Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1128
View in linear mode

Subject: "quick question(s)" Previous topic | Next topic
DSMxCutieApr-21-09 09:11 AM
Member since Sep 27th 2005
21 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1128, "quick question(s)"

alright, i want an eclipse. I cant really drive 5spd that good, but i want a manual. You get more control over the car, and more speed. I dont have much money right now, im still in school and working part time, but i heard that eclipses are cheaper in the winter. basically i wanna know if its easy to learn 5spd, and if eclipses are really cheaper in the winter time.
-Samm

-Samm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: quick question(s), FlyinEsi, Oct-26-05 03:40 AM, #1
RE: quick question(s), BigBald, Oct-26-05 04:47 AM, #2
RE: quick question(s), Vandy420a, Oct-26-05 04:48 AM, #3
RE: quick question(s), ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-26-05 04:18 PM, #4
RE: quick question(s), destruckeclipse, Oct-26-05 04:28 PM, #5
RE: quick question(s), DSMxCutie, Oct-26-05 04:29 PM, #6
      RE: quick question(s), ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-26-05 07:22 PM, #7
      RE: quick question(s), Remy, Oct-27-05 08:38 AM, #8
           RE: quick question(s), FlyinEsi, Oct-27-05 09:04 AM, #9
                RE: quick question(s), BigBald, Oct-27-05 12:25 PM, #10
                     RE: quick question(s), 95 Mitsu, Oct-27-05 04:27 PM, #11
                          RE: quick question(s), NHH223, Oct-27-05 09:22 PM, #12
                               RE: quick question(s), DSMxCutie, Oct-28-05 02:17 AM, #13
                               RE: quick question(s), slowmitsu, Oct-28-05 07:57 AM, #14
                               RE: quick question(s), TeamDR1665, Oct-28-05 08:13 AM, #15
                               RE: quick question(s), ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-28-05 12:40 PM, #23
                               RE: quick question(s), ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-28-05 08:31 AM, #16
                                    RE: quick question(s), slowmitsu, Oct-28-05 08:32 AM, #17
                                    RE: quick question(s), NHH223, Oct-28-05 09:31 AM, #18
                                         RE: quick question(s), FlyinEsi, Oct-28-05 09:36 AM, #19
                                         RE: quick question(s), slowmitsu, Oct-28-05 10:02 AM, #20
                                              RE: quick question(s), NHH223, Oct-28-05 10:32 AM, #21
                                                   RE: quick question(s), ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-28-05 12:35 PM, #22
                                                        RE: quick question(s), DSMxCutie, Oct-28-05 01:16 PM, #24
                                                             RE: quick question(s), sonikbewm, Oct-28-05 01:35 PM, #25
                                                                  RE: quick question(s), Chris97RS, Oct-28-05 03:47 PM, #26
                                                                       RE: quick question(s), Jen, Oct-30-05 06:50 AM, #27
                                                                            RE: quick question(s), NHH223, Oct-30-05 07:03 AM, #28
                                                                                 RE: quick question(s), Jen, Oct-30-05 07:42 AM, #29
                                                                                      RE: quick question(s), sonikbewm, Oct-30-05 07:55 AM, #30
                                                                                           RE: quick question(s), Jen, Oct-30-05 08:07 AM, #31
                                                                                           RE: quick question(s), TeamDR1665, Oct-30-05 08:10 AM, #32
                                                                                                RE: quick question(s), ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-30-05 11:56 AM, #33
RE: quick question(s), Tguy, Apr-01-10 04:25 PM, #34

FlyinEsiOct-26-05 03:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1129, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 0

Probably because a lot of people don't want their little sports cars in the winter anymore. But, if you still want a GSX, which I would suggest over a GST, then they usually go up a little in the winter because of AWD. Anybody can take you out and teach you to drive stick. Don't worry about it. After about 20 minutes in traffic you'll have it all figured out.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BigBaldOct-26-05 04:47 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#1130, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 1

I didn't learn to drive 5 Speed until I brought my GS. I learned how to drive it as I drove it home....lol.

As fas as being cheaper, get a TSI AWD Talon. You will save hella coin if price is a concern. Personally, I would shoot for a 95 DSM if I were you.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Vandy420aOct-26-05 04:48 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#1131, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 1

yeah--and if money is an issue go with a first gen GSX...

not knowing how to drive a manual is no excuse not to get one

You'll ONLY learn if you own one and drive it every day, otherwise you'll just kinda "know" how to do it well enough to fuck up someone else's car if you borrow it. I can't tell you how many people say to me "nah man, its cool, I can drive stick". Not if you don't own one, you can't...

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-26-05 04:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1132, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by DSMxCutie
i want a manual. You get more control over the car, and more speed.

You also have the chance to misshift, smoke clutches, loose boost between shifts and break drivetrain parts launching...
How exactly does any of that make you faster??

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

destruckeclipseOct-26-05 04:28 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#1133, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by DSMxCutie i want a manual. You get more control over the car, and more speed.
You also have the chance to misshift, smoke clutches, loose boost between shifts and break drivetrain parts launching... How exactly does any of that make you faster??

Just don't fuck up

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

DSMxCutieOct-26-05 04:29 PM
21 posts,
#1134, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 4

hay, thats what NHH223(nick) taught. i go by what he taught me. but im not saying it from experiance lol. i know its more control though. On my bday me and nick were comming out of the bank, and would have gotten hit if he hadnt shifted and stuff. but i do want to know 5 speed, even if its not wikked fast

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-26-05 07:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1135, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 6

hay, thats what NHH223(nick) taught. i go by what he taught me. but im not saying it from experiance lol. i know its more control though. On my bday me and nick were comming out of the bank, and would have gotten hit if he hadnt shifted and stuff. but i do want to know 5 speed, even if its not wikked fast

your money...

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

RemyOct-27-05 08:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#1136, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 6

You trust him when he is the most confused person on this forum lol

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

FlyinEsiOct-27-05 09:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#1137, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 8

I can't quite contemplate how shifting...and stuff...ever helped me get control of a vehicle, compared to either using the steering, braking, or accelerating. Never shifting... Learn new stuff every day.

BigBaldOct-27-05 12:25 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#1138, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 9

I have no idea what she just said.......

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

95 MitsuOct-27-05 04:27 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
767 posts,
#1139, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 10

If this was coming from a guy you guys would be ripping his ass.

NHH223Oct-27-05 09:22 PM
Member since Apr 20th 2004
161 posts,
#1140, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 11

Here's the story to clearify things...

We pulled out of the bank taking a left turn. A guy In front of us, to our right was also taking a left onto the road we just turned on. He didn't see me, and went, almost into my passenger door. I was upshifting, hit 2nd, slammed on the brakes, down shifted back into 1st, and threw down rubber and all hell and dodged into the left lane, swerved around him, and we were on our way.

She may be confused about a few things. Engine braking during bad weather is better than normal braking. Manually shifting IS more control over acceleration and handling comes hand in hand with whatever RPMs you might be at.

I'm not the most confused person on the forums. I'm getting rid of my GS-T cuz I just got a 91 VR-4, so HAH!

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

DSMxCutieOct-28-05 02:17 AM
21 posts,
#1141, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 12

thank you nick.

slowmitsuOct-28-05 07:57 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#1142, "RE: quick question(s)"
Oct-28-05 07:59 AM by slowmitsu

Originally posted by NHH223
Engine braking during bad weather is better than normal braking.

100% of the time? I think not. That can cause you to lock up your drive wheels (especially FWD) just as easy as hard braking in inclimate conditions.

TeamDR1665Oct-28-05 08:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#1143, "RE: quick question(s)"

I just got a 91 VR-4, so HAH!

Which one?

Manual transmissions always offer better control of engine speed in relation to acceleration/decceleration. This is why they are used in every race vehicle in the world. Sure, it might act like an automatic, in that, you don't have to clutch to shift, but they will stay in gear until they are shifted manually. When it's go time, you either wait for the slushbox to get it's shit together and drop a gear, or you're already in third and take that gap.

I learned to drive bitchshifter and I will avoid getting one at all costs. Thank God BMW still offers a six speed in the 7-series.

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-28-05 12:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1144, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by DR1665
Originally posted by NHH223 I just got a 91 VR-4, so HAH!
Which one? Manual transmissions always offer better control of engine speed in relation to acceleration/decceleration. This is why they are used in every race vehicle in the world.

Not drag racing. I believe Buschurs car has a 3 speed AT.

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-28-05 08:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1145, "RE: quick question(s)"
Oct-28-05 08:32 AM by eclipzGST

We pulled out of the bank taking a left turn. A guy In front of us, to our right was also taking a left onto the road we just turned on. He didn't see me, and went, almost into my passenger door. I was upshifting, hit 2nd, slammed on the brakes, down shifted back into 1st, and threw down rubber and all hell and dodged into the left lane, swerved around him, and we were on our way.

So, having a 5-speed SAVED you from that accident? Sounds to me like having a 5-speed and being an aggressive driver is how you almost CAUSED an accident.

She may be confused about a few things.

Understandable. She can only know what she'd been taught. Judging by her old teacher...

Manually shifting IS more control over acceleration and handling comes hand in hand with whatever RPMs you might be at.

What does handling have to do with rpms?

slowmitsuOct-28-05 08:32 AM
343 posts,
#1146, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by eclipzGST
You ARE confused.

I think that sums it up.

NHH223Oct-28-05 09:31 AM
161 posts,
#1147, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 16

You have a lack of control at lower RPMs, am I wrong about this? Dump your car into 5th gear at 30mph and tell me you feel like you got more control.

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

FlyinEsiOct-28-05 09:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#1148, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 18

You have a lack of control at lower RPMs, am I wrong about this? Dump your car into 5th gear at 30mph and tell me you feel like you got more control.

Control over a car is going to have to deal with speed, not the gear you are in.

Take a corner at 45 in OD, then take it again in 2nd gear and try to tell me your car took that corner easier. You can have a lot more fun coming out of that corner in 2nd, but other than that it should be identical feeling.

slowmitsuOct-28-05 10:02 AM
343 posts,
#1149, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 18
Oct-28-05 10:05 AM by slowmitsu

You have a lack of control at lower RPMs, am I wrong about this?

Control of what? exactly? You are still making no sense.

Dump your car into 5th gear at 30mph and tell me you feel like you got more control.

That's becuase you're making the transmission do something that it was not designed to do. If I'm trying to change the channel on my TV with my toaster I'm sure as hell not going to act confused when it doesn't work.

NHH223Oct-28-05 10:32 AM
161 posts,
#1150, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 20

Sometimes the ability to have more power in a lower gear, gives you in a way, more control over whats going on... Taking that corner in 2nd is gonna be more fun, yes, but the idea of hitting the apex and powering out of the turn in 2nd as opposed to a higher gear at a lower RPM will give you the sense of a lack of control. You guys get me? Staying in the upper RPMs where there is more available power, will give you the necessary control over speed, which in turn, will give you more control over whats going on. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but there has to be an explanation why the hell I shifted back into 1st, swerved to the left, and then romped my way out of almost being hit. I didnt almost cause an accident, the guy was headed for me, BLIND. Either way we didnt die, my car is fine, and yeah I downshifted to get the hell out of there!

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-28-05 12:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1151, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 21

So anyway, I'm going to elaborate on one of your "examples". Lets line up on the highway at a 30mph roll. Put you car in 5th gear and I'll put mine in OD. We'll both romp on it and see what happens. Get my drift? Having a 5 speed gives you "control" over something you don't necessarily need control over.
In your close call scenerio, you had to downshift into first to get out of the other guys way (who was actually in front of you ) How was that any better than just flooring it and letting the car downshift itself? Can you downshift faster than an ATX can shift itself? I guess you've never been in a car that has a shift kit... (which I might add is an $85 part as opposed to an aftermarket clutch, which goes for how much these days?)
Keep on posting whatever you want, I'll keep rebutting with factual info. I've been at this for a long time.

DSMxCutieOct-28-05 01:16 PM
21 posts,
#1152, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 22

the guy was comming from our right, and what i meant by "control" is we got out of there quicker because nick controlled the shifting, as if in an automatic, the car would have done it its self, and not even of known what the frig was going on.. ya get what im saying.

anyways, is it that hard to learn 5speed, or should i just get an auto?

sonikbewmOct-28-05 01:35 PM
Member since Dec 01st 2001
4011 posts,
#1153, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 24
Oct-28-05 01:36 PM by sonikbewm

Reading Nick's responses to this is like watching a retard try to hump a door knob.

I think you'd be better off with an auto.

Jason
'11 Ford Mustang GT/CS
'11 Ford Mustang V6 6-Speed (SOLD)
'04 Nissan 350z Touring (SOLD)
'95 Turbo Eclipse GS (SOLD and will be missed)
'90 Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Chris97RSOct-28-05 03:47 PM
Member since Jul 21st 2005
229 posts,
#1154, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 25

Originally posted by sonikbewm
Reading Nick's responses to this is like watching a retard try to hump a door knob. I think you'd be better off with an auto.

I think i almost just pissed myself reading that.

but to put my .02 in, an auto is better initially learn how to drive.( if i remember right from a previous post, this will be your first car) if this is the car your going to learn how to drive on, then you need to worry less about when to shift and how to shift, you just need to learn to judge the car and how to stay in your own lane. just IMO, but i would get the hang of driving period before i went out and got a mtx and had even more to worry about at the same time.

DSM= Doesn't Start Monthly

JenOct-30-05 06:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#1155, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 26

I'm not the most confused person on the forums. I'm getting rid of my GS-T cuz I just got a 91 VR-4, so HAH!

What does one thing have to do with the other?

Wait! You're just trying to get the rest of us so confused that you won't be the most confused anymore! Well, you're not fooling me

To get back on topic, I didn't know how to drive a 5-speed when I got my first Talon. My dad had to test drive it cause I couldn't. A couple weeks later I drove it everywhere. I tought my brother how to drive a 5-speed at in a mall parking lot. We just did circles around the mall for a couple hours - LOTS of stop and goes.

I don't think the season has enough - if any - impact on pricing of DSMs to be worth it...

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

NHH223Oct-30-05 07:03 AM
161 posts,
#1156, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 27

Any convertable becomes cheap in the winter, unless its a garaged Corvette or something that a rich dude has. Then the price won't drop at all.

JenOct-30-05 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#1157, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 28

Any convertable becomes cheap in the winter

Most people simply wait till spring.

sonikbewmOct-30-05 07:55 AM
Member since Dec 01st 2001
4011 posts,
#1158, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 29

I now nominate you to be the poster child of why people shouldn't do drugs.

Jason
'11 Ford Mustang GT/CS
'11 Ford Mustang V6 6-Speed (SOLD)
'04 Nissan 350z Touring (SOLD)
'95 Turbo Eclipse GS (SOLD and will be missed)
'90 Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

JenOct-30-05 08:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#1159, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 30

Originally posted by sonikbewm
I now nominate you to be the poster child of why people shouldn't do drugs.

Again? Don't you think we need a new face after seeing him for 8 years?

TeamDR1665Oct-30-05 08:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#1160, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 30

Tony, it's good to see you champion the ATX, but really, there's just something about having the wheels directly connected to the engine without some fluid having to move a convertor that I like. ATX feels slushy and sloppy most of the time. Sure, I would love to have one when I'm sitting in rolling gridlock for an hour on my way home from work, but otherwise, I'll just stick with the T350 and call it good. I'll never buy another ATX car - ever. Sorry.

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-30-05 11:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1161, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 32

I just want everyone to understand that I'm not saying an ATX is better. I'm just saying that it's not bad...
Yes, there good and bad things about both depending what you are doing with the car. If you're going to roadrace or auto-X, yes you NEED a stick. If you're just going to just be driving the car around and maybe a race here and there on the street (if thats what she'll be doing), it doesn't really matter. The point is, Nick told her that 5 speeds are "better" and "you have more control over the car". For a street drivin car, thats just plain false...
Also, has anyone noticed that alot new cars (even the performance cars) have clutchless manual trasmissions. They are basically ATX's with more gears.

TguyApr-01-10 04:25 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2010
21 posts,
#13151, "RE: quick question(s)"
In response to Reply # 0

you will learn just get a manual.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1128 Previous topic | Next topic