Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19765
View in linear mode

Subject: "HELP PLEEEASE ASAP" Previous topic | Next topic
LeakyMitsuSep-06-03 07:38 AM
Member since Nov 15th 2002
311 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19765, "HELP PLEEEASE ASAP"

i just took the calipers off to put new rotors on and one of my brake pads fell out, the inside pad was worn all the way down, the outside pad is fine, tons of pad left. anyone know whats going on and how to fix it? thanks
Brandon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP, Squid, Sep-06-03 02:17 PM, #1
RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP, turbo8u, Sep-09-03 02:25 PM, #2
      RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP, TeamDR1665, Sep-10-03 12:12 PM, #3
           RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP, turbo8u, Sep-10-03 02:56 PM, #4
                RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP, jerseystyle1, Sep-11-03 03:25 AM, #5
                     RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP, turbo8u, Sep-11-03 02:05 PM, #6

SquidSep-06-03 02:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19771, "RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP"
In response to Reply # 0

What conditions were the guide pins in?

It sounds like the guide pins and/or the holes they go into are rusted and the pins seized. Rather than the caliper sliding on the pins clamping both pads to the rotor the caliper piston is just pushing the inside pad against the rotor.

Clean out the guide pin holes, get new guide and lock pins, and grease them well.

-J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

turbo8uSep-09-03 02:25 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#19815, "RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP"
In response to Reply # 1

who cares how they were...

just put them on right this time, whoever put them on last time messed somethin up. could be that they used a used pad and a new one...
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

TeamDR1665Sep-10-03 12:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#19843, "RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP"
In response to Reply # 2

Reeaaaallllyyy....

Just about every time I have done my brakes in the past couple years, they are like that. Not so extreme, but definitely more wear on the inner pads than the outers. I figured this was due to the design of the calipers. Single piston really only pushes from the one side, so I figure that side pretty much rests against the disc most of the time. I've never liked this setiup, but a costly piece to change out and I have bigger fish to fry right now. Also, my guide/lock bolts are mint. Just clean em off at every change and add fresh lube.

Of course, after 145,000 miles, they could use a rebuild, hehe.

turbo8uSep-10-03 02:56 PM
10552 posts,
#19844, "RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP"
In response to Reply # 3

145,000 miles on one pair of pads?!

holy mother you must drive like a monk
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

jerseystyle1Sep-11-03 03:25 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#19852, "RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP"
In response to Reply # 4

>145,000 miles on one pair of pads?!
>
>holy mother you must drive like a monk

I think he was talking about the caliper

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

turbo8uSep-11-03 02:05 PM
10552 posts,
#19863, "RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP"
In response to Reply # 5

we hope

145k on a pair of pads isnt even possible lol unless of course ut woing the car
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19765 Previous topic | Next topic