05 09:50 AM, #3
           RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Aug-25-05 11:12 AM, #4
                RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., NHH223, Aug-25-05 11:42 AM, #5
                     RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., nordstrom, Aug-25-05 01:13 PM, #6
                     RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., FlyinEsi, Aug-25-05 01:23 PM, #7
                          RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., soulcontroller, Aug-25-05 03:44 PM, #8
                               RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Aug-25-05 07:57 PM, #9
                                    RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., slowmitsu, Aug-26-05 06:18 AM, #10
                                         RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., NHH223, Aug-26-05 08:49 PM, #11
                                         RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., NHH223, Aug-26-05 08:52 PM, #12
                                              RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., BMPDirk, Aug-29-05 07:24 AM, #13
                                                   RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., RST95eclipse, Aug-30-05 02:06 PM, #14
                                                        RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., RSClipse9d7, Aug-30-05 05:19 PM, #15
                                                             RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., theallpowerfulme, Aug-30-05 06:04 PM, #16
                                                             RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., NHH223, Aug-31-05 10:47 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., Dualgen2, Sep-06-05 05:48 PM, #18
                                                                       RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., 97eclipse97, Sep-08-05 08:25 PM, #19
                                                                            RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., NHH223, Sep-10-05 06:50 AM, #20
                                                                                 RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., destruckeclipse, Sep-17-05 02:14 PM, #21
                                                                                      RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..., NHH223, Sep-18-05 06:34 AM, #22

slowmitsuAug-25-05 08:44 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1399, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 0

Mint 97 GSX > Your beaner GST

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FlyinEsiAug-25-05 09:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#1400, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by slowmitsu
Mint 97 GSX > Your beaner GST

WIDECLIPSEAug-25-05 09:50 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
#1401, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 2
Aug-25-05 09:51 AM by WIDECLIPSE

It's a 5 speed driven by an old lady? You don't see that everyday. I say go for it. That sounds like a damn good deal. I just hate the grey interior. It's like an eye sore. I got to have black and grey.

-Roman

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-25-05 11:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1402, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 3

Why are you even asking us? You should be driving around in your new car by now...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

NHH223Aug-25-05 11:42 AM
161 posts,
#1403, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 4

LOL!!!

Alright guys, now here's comes the hard stuff... can I afford it? Or should I just buy it? My GS-T is a piece of junk only sellable for about $2000 if I get it running mint, fix the hatch holes, and so much other crap.

I need credit and really don't have any. A $6,000 loan def. needs some credit. This is gonna happen fast, real fast. We're talking by mid-september I'll be driving the GSX if I want it to happen.

Guys what do I do? I'm gonna hold onto my GS-T to beat on, and race the GSX for real. BUt getting the GSX, the loan, my parents bitching, EVERYTHING!!!

Here's a few things that might affect me financially...

1) My parents haven't said a word to eachother since Sept 22, 2000. They've been trying to finalize the divorce, but my age, and Iraq kinda messed it up and delayed it. At the end of this month, my house might be up for sale. Gonna need a home!

2) I'm 19. I make $400/wk. I have the title to my GS-T, but my dad pays my insurance, come Nov, I gotta get my own insurance policy. What does a 95 Eclipse GS-T and a 97 GSX look like on an insurance policy? $$$$$!!!!

3) Is there any way you guys can think of me having 2 Eclipses? If it's inevitable that the GS-T must be sold to get the GSX, I might consider it, and swap out my mods into the GS-T (being gauges, a-pillar, center console etc...

So can a wicked Japanese kid afford insurance for 2 turbo cars, payments on a GSX and maintenance on a GS-T? And possibly rent and other crap too, but hey I need ideas!

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

nordstromAug-25-05 01:13 PM
Member since Aug 15th 2002
161 posts,
#1404, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 5

how bad do you want it?

i just traded in my 97 gst heavily modded for a 98 gsx 100% completely unmolested. had quite a few issues with the gst took a bit of a hit on trade in. but refinaced my loan got rid of some other debt and bought the gsx, also comes with a 2year warrenty!

so yeah i got a slower car, but havent looked back, awd is for me. cant wait for winters here in south dakota. now i have two years while it under warrenty to put it though the paces. also i can plan my upgrades, research, and stock pile parts until then.

the gsx is my third 2gen eclipse, went from a gs to gst. said i would never get rid of the gst, but findin a gsx unmodded in great shape are few and far between. all in all im saving money on payments now, just turned 25 so ins dropped few hundred. 2yr warrenty so it wont nickle and dime me to death like the gst did. i tried to hold onto the gst but couldnt swing it, honestly i could not be happier with the new gsx! this will be my last final eclipse, i hope

FlyinEsiAug-25-05 01:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#1405, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by NHH223
LOL!!! Alright guys, now here's comes the hard stuff... can I afford it? Or should I just buy it? My GS-T is a piece of junk only sellable for about $2000 if I get it running mint, fix the hatch holes, and so much other crap. I need credit and really don't have any. A $6,000 loan def. needs some credit. This is gonna happen fast, real fast. We're talking by mid-september I'll be driving the GSX if I want it to happen. Guys what do I do? I'm gonna hold onto my GS-T to beat on, and race the GSX for real. BUt getting the GSX, the loan, my parents bitching, EVERYTHING!!! Here's a few things that might affect me financially... 1) My parents haven't said a word to eachother since Sept 22, 2000. They've been trying to finalize the divorce, but my age, and Iraq kinda messed it up and delayed it. At the end of this month, my house might be up for sale. Gonna need a home! 2) I'm 19. I make $400/wk. I have the title to my GS-T, but my dad pays my insurance, come Nov, I gotta get my own insurance policy. What does a 95 Eclipse GS-T and a 97 GSX look like on an insurance policy? $$$$$!!!! 3) Is there any way you guys can think of me having 2 Eclipses? If it's inevitable that the GS-T must be sold to get the GSX, I might consider it, and swap out my mods into the GS-T (being gauges, a-pillar, center console etc... So can a wicked Japanese kid afford insurance for 2 turbo cars, payments on a GSX and maintenance on a GS-T? And possibly rent and other crap too, but hey I need ideas!

GST/GSX Insurance is the same...unless you are with a company like All-State, I got a discount for AWD

Can you get a loan? A Bank is going to jump all over this...that car is worth at least 9K, if they don't fund you, they are retarded, in that case, I want the car...I'll buy it, drive out, get it, bring it home, and sell it for 10K here in Phoenix.

Can you have 2 eclipses?? At 19, I'd say HELL NO. Pick one and have fun with it. Get rid of your POS GST while you have the chance and get the X, but watch your budget, you don't want the bank takin' that away from you.

soulcontrollerAug-25-05 03:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#1406, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 7

where is it dude, i want to buy it. PM me please :p

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-25-05 07:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1407, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 8

How the hell were you planning on opening a shop if you don't even have enough cash or credit to buy a $6000 car?

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

slowmitsuAug-26-05 06:18 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#1408, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by eclipzGST
How the hell were you planning on opening a shop if you don't even have enough cash or credit to buy a $6000 car?

...and the heavens parted with plain ol' logic falling to earth...

NHH223Aug-26-05 08:49 PM
161 posts,
#1409, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 10

The shop is a different story. The idea on the shop was to get a few random low cost loans, lets say $2k or so, easily co-signed by people that are willing to help me out. Buy up a few machines, lets say tire mounting and tire balancing. I could make some cash at home on the weekends based on my "all payments accepted deal" I'll mount and balance your new 17" low pros for a carton a cigs and bottle of Jack. That kinda stuff.

So, get loans, slowly build credit. Then start saving cash like WOAH! And then find a small garage for lease, get it, get the dyno under a loan, then work my way from there.

Change of plans... my boss is getting old. Far as I know, he's older than 60, but refuses to retire unless he finds a suitable person to take over his business. His 2 sons don't want it, the other 5 mechanics working with me don't wanna get into business crap so he looks at me. After a few years I just might be handed his business. Which he has told me numerous times. Now, granted it's not a performance business, but with the clientel alone, I'm already making money. Now, who's to say I don't get rid of a bay there, toss in a 2WD dyno and make some more money, and also get a few performance parts installs and what not in? Suddenly this reputable shop would be kinda into the performance market too, but surviving on its existing clientel. It'll work.

As for the GSX, I don't know if I'm gonna get it/if I can afford it. For me, it's $6,000. For all you other guys, we're talking maybe $8-9k. It's something I gotta think about and see if I can actually afford it, and then go from there. The lady still has the car, and drives it, just got the MA inspection (MA = CA emissions basically) But it's guaranteed to be in a heated garage and covered as I type this. The car is going no where until my boss can find a new car (prolly a lexus or something) for this lady to get. I got about 1-2 months to get my shit together and figure out if this thing is gonna be mine or not. I got this weekend for starters to think about it, and thinking I have been. Red's not my color, but an un-molested GSX kinda takes the color off your minds, doesn't it? LOL

This would be my THIRD 2nd GEN Eclipse. My GS is STILL in my garage cuz getting it parted out in 6 weeks was the hardest thing I've ever tried. (Been over a year now) My GS-T is running pretty decent, I'm getting f*cked by some kid on DSM trader who took my $50 from paypal and hasnt shipped my valve cover after 3 weeks. All that aside, I'm in search for a co-signer for the loan, and going to save up for a down payment. There's bound to be a bank out there that'll help a Japanese kid get his 3rd Eclipse, and this one actually runs good!!! LOL

Shoot me PMs if you guys want updates/more details on the car. I could talk to my boss for letting this thing go for $7k or so (granted I don't get it). The price goes up AFTER we detail it, wash it, wax it, check it for everything, and put new brakes, fluids, balance the tires, etc etc to make this car perfect.

-Nick

NHH223Aug-26-05 08:52 PM
161 posts,
#1410, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 10
Aug-26-05 08:53 PM by NHH223

BMPDirkAug-29-05 07:24 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#1411, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 12

just wondering, but how old are you?

RST95eclipseAug-30-05 02:06 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#1412, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 13

#2 point on his second post.

RSClipse9d7Aug-30-05 05:19 PM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
915 posts,
#1413, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 14

If you want to have both cars then take on off insurance when it sits. But I think you should sell the GST. If you work in a shop then you know how to do it and you could get it done pretty cheap yourself on weekends and stuff. Save your money and then sell the GST when it comes time to get the X. What you don't have you can get from a loan. As for starting the business... good luck with that. I would take it easy and not try to figure things out yet. It's good to have a plan and everything but I wouldn't get set on a single idea or way of making it happen.

97 RS- Runs, but never driven
2000 Subaru Outback- Daily Driver

theallpowerfulmeAug-30-05 06:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#1414, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 15

I could always use a 4th 2G 4g63 around......

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

NHH223Aug-31-05 10:47 AM
161 posts,
#1415, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 15

I talked to a friend of mine, who has about 3 RX-7s, or has had/has, I don't know but he has one now. He told me that I shouldn't murder myself financially over a 4cyl car. Granted, It's gonna be my 3rd eclipse if I got it, and it's the same inside and out, minus the bumper change and the AWD drivetrain. That being said, I'm opting not to get the GSX. It'd be sweet and all, (yeah, it rolled into my shop again today... and the lady is well over 60!)I'd rather get a 6cyl, rotary, or something else. Eclipses are fun as hell, sweet as hell, and just about the best car I'd want/have had/only cars I've ever had... but I think I should try and get some more food on the plate from the buffet rather than just one thing.

Now you guys are thinking Supra, RX-7, 3000GT VR-4, 300ZX, but to me, the right deal might come along. I might have a lot of money when a low mileage GSX rolls by my shop and actually get a 3rd Eclipse. But for now, I'm gonna be smart about it, and wait it out.

In the meantime, I'm going to build my credit, draw up a few business plans, and see if my boss really wants to hand me his business in a few years.

If anyone is seriously interested in this GSX, our price will be around $9,000 but maybe cheaper if we don't work on it. Might need brakes, a good detail, and basic maintenance and tune-up before it hits the lot, but if you guys catch my boss before all this happens, I bet he'd let it go for cheaper.

Thanks for your help, and I guess I'll be working on my GS-T until that perfect car comes along. (R-34s aren't in America, LOL)

-Nick

Dualgen2Sep-06-05 05:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#1416, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by NHH223
Now you guys are thinking Supra, RX-7, 3000GT VR-4, 300ZX,

That GSX looks like a great buy. I'd pick it up and as for insurance, like George said, some places discount insurance if you have AWD. Just keep in mind that insurance is a lot more for a car like a Supra or VR4 compared w/ the GSX (cause I was quoted on a GSX and VR4)
-Dave

2009 Corolla S - waiting until 2012 for my next toy!
*SOLD* 1992 3000GT VR4 - pearl white and 45,6xx miles!
*SOLD* 2007 Subaru Legacy GT sedan
*SOLD* 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - BPU
*SOLD* 97 Eclipse GS Star Stage 2

97eclipse97Sep-08-05 08:25 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#1417, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by Dualgen2
Originally posted by NHH223 Now you guys are thinking Supra, RX-7, 3000GT VR-4, 300ZX,
That GSX looks like a great buy. I'd pick it up and as for insurance, like George said, some places discount insurance if you have AWD. Just keep in mind that insurance is a lot more for a car like a Supra or VR4 compared w/ the GSX (cause I was quoted on a GSX and VR4) -Dave

Umm, your about 5 months too late bud. I don't think he is gonna get the car...

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

NHH223Sep-10-05 06:50 AM
161 posts,
#1418, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 19

Yeah guys. Def. not getting the GSX, if anyone else wants it, let me know. I have a big change of plans in my life and with my money.

First, im going for about $1,000 for a loan on car parts, so I can build credit. In March/May I'm gonna be looking for a black 97-99 Ecliopse GS, the 10th anniv one is preferred, but my girl wants a 2GNT to drive.

Also in consideration is my parents divorce. A six year battle between laziness and money, I may not have a home come Oct/Nov. Sounds great huh? Moving out has jumped onto my list.

Performance shop wise, I want/need more experience with the auto industry, and see if my boss will hand me his business in a few years. I'll also be building credit up off the car parts, more loans, credit cards, and my girl's 2GNT.

As far as rice burners, my GS-T, I thought about it. 5 months on jackstands, sitting in the car and smoking cigarettes and practicing shifting. The amount of TLC i have dumped into that car... It doesn't matter if I have FWD, AWD, or 1WD, LOL, I'm gonna keep it. I'm stuck with what I have, and I'm gonna do the best I can with it. I might get into the 12s and not be the fastest Eclipse. But sure as hell if I show anyone before and after pics of now and when she's done, people will praise me. You don't see every 2GNT'er with a turbo-kit and LSD dumping their rides for a stock GSX, do you? (or maybe, LOL)

I'll keep this car, give it the best I can, and in the future, if a nice RX-7 rolls into my shop and my boss gives me an offer I cant refuse, I'll go for it!

Thanks guys, Nick

destruckeclipseSep-17-05 02:14 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#1419, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 20

How much is the GSX going to be now, to a new person? I been looking for a 2GB GSX, but they are very hard to find.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

NHH223Sep-18-05 06:34 AM
161 posts,
#1420, "RE: '97 GSX 5-speed..."
In response to Reply # 21

$8,000 to $9,000

If you have the funds right now, I can call you when it hits the shop. If you tell my boss you're gonna pay for it immediately, it would be cheapest. We do a lot of work to used cars to make them better, which increases the sale price.

So, if you get the GSX the day it hits our sales lot, you might be near $7,500 or so. After brakes, detail, and tune up, around $9,000 is the expected sale price.

-Nick

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1398 Previous topic | Next topic