Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11782
View in linear mode

Subject: "'93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold" Previous topic | Next topic
BRU_ceFeb-18-04 09:36 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2003
1457 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11782, "'93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"

My friend wants to get a 1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD with 118,000 miles on it, but I've noticed when you first start 'er up, it will die on you if you don't give it some gas. Once the car is nice and warmed up, there is no problem. I was thinking it might be the BISS (which I haven't checked yet) but it idles fine once you've been runnin around a while and is at optimal temperature.

Also, the clutch pedal seems to stick a little at the end when depressed all the way, making it pretty hard to ease it out and not kill it in first gear because it will just pop out instead of easily flowing out. Kinda hard to explain, but I think you get the gist.

Oh no! My sig died! I'll get another one.
Member and Co-Founder of FLDSM

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold, Diceman19, Feb-19-04 02:21 AM, #1
RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold, BRU_ce, Feb-19-04 06:41 AM, #2
      RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold, TeamJeff_99gs, Feb-23-04 05:19 PM, #3
           RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold, BRU_ce, Feb-24-04 07:19 AM, #4
                RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold, TeamJeff_99gs, Feb-24-04 08:28 AM, #5
                     RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold, HybriDSM, Feb-24-04 08:34 AM, #6
                          RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold, ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-24-04 08:53 AM, #7
                               RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold, BRU_ce, Feb-24-04 09:33 PM, #8
                                    RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold, HybriDSM, Feb-25-04 06:18 AM, #9
                                         RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold, ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-25-04 07:10 AM, #10

Diceman19Feb-19-04 02:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11783, "RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"
In response to Reply # 0

it may have something wrong with the part of the car that keeps the idle high during warm up. dont know what it would be called officially but you may check that and see if it is functioning.

dont no nothing bout no clutches.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BRU_ceFeb-19-04 06:41 AM
1457 posts,
#11784, "RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"
In response to Reply # 1

...the Idle Speed Control motor? (ISC)

Everybody agree with that prognosis?

TeamJeff_99gsFeb-23-04 05:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#11785, "RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"
In response to Reply # 2

Could be ISC. Check to make sure there is no carbon built up on the throttle body. There are a lot of possibilities. Boost leaks, ecu caps, bad sensors, etc. Check the sensors first, then look for boost leaks and make sure the throttle body is nice and shiny

BRU_ceFeb-24-04 07:19 AM
1457 posts,
#11786, "RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"
In response to Reply # 3

Which sensors should I be checking? Does the ECU cap leak apply to every single older 1g, or is it a "some people get screwed, others don't" problem?

TeamJeff_99gsFeb-24-04 08:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#11787, "RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"
In response to Reply # 4

The ECU caps hit every single 1st gen. If you have a 1st gen, chances are your caps are leaking unless they have been replaced already.

The sensors in and around the throttle body and intake manifold should be checked.

HybriDSMFeb-24-04 08:34 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#11788, "RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"
In response to Reply # 5
Feb-24-04 08:35 AM by HybriDSM

Caps go on every single 1g. The TB sensors tend to as well. All of them should be checked. If the ecu smells like fish, you know you are leaking. Also, if you can take the ECU out and look at it, do so. Sometimes the smell isn't pronounced and you'll see the leak. That happened with me.

Edit: Fuck, beaten^^^^^^^

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-24-04 08:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11789, "RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by HybriDSM
Caps go on every single 1g. The TB sensors tend to as well. All of them should be checked. If the ecu smells like fish, you know you are leaking. Also, if you can take the ECU out and look at it, do so. Sometimes the smell isn't pronounced and you'll see the leak. That happened with me.

yup, me too. I couldn't smell anything till I cracked her open. And there were leaking pretty bad.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

BRU_ceFeb-24-04 09:33 PM
1457 posts,
#11790, "RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"
In response to Reply # 7

So am I fucked if they've already started leaking then?

HybriDSMFeb-25-04 06:18 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#11791, "RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"
In response to Reply # 8

If they are leaking, just go on vfaq, look up the part numbers for the caps to replace and order them for 5 dollars off digikey.com. Take it to a stereo repair shop and you'll have them clean the board and put the new caps in and for 25 dollars total you'll have a good as new ECU.

Be sure to clean the board well with rubbing alcohol and Q-Tips. The leaky caps can eat through it and kill it if it stays on there for too long.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-25-04 07:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11792, "RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold"
In response to Reply # 9

Mine had a good sized "spot" where they leaked and it all came right off with a little alcohol and some rubbing.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11782 Previous topic | Next topic