Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subject'93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=11782
11782, '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
Posted by BRU_ce, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My friend wants to get a 1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD with 118,000 miles on it, but I've noticed when you first start 'er up, it will die on you if you don't give it some gas. Once the car is nice and warmed up, there is no problem. I was thinking it might be the BISS (which I haven't checked yet) but it idles fine once you've been runnin around a while and is at optimal temperature.

Also, the clutch pedal seems to stick a little at the end when depressed all the way, making it pretty hard to ease it out and not kill it in first gear because it will just pop out instead of easily flowing out. Kinda hard to explain, but I think you get the gist.
11783, RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
Posted by Diceman19, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it may have something wrong with the part of the car that keeps the idle high during warm up. dont know what it would be called officially but you may check that and see if it is functioning.

dont no nothing bout no clutches. :-)
11784, RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
...the Idle Speed Control motor? (ISC)

Everybody agree with that prognosis?
11785, RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Could be ISC. Check to make sure there is no carbon built up on the throttle body. There are a lot of possibilities. Boost leaks, ecu caps, bad sensors, etc. Check the sensors first, then look for boost leaks and make sure the throttle body is nice and shiny :)
11786, RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
Which sensors should I be checking? Does the ECU cap leak apply to every single older 1g, or is it a "some people get screwed, others don't" problem?
11787, RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The ECU caps hit every single 1st gen. If you have a 1st gen, chances are your caps are leaking unless they have been replaced already.

The sensors in and around the throttle body and intake manifold should be checked.
11788, RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
Posted by HybriDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Caps go on every single 1g. The TB sensors tend to as well. All of them should be checked. If the ecu smells like fish, you know you are leaking. Also, if you can take the ECU out and look at it, do so. Sometimes the smell isn't pronounced and you'll see the leak. That happened with me.

Edit: Fuck, beaten^^^^^^^
11789, RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by HybriDSM
Caps go on every single 1g. The TB sensors tend to as well. All of them should be checked. If the ecu smells like fish, you know you are leaking. Also, if you can take the ECU out and look at it, do so. Sometimes the smell isn't pronounced and you'll see the leak. That happened with me.

yup, me too. I couldn't smell anything till I cracked her open. And there were leaking pretty bad.

11790, RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
So am I fucked if they've already started leaking then?
11791, RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
Posted by HybriDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If they are leaking, just go on vfaq, look up the part numbers for the caps to replace and order them for 5 dollars off digikey.com. Take it to a stereo repair shop and you'll have them clean the board and put the new caps in and for 25 dollars total you'll have a good as new ECU.

Be sure to clean the board well with rubbing alcohol and Q-Tips. The leaky caps can eat through it and kill it if it stays on there for too long.
11792, RE: '93 TSi AWD - Bad idle when cold
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Mine had a good sized "spot" where they leaked and it all came right off with a little alcohol and some rubbing.
I generated this page in 0.0097179412841797 seconds, executing 7 queries.